Xonar Essence STX Latency

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by beeverboy, Apr 5, 2015.

1. beeverboy

beeverboy Guest

GPU:
    NVidia GeForce GTX 970
    Hello all, this is my first post, and I have a problem.

I recently purchased a new PC to be used for recording music. I am a musician first, and therefore can't figure out how to get rid of this latency. On my last PC, I had to do quite a bit of tweaking, but I eventually nailed it down.

On this PC, I have tried the ASIO driver that came bundled with the soundcard, the one that came with my pedals, and ASIO4All. None of them seem to be eliminating the latency when playing a guitar straight into the machine.

Here is my Speccy summary:

Summary
    Operating System
    Windows 8.1 64-bit
    CPU
    AMD FX-8320 19 °C
    Vishera 32nm Technology
    RAM
    32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 1123MHz (13-13-13-33)
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z (Socket 942) 23 °C
    Graphics
    Acer H236HL (1920x1080@60Hz)
    Acer H236HL (1920x1080@60Hz)
    4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (EVGA) 28 °C
    Storage
    1863GB Western Digital WDC WD2003FZEX-00Z4SA0 ATA Device (SATA) 28 °C
    1863GB Western Digital WDC WD2003FZEX-00Z4SA0 ATA Device (SATA) 25 °C
    232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (SSD) 26 °C
    Optical Drives
    HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH16NS40
    HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSC0 ATA Device
    Audio
    ASUS Xonar Essence STX Audio Device

I use Zoom G3X and Zoom B3 pedals, plugged in through USB. (I use this instead of line in because I can quickly change patches.)

I just can't get this figured out, any help would be appreciated.

2. Sabbath

Sabbath Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Hi beeverboy,
    Wow a eight thousand watt P.S.U. (8000W) i want one of those. Just j/k lol
    Have you try'ed the uni Xonar drivers install them in low latency mode. And welcome too the forums

http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  4. beeverboy

beeverboy Guest

GPU:
    NVidia GeForce GTX 970
    Ha! Maybe I have a 1.21Gigawatts PSU! Typo there.

Installing the uni drivers was the last thing I tried before posting here. Not sure if I installed in low latency mode, though.

As far as the multi tracks go, they're a good suggestion, and I will be purchasing one in the future for recording drums/other bands. The problem for me is that I'm essentially a one man band recording in the basement. I have to record one track at a time, so latency will still be an issue.

Thanks for the welcome and the suggestions. I appreciate it!

5. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Try again in low latency mode with the unixonar as that should fix your issues. While I didn't plug a guitar directly into the comp when I had a STX but used asio when i was recording music with a midi controller. It fixed some minor issues I was having with asio.

6. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    asio allows for 1ms latency. doubt you could do any better.

7. flimbo

flimbo Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I sold my Xonar ST because of this same problem and bought an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 second hand off Ebay. It has RCA inputs which work better with my equipment and has zero latency!

8. beeverboy

beeverboy Guest

GPU:
    NVidia GeForce GTX 970
    Thanks for the additional suggestions. I reinstalled in low latency mode, and it didn't really help. I disabled any outputs/inputs I wasn't immediately using, no change. I plugged directly in to the line in, and it got better. I fiddled with all the settings, and it's close, but not close enough to record guitar to a guide track. The more I research, the more it seems my sound card is built more for playback than recording (that's not really how it was marketed to me, but I should've investigated further). It's a shame, but I may just buy a new card.

9. beeverboy

beeverboy Guest

GPU:
    NVidia GeForce GTX 970
    So, the next day after that last post, I was going to tinker with it some more, and I suppose that restarting it that last time kicked some setting in, and I was virtually latency free on the line in. Now, it will randomly stop "listening" to that port, but I can deal with that. Thanks, all!