AMD Confirms Ryzen 4000 ‘Zen 3’ Desktop CPU Compatibility With X570 & B550 Motherboards – No Plans T

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by jwb1, May 7, 2020.

1. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Yeah I know that the size of the BIOSes have to do with the graphics and organizational menus. I mentioned this one of my previous postings.
    Yeah who knows what the actual limitation is that Steve mentioned.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  2. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
  3. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Very interesting. Also another interesting thing is that AMD is doing is having users verify that they purchased a Zen3 CPU in order for them to get access to the BIOS. Here is one way how they could verify a user purchased a Zen3 CPU by asking the user to post a copy of their invoice from the place of purchase. Another good thing is that the BIOSes won't be available right away for x470 and b450 boards which is a good thing because there will be polished BIOS with very few bug vs like what happened with Zen2.

4. JethroTu11

JethroTu11 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1050ti
    I thought that might happen. I hoped my B450 could one day run a Ryzen 4000. I don't know if I'll ever buy one but it is nice to have the choice. I sure wasn't going to buy another motherboard. I was an early adopter of AM4. I didn't expect the ability to use 4 different series of cpus but hoped it would happen. Had AMD refused any support for Zen3 on B450, I'd be less likely to adopt early and less generous in any future purchases. They may sell me two more AM4 cpus instead of one. I really would have been angry if I had recently bought a B450 or X470 paired with a Ryzen 5 3600 or better.

I somewhat understand AMD's difficulties. AM4 UEFI has been somewhat of a mess. They were underfunded so it wasn't a great surprise. I wasn't happy flashing my B350 more times than I had flashed all my BIOSes the previous 20 years.

I'm glad AMD did this. They're more likely to retain my loyalty. They need to do that. I only bought AM3 and FM2 parts because of past deals they had given me.