1st & 2nd PCIe slots not detecting cards...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Sharoth, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Sharoth

Sharoth Guest

GPU:
    XFX Merc 319 6900XT
    Ok.. So I am trying to build a new rig, 9900k on a gigabyte aorus pro wifi with a 2080 video card.. got most of the stuff last week but the mobo was doa.. granted I did install everything and had the cpu installed but the board wouldnt fire.. so I got amazon to ship me out a new one which showed up monday. so I swap all the crap out and get everything setup and power it on and it doesnt even detect a card in the slot.. same with slot 2.. slot 3 it will work but only at pcie x4. So.. while possible, but probably pretty rare, think I got 2 back to back crap boards? or do you think maybe the cpu might of been damaged by the first doa mobo not working, and those pcie lanes aren't working because the cpu is damaged in a place that is affecting the northbridge? I've been wrestling with this all day and I'm about to throw in the towel and just become a console gamer.. lol

So any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Tough call. I guess you don't have any chance to mix and match, e.g. see if you have another CPU able to try out in your 2nd board?

BlackZero likes this.
  3. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

4. Sharoth

Sharoth Guest

GPU:
    XFX Merc 319 6900XT
    Sorry, I should of mentioned all the crap I've done.. Just so frustrated at this point my mind is mush.. I did in fact update the bios but that didn't do anything. Sadly I do not have another cpu to test.. I am going to have amazon send me another one, hopefully they approve another return for the same damn thing.. lol I have since gone back to my Ryzen setup and will see how the next board goes..

BlackZero and fantaskarsef like this.

5. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yes, let's see what amazon says. If not, buy a CPU, replace it, and send it back to amazon...
    But yes, tough call, you'd need to switch out either CPU or MB to be sure... keep us informed.

6. Sharoth

Sharoth Guest

GPU:
    XFX Merc 319 6900XT
    Yeah... all the research into the pcie slots not working has led me to believe the original mobo has probably damaged the cpu. Sadly I got the cpu at newegg because amazon was out of stock on them til this week. I'd have to rma the cpu directly to intel I think is my only recourse for the cpu.

7. Sharoth

Sharoth Guest

GPU:
    XFX Merc 319 6900XT
    Update: Apparently alot of people are returning the Aorus Pro Wifi with the same issue, so much so they refused to give me another one but will refund my money. Which is good as it allows me to pick a different brand/model. So now my question is z390 recommendations? lol

8. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Ahh, well good they let you try another mainboard. Not really up to date with the z390 boards though, sorry.