Windows 10 Build 10036 Changes Detailed in New Video

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    WinBeta posted this video, While the official release version of Windows technical preview is still stuck on Build 9926, it's pretty obvious that Microsoft has been leaping ahead with more advanced ...

Windows 10 Build 10036 Changes Detailed in New Video

2. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I've got a Windows 10 question. Is it supposed to be lighter than Windows 8?

I'm currently running a small power friendly laptop only having a Core 2 Duo 1.2Ghz X2 processor and 2gb ram.

Windows 8 works ok but being faster is always a good thing...

That said, I will shortly upgrade the ram from 2Gb to 4Gb and will obviously re-format to a 64 bit version of Windows...

There should be quite a difference in speed with double the ram and the 64 bit operating system...

3. jdc2389

jdc2389 Guest

GPU:
    980ti 1408/3650
    Are you on 8.1 or 8? I can't imagine 10 being much more efficient besides using dx12 to sell it. I'd recommend 8.1 and classic shell until 10 is finalized.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Not tried 10036 on a real machine, but I did install 9926 on real hardware and it lagged like a b1tch, reinstalled 8.1 and it was smooth and snappy again - I installed this 10036 in VMWare and there's next to no changes since 9926 so I wouldn't expect it to be much different, plus MS bundle a load of feedback/keylogger cr4p in these builds which slows them down

5. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    1st with 4gig and W8 64bit you will be faster than your 2gig and W8 32bit :)

2nd W10 is NOT released and drivers are ALL in BETA... so: compared with a W8 (.1?) release and optimised driver, W10 could look slow and laggy.

in other words: DON'T UPDATE YET IF YOU WANT A FASTER, 100% STABLE OS

but yes result of the beta are very very nice yes... wait and see.

6. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    I'm really looking forward to when windows 10 finally releases. I'm sick of 8.1 and only got it for optimization.

7. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    you can remove them all (even the link to MS ID, usefull for pro use), no hack needed, just same method as in W8.1.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I wouldn't waste my time, there's nothing about Windows 10 that would make me want to spend time doing anything to it, only reason I'll upgrade is DX12

9. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    No, it's the same ****. Being uglier didn't make it faster though :( Why not try putting in a SSD instead of RAM? It'll make a huge difference.

10. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    Glad I'm not the only one that find the 9926 build to lag like crazy on older hardware. Dell 1525 laptop, cd2 @ 2GHz, 350GB WD Black.

It was super slow with other builds too, so I thought I would rebuild it from scratch with that WD Black instead of whatever slow POS 5400rpm it had already. No change in performance, haha. Must just be a win10 preview thing, too, like you guys say, because this lappy as well as a 1.6GHz AMD TL-50 Dell 1501 are very snappy under win7 or win8.

That being said, I'm still very much looking forward to win10.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015

11. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    So the missions thing, is this an attempt by Microsoft to get users to do all the stuff that they would either ignore or just skip through? By making tasks such as; making a back up, providing feedback to Microsoft, turning on VAC (if it's even still in this version) in to what amounts to an Achievement are Microsoft hoping to make this appeal to a generation of console gamers?

12. Raptess

Raptess Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX780
    My personal experience with Win10 was very positive until the last release before Xmas.
    Build 9860 (I think it was) ran very smooth, had no compatibility errors with all my programs / hardware and I felt it ran my games overall about 15-20% smoother than Win7.

Ever since Build 9879, I have had nothing but problems. It bogs down all the time and programs crash frequently as well as lots of games stopped working that were fine previously.
    I stopped using Win10 at the end of January when the newer version came out, as none of the introduced problems had been fixed and have not gone back.

With all that in mind, yes it is still in Beta and I hold high hopes for Win10, based on Build 9860 awesomeness.
    I'm looking forward to the final product and will be updating within the initial 12 months "free" time frame.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  13. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I'm really looking forward to Win 10 but it takes me at least one whole year messing around with a new OS to get used to it.

What i mean by that is, how much of the OS can i turn off before it becomes broken.

My Win 7 install runs with only about 30 processes. This way it's super snappy and basically very light weight. Learning to do that takes time with a new OS.

14. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    Runs better than 8.1 for me, but that's probably because I tweaked that OS to hell.

Not at all. I keep mine at 20% ram usage 0% cpu usage on idle.

15. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    What did you turn off?

Same here .. the first build was great. Even though it was only a rebadged Win 8.1 Update 2 lol. I really wish they released that :-/

16. Mateja

Mateja Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 640 12140MB
    leaked...

hi all :)

just thought I would share my personal experience with this latest build 10036. I know a lot of vague opinions are floating around about previous builds being more "snappy" or whatever, which is true--but I thought I would share a list of issues, had I known about, I never would have touched this.

