8-year-old boy signs contract with Esports club for the sum of $ 33,000

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Game is PEGI 12 rated. Kid plays since he is 6.

Professional Gaming World: We can ignore toxic environment of Fortnite, because of money.

And funny part is that PEGI 12 rating does not include "online interactions".
    In other words: "Game is rated PEGI 12 as long as you do not enter multiplayer. Moment you enter multiplayer, it is whole different world."

Valken, drone69, 386SX and 4 others like this.
  3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I didn't even have to read the news to already guess it's Fortnite. Second guess would have been professional pokemon go player. Oh well...

upload_2020-12-5_10-14-45.png

mbk1969 likes this.
  4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I wonder what's next...

5. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    This is stupid as fnck. Also gaming is not a sport, no matter what anyone says.

CalculuS, Solfaur, Venomsword and 5 others like this.
  6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Pssss...shut up man, those E-Sports olimpians will hack your IP and steal your fraps.:p;)

7. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Feels wrong that frap and 8 year old are mentioned in the same thread.

386SX, mbk1969 and fantaskarsef like this.
  8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Frames per second. Please, don't read or think anything else, it's embarrassing as it is.

9. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    And I found it funny because... an 8 year old wouldn't know the screen grab program fraps because it's old by now... okay.

mbk1969 and anticupidon like this.
  10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It's not, it's an esport. They have a different name for a reason. On the other hand, if you're saying gaming shouldn't be competitive on a level where people get paid, then you're just wrong.

That being said I think there should be age limits on this kind of stuff.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    PC gaming in terms of e-sport has element of luck and element of skill. While I strongly disagree with course of action described in article, gaming is sport to some degree.

Outside of luck part, there is mind part. And if we were to say that it is not sport, Chess would not be a sport either.

12. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PEGI is a classification suggestion in Europe, not a law. The real issue is allowing a kid (well, his parents) do make a deal with a company that will use him.

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Parents are tip of an iceberg here. Entire system and everyone in it, who understands that 6 y/o kid should not be playing such game, is part of problem as long as they enable it.

14. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I guess child labour is a thing in 2020.
    Also, instead of being at school learning to spell correctly, parents let him play games not adequate for his age.

TheDeeGee likes this.
  15. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    What worries me is that gaming home in unregulated, a kid can play 8/12/14 hours a day no problem ( in the short term )
    When parents put a kid in soccer or baskteball or dancing because promising, phisical sport has the limit of your own body, and more than 2-3 hours per day, you won't train. You will still do things like school or other interests.
    Here seems that a young person can easily go full in, loosing contact with anything else. A very few of them will get some money, but a ton of them will just waste too much time in this precious age.

16. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    Its perfect.

No need to interact with your kid anymore AND getting paid.

Brilliant really.

Valken likes this.
  17. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I don´t think it should be legal to have this kind of deals with a 8 year old kid...

I just hope they don´t "damage" the kid for the rest of his life because of this.

insp1re2600 likes this.
  18. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    In the US, no one that age can contract, legally. You've got to be at least 18, or maybe even 21 in some states, but you cannot be held to a contract at 8 years old in the US. If he's in the US and he received the money he could keep it and thumb his nose at "Team 33" and there is not a thing in the world they could do about it legally--since the contract was illegal on its face to begin with. I wonder, though, if it's like a 10-year deal where they pay him $3k per year. It's like when record companies or book companies, etc., send kids contract deals for 11 "free" albums if they agree to buy three more per year, or something like that. The kid could just keep the 11 albums and throw the bills in the trash with impunity. The law says that if adults contract illegally with minors then they do so at their own risk.

19. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Maybe the Fornite department of Team33 does an "Epic" and first violates the law, then tries to sue against the "rules" to break the "monopoly" on enforcing rules against "child labour" in esports...

Yeah, bad joke I know.

20. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    As a parent I would want to protect my child but also be open to the money to invest in my kids future. I'd probably try to figure out what the catches were and set up an account for my kid when he's an adult or something.