AMD Ryzen 3000 with 12 and 16 cores will be coming as well

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 10, 2019.

1. mentor07825

mentor07825 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    I hear that. I'm on the same boat as you, RX480 8GB card and I bought a new 1440p monitor. I was looking forward to a competitive card at that price point. It being a fantastic budget content creation card is all well and good, but I'm not in that target market.

2. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    You need to understand, Yes AMD knows's that we all wanted to hear about NAVI, but look at that from AMD's side: They need to help their partners to get rid of the Crypto overstock, and if Lisa told Gamer's that We are releasing 250$ GPU that can match/beat VEGA - no one would buy the VEGA 56/64 for the next 6 moth till the NAVI/Ryzen launch! and this way AMD could *** their partners, AMD and their partners need this 6 month to clear the old stock and then all will be replaced by NAVI while Vega7 gonna be on top for small premium for content creators who need 16GB HBM 1TB/S memory.

3. varkkon

varkkon Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1080 Ti
    The new Threadripper is going to be INSANE! Check please.

4. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    From PC World interview with Lisa Su
    "
    While Su didn’t say for certain that the upcoming 3rd-generation Ryzen would ship with more than the eight cores that she announced on stage, well, it wasn’t hard to read between the lines. “If you look at the evolution of Ryzen, we’ve always had an advantage in core count,” Su said.

In the demonstration showed onstage—comparing a 3rd-generation eight-core, 16-thread Ryzen against an Intel Core i9-9900K, which lost to the Ryzen chip in the Cinebench benchmark—Su said that she wanted to establish a head-to-head comparison, using comparable core counts.

“Some people may have noticed on the package some extra room,” she said with a chuckle. “There is some extra room on that package and I think you might expect we will have more than eight cores.”"

Robbo9999 likes this.

5. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Everybody seems to be drooling over the 12 or 16 cores parts but i only have eyes for the 8 cores part. If that´s really the future 3600x for a price of around 250€ then that thing is going to be an amazing CPU! 9900K performance at half the price!

Maddness, schmidtbag and fantaskarsef like this.
  6. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Imo 9900k is already old tech,old Core tech.Jimmy Keller will add Intel into the future after long milked Core tech.

Ryzen 3000 8c/16t at 4.5-4.7 GHz will be a hit,only if they resolve latency with I/O put it on other chip.Nano-seconds that matter.

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Will be interesting to see how cooling and such works with the core up in the corner like that or the chiplet rather, meh guess the Noctua solution is still valid huge block of copper will fix it just fine. :p
    (Or a small block and a liquid solution with a decent pump and radiator really. :D )

Guessing the IO bit there could technically be shrunk too at some point and then they could have room for three chiplets and whatever the core count would be though it's probably more complex underneath with memory and wiring it all up so that's going to be interesting to hear more about closer to launch.

EDIT: And memory and latency and that once more.

8. magiQx

magiQx Active Member

GPU:
    vega 64
    Cant wait for it to finally hit the market. it sucks a bit for me that AMD changed their mind about the GPU's. Not 2 months ago i got myself a vega 64 nitro+. If i had known that they will bring the new GPU lineup to the consumers i would have waited.

9. slicer

slicer Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64
    They are delaying the launch right now because they want to wait for X570 chipset with pci-e 4.0.
    That is quite idiotic to me. Right now would be ideal to attack with 8C 65W and 95W CPU's which would work just fine with current high end X370/X470 or even better cooled B350/B450 motherboards.
    And then later release the 125W monster of a 16C 5.0ghz cpu for X570.
    It seems they still don't know how to exist on this market right now when Intel is in the mud, trying to get out.

10. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    I'm not sure that's the case. Seems like it just isn't ready. If it was, they could have released the 8c model already and let it run on the x470 motherboard.

11. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Definitely a game changing cpu Ryzen 3000 16 cores 32 threads will be :) ...

Maddness and fantaskarsef like this.
  12. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800

Maybe they are waiting for people/retailers to update their BIOS/UEFI, they don't want what happened with Ryzen 2000 again

fantaskarsef likes this.
  13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    This. Not that I died because of it, but buying a new CPU and a mainboard that says it's supported, yet simply does nothing when you boot it is an experience that might bring many people to not buy AMD again.
    Luckily this issue was known after quite a short time, so it was easy to find older APUs to update the BIOS for cheap (used ones), and I even got sent a seperate new BIOS chip itself by my manufacturer without any hassle for me, just needed to contact them (ASrock)

14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    As I said in a thread yesterday, it's also possible that extra corner will be used for the iGPU.

Chiplets obviously aren't built to hinder performance, but every additional layer of abstraction or communication you make will add to latency. I'm sure a monolithic die would still have better latency than chiplets. But... that doesn't at all mean I'm against chiplets. Sacrificing latency isn't always a bad thing, when you take RAM for example - generally, the bandwidth increases over every DDR variation outweigh the losses in increased latency. I'm sure this chiplet design is no different.

No offense but wasn't it kinda obvious? AMD is overdue for a new compelling consumer-grade GPU and they've expressed they're still interested in being in that market. Take Navi for example (which is the GPU people were expecting to hear about; not the Radeon 7).

Killian38 likes this.
  15. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Saw some talk on X370/X470. I'm certain we will see simple BIOS updates for all AM4 motherboards. The chiplet design will change nothing in that regard since AMD already stated these are AM4 compatible. The only issue that I see with plugging Ryzen 3 into an existing older motherboard is the 12 and 16 core variants power draw. However many higher end boards should handle the higher power requirements just fine. This also means you will still have dual channel memory since that is part of the AM4 pin out which may be a little limiting once you hit 16 cores.

What I think many people are missing is that PCIe 4.0 may very well be coming to the older boards as well since it is on CPU. Not sure if anyone can confirm this but it should be completely possible to drop in a Ryzen 3 cpu and have PCIe 4.0 compatibility.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019

16. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    @schmidtbag It wasn't obvious that AMD was making a Vega II consumer variant. Sure AMD is way overdue for a consumer card but everything AMD said prior was that they were making a pro version only. I half thought they would have something like this but there wasn't a lot of indications they would do so. Since Navi wasn't even mentioned I wonder if its delayed or they simply wanted to milk the Vega II and will talk about navi in a couple months? AMD needs to get Navi freaking moving along.

Maddness likes this.
  17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I agree, hence the last sentence of my last comment.
    Yup, pretty much what I was thinking. I feel like this Radeon 7 is mostly just a placeholder.

Maddness likes this.
  18. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    Can't wait for reviews. Will it need to have game mode enabled in drivers? Will it work better with extra threads disabled? Will it cost arm and a leg? Fun times ahead. :)

Undying likes this.
  19. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    i can only dream with 3000 series threadripper... i really hope 64 cores CPUs to be seen this year or first half 2020

20. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU