Windows 10 pending its first big update

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 12, 2015.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Guess I'll have fun updating my tablet....

SteamOS is a niche OS. It will have no more of an impact on Windows sales than the Playstation does. Valve did the same thing with SteamOS that Google did with ChromeOS and Apple did with OSX. They took an already existing OS, modified it to remove a lot of features, added in their own features and built a "walled garden" around it. Hell, Valve's approach was so similar to Google's that both SteamOS and ChromeOS are just heavily gimped variations of Ubuntu.... Neither of which will be the one that finally brings Linux to the masses....

2. stryfe2010

stryfe2010 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3060 12GB
    Update hosed my system. First it went to a blue background with a usb error saying my pc needed restarted which I did then it went to the blue background with a memory management error with another needing restart. After second restart I got the oem screen then no signal with a constant beeb so I completly unplugged it and let it sit for a while. By then I was able to boot into bios, change boot to cd rom and boot off my windows 10 disc and use the restore to previous build. Even had the tech stump going to have to call them back tommorrow and let her know I fixed it. Sure hope they can figure out why the update completly crashed my system.

3. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    The upgrade from the original 10240 to 10586.3 went without a hitch on four systems in our household (actually, five, if you count the Xbox One which was also updated to the latest Windows 10 build). The upgrade only took 10-20 minutes of downtime, depending on the system.
    The only thing I had to reinstall was the Sound Blaster drivers on the three systems with X-Fi cards as Windows installed a generic driver for some reason that only allows one speaker to function and I had to redo the video card/profile settings on all four as they were reset to default.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  4. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    OK something weird just happened. I have my updates set to manual, so when I booted up I checked if there were any updates available and Windows started download stuff..

About 5 or so minutes into it, it starts trying to install something but it failed with this error from event log:

Now when I check for updates again, Windows update now reports my PC as being up to date, even though I don't have the 10586 build installed :bang:

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Stop the WU service from services.msc

Delete the contents of C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution

Start the WU service again

Check for updates

6. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Tried that and it still didn't work. But I noticed I had the $WINDOWS.~BT folder in C:\, and that folder usually only appears when something is getting updated, or has been updated?

Should I delete that folder as well?

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    That's where it downloads/extracts the update files to, if it has completed the download, you might be able to run setup direct from there, if it hasn't, then yea delete that and start again

Or just grab an ISO and update manually

8. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I'm pretty sure the download wasn't completed as the folder is only 59.3 MB in size. I'm going to delete it and see what happens..

I also put my update settings back to automatic.

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea, it'll be about 2.5 / 3.5GB when it's done, similar size to the ISO

10. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I deleted the folder, deleted the contents of the software distribution folder (with Windows update service disabled), re-enabled the service and then rebooted and then reran Windows update and still nothing :bang:

I have terrible luck with this for some reason. When Windows 10 first launched, I tried updating from my Windows 8.1 installation and it failed every single time. I ended up just burning an ISO and doing a clean install..

Looks like I might have to do that again even though I don't want to. I do clean installs once every two years..

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    No need for a clean install, just mount the ISO, and run setup, choose upgrade

Exactly the same as if WU was upgrading you

12. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Well that's a relief! This is what I'm going to do. I'm going to give it till tomorrow to see whether this problem rectifies itself (it might start downloading automatically). Heck, I may even call Microsoft tech support later today and see if they can offer any useful advice to get this resolved.

If none of the above works, I'll do as you suggest and download the ISO, mount it and run the setup..

You've been very helpful though man, thanks I appreciate it. :)

13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Has anyone else had stability issues after the update? I encountered a BSOD while gaming an hour or so after the update.

Reinstalled display driver to see if it helps. It seems some programs may need to be reinstalled after the upgrade. For example RTSS reported an error, fixed with a reinstall.

15. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    You still dont need to hurry with this update.If you like Windows 8.1 do it,if not you can wait a while 'till DX12 games come.

16. flashmozzg

flashmozzg Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB @ 947/1250
    Lol, these asterisks look like censor.

17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    :D lol

18. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    10 AM Nov. 13 and still nothing from WU. I grabbed the Media Creation Tool and just may do it that way.

19. erm

erm Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 1GB
  20. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    Way to dance around the point. There's nothing mobile about my Windows 10 installation, so you either messed yours up somehow or are full of ****. Pretty sure it's the latter.