4870 problems in gears of war and Grid so far!!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by logangr, Jul 13, 2008.

1. logangr

logangr Guest

GPU:
    2x 6950 2GB
    I bought a couple of days ago GeCube 4870 and started to play those games. I tried it at 1600X1050 with all graphics in full and after a while it crashed the pc causing my computer to restart! After that i enabled Vsync which allowed me to play a little longer but still after 20 - 30 minutes the pc restarts!! after the restart the ATI's temperature is at 80 C which is the temperature that the card has when it is idle!! Does anyone have similar problems?? i'm using vista 64 Core 2 DUO E8400 4Gb RAM in a P5K asus mobo and have tried catalyst 8.5 , 8.6 and now i have installed 8.7 beta and the problem remains the same!! Have to say also that assasin's creed works perfectly with all the graphics options in full!! Also most of the times after such a restart the computer restarts on its own when it enters vista for a couple of times more till it stabilizes!!!

2. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti

If you filled in your specs some more it would be easier to help you. Self restarting... That sounds like it could be a PSU problem. But there is no way to tell until we have some more info about your system

3. logangr

logangr Guest

GPU:
    2x 6950 2GB
    My PSU is a 750Watt from thermaltake so i don't think that is the problem!! sorry for not putting that up earlier! what other hardware specifics do u need apart from the ones i have already posted??

4. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    I had a similar sort of issue with my card when I first got it, turns out it was a fan speed/temperature issue, think this might be the case with your card as well, there are threads here about how to up the fan speed on the 4800's, take a look :)

5. plato

plato Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB
    I have GeCube 4870 too.. Only crash I received was from Crysis, and that time GPU was ~98-100C...

I'm now using custom fan speed on Crysis ( I believe 40-45 is enough but I'm using 50 ). And there is no crash whatsoever..

I played Grid for a looong time too... There wasn't anything wrong with it even using default settings.

6. foxX

foxX Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6800XT MERC
    logangr - Gears of War regularly crashes for me when it's being played with DirectX10 / AA turned on in Vista.
    I've heard from 2 more people, one with 4870 and one with 4850 of this problem.

Grid should run ok though.

In the Catalyst Control Center, on the 3D settings page, you should try the Catalyst A.I. function - disabling it I managed to get more performance (and stability) from the system.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  7. fasteddy

fasteddy Guest

GPU:
    2 x Asus HD6950oc
    Use the bretware profile mod to up the speed of your cards fan. Also, Grid really works your system and you may find system memory errors whilst playing it! Run Memtest on your system ram.

8. logangr

logangr Guest

GPU:
    2x 6950 2GB
    my PSU is a 750Watt from THERMALTAKE...so i dont think it should be an issue with that! also after the pc restarts the cpu and mobo temperature are at about 45-50 C from the bios and also the 4800's temperature when windows load back is at 80 C which as i have seen in the forum is the idle temperature of this card!! i disabled in catalyst the "reduce DVI frequency" and "alternate DVI operational mode" and seem to have gained some stability! what are those options??

9. mal1612

mal1612 New Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4870 512mb
    I also have a Asus P5k, 4GB ram, Q6600 running Vista x64 and just brought a 4870. I am having problems playing Gears of War too. After about 10 mins and I get the famous "Atikmdag" crash. Unreal T 3 and Call of Duty 4, all work fine. Its only Gears of War this is happening to.

10. Zyrocenus

Zyrocenus Master Guru

GPU:
    Saph 4890@1033\1200@1.45V
    No probs here VisionTEk 4870

Gday

No issues here in any game -including Gears- using Vista 64 and specs on the left

A couple of ideas tho...

Have you installed SP1 for vista? have you checked out www.microsoft.com/directx for the most up to date DX drivers? Which driver are you using? I myself am using KillerSneaks DNA 8.7B and as long as you follow his instructions -use the bat file included to uninstall old drivers, reboot, re-run bat file and install- and I have had no issues. the drivers that come with the card are very immature and unstable and the hotfix was garbage! It would install and then after reboot tell me there was no compatible card! -yet it would show it in hardware proberties as 4000 series and I could read correct GPU clocks and such...weird-

any way hope that helps.... if those standard items dont work I'd check to make sure you are using the most up to date chipset drivers for your mobo -dont look at their manufacturers site they are ALWAYS behind...go to the source... IE intel or Nvidia etc or here on G3d!-

Zyro

11. fps_Dean

fps_Dean Member

Is it a single rail 12v line? If not it, it might be the problem... it could also be faulty so don't rule that out.

Sounds like you need the fan speed fix.... if your GPUs hit 95 degrees, after a reboot the temps drop fast... at 80 degrees the temps may have hit triple digits after a full reboot.

If you haven't solved this, google "4870 fan speed fix" and you should find something.

12. foxX

foxX Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6800XT MERC
    i believe that the fix is not too good. this is because on auto, the card's fan will eventually scale with the temperature. now, a safe rpm for that fan is usually too loud, and one would probably prefer something in the 40-50% range, which can't keep the card below 100 in intense 3d (like fur mark, unigine or crysis).

with 47% fan speed (exactly below where it starts to make noise) i noticed 50 degrees celsius in idle, and 110 in furmark (it took ~1 hour to get there).
    with auto fan speed, i have 70-80 degrees idle and 90-95 in fur mark, with the fan going as high as the 60s% (quite loud too).

so i chose to let it stay on auto, since i really can't question ati's engineers.

13. !H'Guru

!H'Guru Guest

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    I don't think this crash is caused by temperatures.
    I play grid alot and before I changed the BIOS from the sapphire to the Diamond OCX, the temps went to 100+ load while playing grid. My airflow isn't that good, but my system remained stable all the time. I also use Vista x64 with 4gb on a E6600 @ 3.6 plugged in a P5B Deluxe.