1.) Hitman Pro shows windows system files as Trojans. honestly not the slightest bit concerned or thinking that some Russian credit card conspiracy is at play because of the new p2p updates system... just thought I would share the results.

2.) stuttering in various 3d mmo's / emulators. even more than build 9926, and way more than windows 8.1

3.) final fantasy xi online stereoscopic 3d is broken. no idea why. but removing pol.exe from "all play online games" and linking it to "final fantasy xi benchmark 3" in NVidia inspector no longer works. (big game changer for me. hope this problem does not persist. perhaps the defaults work now to make it 3d but i'd bet that if I went back and tried it this way it would still be broken)

4.) windows defender icon on the taskbar/hidden icons menu is invisible. so disappointing. I totally wanted the beta for this. *j/k*

5.) (upon trying to fix my 3d ffxi problem with the new 347.88 whql, I learned that...)--NVidia display driver uninstall from 'add or remove programs' is incomplete. all items remained in that menu, the registry, and various hidden folders. and so is DDU (display driver uninstaller... yes I did it in safe mode). after a shut down and manually deleting items in program data and users hidden folders DDU worked completely. crash upon reinstall of new driver until I "disabled driver signature enforcement" and then it worked. but ffxi stereo 3d was still not fixed.

4.) just this second the e-mail app in the start menu failed to launch and said it was not installed lol.

5.) problems closing apps while restarting.

6.) error boxes upon opening gpedit.msc and on shut downs sometimes. times when it seemed not to happen I think it was just because the error box was displayed incorrectly behind the shut down screen because I still heard the error "ding"

7.) "unknown hard error" error box upon starting safe mode. just like in build 9926.

8.) unable to search or use start menu in safe mode. made navigating to the registry annoying. had to click on recycle bin on desktop and navigate using windows explorer to system32 folder to use registry editor etc.

9.) speaking of incomplete functionality: part of the reason I had to reinstall my OS and decided to try this--build 9926 will lock you out of your OS if you alter your BCD data from a dual boot. it says its doing it because there's no administrator account when you try startup repair. even if you create an administrator account (before this problem occurs)--startup repair still does not work. and it doesn't work from the disc either. it says there was a problem and it cannot continue. I found a different method of authentication for win 7 that didn't interfere with technical preview's startup repair.

CONCLUSION:

I am now on the fence weather to reinstall 9926. it was really not THAT much slower than 8.1 if at all. and directx12 potential is a HUGE plus (if anyone ever writes a program for it)

or

wait another 5 years for win 10 to be stable and programs to be written in directx12. and by then win 11 beta and directx 13 will be out for me to waste time on...

HAVE FUN :D

***edit: the new method of authentication I am using for win 7 didn't "fix" technical preview's startup repair, it simply circumvented my need for using it. (that problem would occur if win 7 authentication runs out and you need to redo it, it will break the win 8.1 metro style dual boot screen and default to win 7's black screen of OS choices. just an aesthetic issue but annoying for sure. beware to install 7 first, THEN 8 or technical preview for the fancy new boot screen. if 7's authentication ever fails re-doing it the wrong way will break the new boot screen. a new method of authentication I found fixed this for me but made a 4th tiny new system partition presumably to keep the bcd data separate but that's fine***

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  17. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    Has anyone found out yet if Win10 will be available via OEM ISO download so you can install it from scratch vs upgrading from a Win7/8 install? Case in point I have two computers with Win7 on them that I'd prob upgrade but I'm old school and prefer to just do a fresh install when I do this. Also I figure with hardware changes such as HDD's from upgrading and failures you will need a ISO of the OS anyway. I'd also like to know if they plan on bringing back the product keys cause the lack of them for Win8 really turned me off on that OS.

18. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    You read my mind. I'm on 8.1 with classic shell.

Haha, ok, guess I'll stick with Windows 8.1 for now...

Thanks, I'll wait. For the meantime, I'll upgrade my laptop to 4Gb of ram. it'll cost me around $50 for the upgrade.

The fastest possible ram supported by my laptop is DDR3 1066MHz PC3-8500S. I'll be purchasing 2X2gb since I have only 2 available ram slots...

And yeah, an upgrade from 2Gb to 4Gb of ram will make a difference.

At the moment I'm using Firefox Portable rather than the standard Firefox. Can you believe the ram usage in the regular Firefox is over 200mb and under 100mb in Firefox Portable? Best thing they are exactly the same, maybe less junk and useless plugins which I'm not using anyway...

I'm not sure upgrading the HDD to an SSD is worth it. I paid just AED 430 for the laptop off Dubizzle. :)

Upgrading the ram would be the cheaper option...

I'll wait for Windows 10 to mature before jumping the boat...

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC