Windows 10 KB4482887 update can degrade graphics perf / gaming

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 8, 2019.

1. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    oh I have win 10 pro on my ThinkPad and another laptop the GF uses and we have no problem with it ....its on another hhd in my desktop (unplugged) that I need to fire up an let update...

But no....I simply like Windows 7 ....but please let me know if I'm missing out on anything fantastic in the win 10 world

Yogi likes this.
  2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    10's been a headache ... from file associations being broken for a few months, action center opening on the wrong side, unwanted driver installs via wu, task manager being broken (and still partially broken), explorer repeatedly forgetting folder views ... these are what I can recall off the top and experienced recently. It's not bad but a huge step down from the past in terms of reliability. I'd respect them and their work more if they stopped wasting time on uwp and semi annual releases.

airbud7 likes this.
  3. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    I'm not touching any update, last update caused enough headache

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

airbud7 likes this.
  4. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Nerp, not on Broadwell-E. No combination works to restore full performance. You are correct that the default AHCI driver does give much better perf than using a newer RST driver when using mitigation. Leaving the Spectre patch enabled with Retpoline enabled, I lose ~15% disk I/O. Disabling Spectre mitigation using the GRC tool, also oncurrently disables the Retopoline mitigations. I verified this using a PS script. So basically for BW-E, you're still taking a significant hit using Retopoline. Not as bad as using Spectre alone though.

Except for rebooting when doing some T/S, like now, my system is up for days at a time. If yours cannot even last a few minutes... PEBKAC.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    ManofGod likes this.

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    So when is their room full of monkeys chained to desks with PCs going to release the update to fix their massive screw-up? I'm still waiting for an update.

6. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Do you have updates disabled?

7. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    No, and I've been manually checking.

8. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Are you on 17763.349 or .348?

9. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I'm on .316. How did you guys manage to get so far ahead? I get my updates through WU. Never saw this kb update either.

Edit: spoke too soon. Just came in. Disabled windows update. Are we going to get a heads up on guru3d when it's safe to turn windows update back on?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  10. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    .348 apparently. What's with the different update versions for some people?

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    .349 is release preview. Nobody knows what it actually does. Anyway, it doesn't matter. It's patch Tuesday so we'll get a newer CU today.

Neo Cyrus likes this.
  12. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I found out that by using InSpectre to disable & then enable Spectre protection - it doesn't play nice with the retpoline patch, in as much as it doesn't revert the registry back to all the correct values if you decide to re-enable Spectre protection. If you want retpoline functionality to go back to normal after disabling & then re-enabling Spectre protection using InSpectre, then you'll need to use RegEdit to go into the registry and make sure both of these entries have these values (InSpectre will leave one of those variables with a different value, which I'm assuming would break something with regards to retpoline):
    [​IMG]

13. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Well if you are a tech nut like most here you have access to the WMR VR market which has native support built right into the OS, and it works a treat, plus with VR almost all the software require W10, and i did try W7 with VR but the performance drop was quite evident, so W10 vr wise is the best solution, then if you like gaming ecosystem that is xbox live and their play platform anywhere support in W10, nothing beats buying a game on the xbox and getting the pc version for free......but if you have no interest in those things then W7 is a option. :)

airbud7 likes this.
  14. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    NOW RESOLVED.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4489899/windows-10-update-kb4489899

NOW FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT.

Safe.

Edit: I FOUND SOMETHING ELSE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT - WOOHOO!!

After installing this update on machines that have multiple audio devices, applications that provide advanced options for internal or external audio output devices may stop working unexpectedly. This issue occurs for users that select an audio output device different from the “Default Audio Device”. Examples of applications that may stop working include:

• Windows Media Player
    • Realtek HD Audio Manager
    • Sound Blaster Control Panel

15. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Because fixing an un-relevant security hole exposed only to audio device kernel driver is more important than OS stability. Great job Windows Q&A team!

Meanwhile I added another month of update delays (temporal update suspension). So I have a total of 60 days update delays on the business branch. Better then nothing.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I have a broadcom based asus wireless card that can't use drivers intended for windows 10 or it hangs after a few days uptime, task manager's detail pane breaks, can't log out/back in etc.

Have to use a driver intended for windows 7, 10 has its issues (and sometimes does do worse than 7/10 because of their stable code bases), but vendor compliance with the driver models is consideration too.

17. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

fantaskarsef likes this.