Alienware knows better than you do.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by r3claim3r, Feb 24, 2005.

1. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    I found this one amusing.

http://www.alienware.com/build_vs_buy_pages/index.aspx

You'll have to read through all the following pages.

Talk about talking down on people. I wonder how many people would get offended by this part of their website. One thing really caught my eye:

http://www.alienware.com/build_vs_buy_pages/style.aspx

A GENERIC GREY BOX?!
    I guess they've never browsed the Guru 3D rig gallery here or checked on newegg and browsed through their cases.

I'm not disputing an Alienware's performance. I mean, if you have one, great! Enjoy it! Please, no flames. I just find it ironic in this day and age where customer satisfaction is so important yet Alienware seems to think that customers lack sufficient knowledge to be able to build their own computer.

And as for style, that's subjective. I believe that other case manufacturers like Aspire have caught up with Alienware, so Alienware doesn't seem to stand out. There are even some cases that vaguely resemble Alienware's.

2. chungdy

chungdy Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek PX8800 GTS
    And now DIY is for losers...... what a good ad from alienware

this is good.......
    http://www.alienware.com/build_vs_buy_pages/forums.aspx

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
  3. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    DIY's is the only thing holding alienware back from having all the extreme gamers and performance buffs.

They will do what ever they can to get the extreme gamers support.

I use a grey box, i cant stand led's and lights glowing when im trying to play a game with the lights off.

"My DIY cost half as much as what alienware would cost me."

4. AnakinSolo2002

AnakinSolo2002 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS ENGTX580 DCII
    of course they happned to leave the COST factor out of that....

as well as the fact it's a hell of a lot more fun to do it your self!!!

and the fact that you had to pussy up and are too much of a wuss to do anything for yourself.

5. Recrofne

Recrofne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    I love custom cases, kick ass paint jobs, case windows and so many lights you're almost guaranteed to have an epileptic seizure!

Alienware just wants to try and put down the people who don't pay $1000 for two hours of labor and can create a great machine themselves. Making it seem "uncool" not to use an Alienware. Those extra troubleshooting steps they tossed in have never been an issue for me.

6. AnakinSolo2002

AnakinSolo2002 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS ENGTX580 DCII
    I also love the shipping part...

yes it would be great to get it ALL at once, but guess what happnes if your one ALL at once alienware shipment gets stuck in a plane that crashes, somehow gets caught on fire, or gets lost somewhere 'cause they say "Alienware" on the side.... Tough luck buddy, you can kiss your $7,000 good bye, on the other hand if it's all shipped separatelly if one package gets lost you are only at loss for that one.

7. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Um, ok...but ive never really had to troubleshoot any problems, Ive always read the manuals that came with the components if anything came about, or just fiddled around in the case with jumpers, and cables until the problem was gone.

8. Royicus

Royicus Ancient Guru

seriously, alienware needs to get a clue. I bet you take some of the best from guru3d, and we could build one hell of a kick ass computer that would crush anything that came out of an alienware shop in both performance and looks. Well, maybe not performance since the hardware could be the same, but it would look just as good if not better than alienware, have more features and functionality, and be an all around better PC.

Stuff like this makes me sick. What is great is I've been convincing people not to buy prebuilt computers, and talking people out of getting or thinking that getting an alienware is so great. Don't get me wrong, they are great computers, just overpriced and quite frankly, overrated.

My opinion of alienware just took a huge turn south. they really are talking down to people that make their own computer.

I find such pleasure in hearing people say stuff like, "alienware is great, they make the best stuff," and showing them my computer. "Made her myself," I proudly say. "Doesn't get much better than that!"

alienware sooooo full of, dare i say it . . . crap

DIY pc building is as good as it gets my friends, as long as you know what you are doing :p

9. lol, to a degree i know what they mean by this. some armchair gurus think they are uber-genius's, current example is everyone's trend to point to 'bottleneck' problems, or are so fanboy that the answer they give u is skewed by their fanboy bias.

10. chungdy

chungdy Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek PX8800 GTS
    lol, only in Guru3D.... where fanboyz are protected species

11. MrRand0m

MrRand0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5850
    don't bag em too much....

I wish we had a company in .au that build real computers - that way ppl wouldnt go out and buy f*cking HP's - which cost almost as much for a tenth of the performance.

Not everyone can build thier own or tinker with thier own PC - alienware rigs have a good place in the market - for those ppl who don't wanna learn how to build thier own!!!!

but yes - I agree... cheaper and more fun to build ur own. I personally would never buy one. But for the less computer literate, at least they provide decent systems :)

12. Damnit

Damnit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6700XT
    Hell, Id rather learn how to build my own computer if I didnt already know how to. That way if something craps out or is DOA, I would know how to fix it rather than spend more money or rely on someone else to buy new parts or fix the problem.

13. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    /me have an ideea! Someone should scrap old alienware cases, fix them, polish them so they are brand new, and sell them for 100$ barebone, so people can add all sorts of goodies they want in them!

14. Firefox_1

Firefox_1 Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB
    Actually at my local PC store they sell those Alienware cases in a variety of colours as well. Interesting.

15. Lx3

Lx3 Master Guru

GPU:
    6800GT 256MB(ViewSonic P95f+SB)
    disagreed.

it doesnt haveto look good in order to catch people's eyes. it just has to look powerful :p

[​IMG]

16. Pr0v

Pr0v Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus A9600XT/TD
    alienware obviously targets groups of people who have the cash to afford an alienware pc, but dont know what BIOS mean.

17. DboneU68

DboneU68 Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 9800 XT
    NOTE TO ALIENWARE: If this is a challenge, I accept. I am sure that there are several people here who will also accept this challenge.

Seriously, if I wasn't laughing so hard, I might find this offensive.

18. MastA

MastA Guru3d's P.I.M.P.

GPU:
    BFG GeForce 6800 GT OC AGP
    Say what Alienware!?!? oh "GG" you say? why yes indeed.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
  19. nout

nout Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek A400 TDH (Geforce 6800) 128
    i wonder how they would manage internet support if the networking component is damaged

20. fhertlein

fhertlein Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670 SLI
    I like the part about messing around with the jumper and BIOS settings, etc.

Half the reason people DIY is for the joy of tweaking all the settings and getting the system to work perfectly.