AMD Announces Radeon R9 Fury Graphics Card

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Hmm Makes me wonder why AMD only stuck with 2 partners with the non fury X cards? To me this is kind of weird.

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    It wasn't AMD's call. It is the board partners that made the decision to make them or not.

4. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    Not to be rude, but isn't that a sign that something has gone terribly wrong?

5. mcfart

mcfart Guest

GPU:
    HD 5970
    The Fury will probably be the "value" card that people are looking for (until the Nano comes out), at least compared to the overpriced Fury X. The Fury has -50mhz on the core clock and missing some shader processers, but besides that it's the same as the Fury X (at least from what I saw). And -$100. If it's within 2-3FPS of the Fury X, then it should act like AMD's 980TI, where it's basically the same performance for less money.

If it's too much worse then the Fury X, or runs at 94c, then it will be another flub. Hopefully AMD get this one right.

Dunno, but maybe it has something to do with the low yields of HBM? AMD's bringing out the Fury in a week or something, aren't they? Even though they're having yield problems with the Fury X being sold out because of HBM.

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Hilbert, do you know what the TDP of this card is? I'm kinda curious to know how much that WC on the X effects the leakage. I've heard estimates as high as 30w.

7. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    275W (similar) as listed in the included specs image.

8. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Oh Ok that makes sense. Thinks for the info boss.

9. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
  10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The pictures at the bottom don't load for me =( -- I've been having a bunch of problems with the latest Win10 build & Chrome.

Anyway I find it interesting that the WCing on the Fury X effected the TDP so much.

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Seems like an oc 980 can catch this card. Wonder how a 980 at 1500 would fare with an oc fury?

12. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Yep, there is much confusion regarding the embargo's, Seems like AMD doesn't give a crap anymore. Anyway, our sample won't be in until Monday.

13. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Loads of reviews out, X is redundant now, this is the one to get get.

14. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    They guys at Anadtech wrote that the cards are only to go on sale on the 14th but that the embargo is lifted today. Maybe that´s the reason this happened, somebody must have confused the dates...

15. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Yep just glanced at the review on Anandtech and seriously what the hell is going on here?

The Fury is only like 2-4fps slower in games like BF4, Crysis 3, and FC4!???

This makes no sense, the Fury X has 4096 stream processors, higher ROP's, Higher texture units, higher clock speed, basically higher everything (yes some are only slightly higher).

The Fury X should on paper be at least 10fps more in almost every game but it simply isn't.

Could this be driver related? API related? Will DX12 really make these cards shine?

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The ROPs are the same and most people believe that the Fury X is held back by the ROP count. This basically just reinforces that. Also it only has 13% more shaders.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  17. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Just read the review of Anandtech and it seems AMD has a winner with this card. And the card from Sapphire seems amazing!

18. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    It's pointless to talk about differences in absolute FPS. What is the original framerate for the Fury X? Percentages make total sense.

The Fury X won't be faster in 10FPS if the game in question is running at 20FPS on the Fury, for example... And no game in the benchmark runs the same as the other, so what's the point of absolute differences?

19. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Even makes the 390s redundant as well, as supposedly going to be around £400/£450 here in the UK, im thinking about cancelling my X order, and just grabbing a one of these instead, was only going for the X for the AIO cooler, and its cracking temps. :p

20. baasgene

baasgene Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 3080 Tuf OC
    not bad Amd, not bad at all. With this you may very well look like the bang for buck king once again in the high performance bracket.

But alas, I'm still going full steam with my purchase of the Ti Hof