AMD Releases 2015 Third Quarter Results

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    AMD announced revenue for the third quarter of 2015 of $1.06 billion, operating loss of $158 million, and net loss of $197 million, or $0.25 per share. Non-GAAP operating loss was $97 million and non-...

AMD Releases 2015 Third Quarter Results

2. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Just let it RIP already, it's been like beating a dead horse.

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Still can't believe how many Nvidiots (referring to their attitude, not their GPU choice) want AMD to go under. The only thing achieved by such a thing is that a GTX 970 equivalent will cost the same as a GTX 980. Anybody believing they won't hike the prices as such really doesn't know how the world works. The other thing that competition drives is innovation. Sure, there has been performance improvement from Sandy Bridge --> Ivy Bridge --> Haswell --> Haswell Refresh --> Broadwell --> Skylake, but considering Skylake is truly three architecture generations beyond Ivy Bridge, the performance really isn't 'astounding'. The main performance boost has been on the graphics side of things, which isn't really beneficial for those wanting an i5-6600K to game (discrete cards). The only reason for the improved graphical performance is competition... from AMD APU's. No CPU competition, no real performance benefit, integrated graphics competition, improvement. If only Ivy Bridge had AVX2 and FMA3. Same would apply for Nvidia. No competition, no real drive to do exceptional things.

REMEMBER THIS
    Nvidia and Intel are companies. Most companies main objective is profit, NOT to benefit you. When there's competition, they want to make you happy so you buy from them. By benefiting you, they benefit themselves as you are more likely to buy, and rebuy from them rather than trying alternative brands. If there's no competition, why would they want to spend any more than they have to, just to make you happy? No point, because it's not as if you have any other choice!

I've mentioned this before on another forum, and there were a couple of replies from Nvidiiots who said they don't care, they can afford it. How stupid are they, wanting to pay more for potentially less just because they despise AMD.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2015
  4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Chillin is posting only for one reason on Guru3D. He posts to incite flame or to insult someone.
    He probably want to degrade us to wtftech level or is their top contributor in comment section.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015

5. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Never understood fanbois. What do they get out of it? Nothing. Shocking behaviour. Narrow sighted too.

6. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Oh dear. Revenues down 26% yoy and margin down 2%. Definitely not a trend that you want to be seeing!

7. Weecka

Weecka Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX4080 OC
    Just ignore the fanboys. They don't understand that the only way consumer wins price and/or performance-wise, is if the company (who's products they're buying) have a very good competition. If they don't, then one manufacturer can control the market ( cough* intel *cough) charging whatever they want and not pushing the products, performance-wise. My 2700k (oc'd to 4.8 gHz) is gonna keep going for another few years easily as i still can play most (almost all, with few exceptions) games maxed out @2560x1440... just sad

8. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    I agree totally including the part about the 2700k.

9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The other thing to consider is if Nvidia were the only contender in the discrete GPU market, fanboi's can not longer be fanboi's. You can like the products still, but being a fan of a monopolistic 'empire' would make them a corporate stooge.

10. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    It seems to me that some people (not necessary in this thread) go in the other extreme, and "hate" on nvidia because AMD is doing bad as a company... there are several reasons why nvidia can be criticized, but not this.

That being said, I totally agree that prices are already ridiculous in both CPU and GPU market, it's like every generation comes out more expensive than the last, without justification. So if AMD would go down, these already absurd prices will go up even further, so no, I don't want them to go down... on the contrary, and I haven't had and AMD card (actually ATi) since my 9800 PRO!

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I haven't supported Intel for years simply based on principle. I know that their products are better, but I've never needed the performance they offer, and I still don't. If you want healthy competition, you don't buy what's best simply because you can: you support the company that fulfills your needs. That being said, I've used plenty of ARM based systems. EDIT: But, I would like to point out that I pretty much only consider Intel when it comes to laptops.

As for nvidia, they also tend to make better products, but there are 2 things I really don't like about them - their ego, and their cripplingly proprietary nature. Nvidia, as a company, acts like they're better than everyone, including those who are more successful than them. They're so full of themselves that they lose out on major deals (such as the consoles) or push away companies that could have otherwise helped them (such as intel). They support fantastic technologies (such as physx, CUDA, G-Sync, Optimus, etc) but see it as bad practice to have a hardware company make software restrictions.
    All that being said, I do still sometimes buy nvidia GPUs, but only when AMD doesn't have a product that can do what I want it to do.

Anyway, personally, I'd like AMD to get bought out by someone like IBM or Qualcomm. IBM would help level out the performance (but would be more expensive and mostly just focus on servers) while Qualcomm would focus more on consumers. Both companies are already somewhat knowledgeable of AMD's technologies.

12. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    So you feel they make better products, but you don't like that they acknowledge that fact? Your problem with them they aren't humble enough?

Isn't having feelings for a publicly traded company the very definition of fanboyism?

:thumbup:

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    No? But, putting words in my mouth to favor your viewpoint could be considered fanboyism.

I don't like supporting companies that fight dirty and unashamedly put themselves before the consumer. Both Intel and Nvidia are notoriously anticompetitive. I don't really care if a company is wealthy and gloats about it. It's unattractive, but not a good reason to boycott them. That being said, I never said anything about Intel not being humble enough, and my complaints toward Nvidia's ego was how it stifles innovation, hurts the consumer, and in turn hurts themselves. Nvidia would be a lot more successful if they looked forward rather than pointing their nose in the air all the time.

14. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Hey I am trying my best to keep money in their pockets. I love my Tri-X Fury!

15. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 7900XT Gaming OC

If IBM or Qualcomm, will buy AMD, it certainly will not produce x86 CPUs or dGPUs. The same applies to most of the other potential buyers. Nobody will pay to risk investing billions of dollars to start the fight in the market where there are some competitors like Intel or NVidia.

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Huh? The main reason to buy out AMD is because of x86. Also, IBM is already directly competing with Intel with PPC (which today is a lot less valuable than x86) and Qualcomm is already directly competing with Nvidia's Tegra series. IBM has already made plenty of deals with AMD in the past (and, if it weren't for IBM, AMD wouldn't have got as far as they did) while Qualcomm's GPUs are based on hardware AMD/ATi created.

I'm not saying either company will buy AMD or even consider it, I'm just saying that if a company is to buy AMD's remaining assets, those 2 are good options.

17. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 7900XT Gaming OC
    PPC market is not the same as the x86 market. Intel has a 98% of the PC market with x86 - I wrote about this market. The same applies to NVidia. It is one thing to compete with Tegra, who had just trying to win market, and quite another to compete with NV GPUs for PCs. The chance that a new player will bite a piece of cake in the markets dominated by the Inel and NV is very small. Contrary to what most think is not a licensees of x86 or GCN technologies are attractive for other companies, but their patents in other areas.

18. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Again, what does AMD have to offer any buyer? They sold off the mobile GPU division, their FABS, etc., etc. They have little to no market presence and their losses are increasing, and they have no X86 patent to transfer. What do they actually have to offer?

Remember, Microsoft paid 30+% more for Minecraft than what AMD is worth now just to put it in perspective.

19. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Grow up...

20. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Is your username meant to be ironic? :D you need to chill.