Which DVD DL Burner?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Iluvatar, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Member

GPU:
    Gainward FX 5600
    Please help..

I'm wondering which one is the best, in terms of compatibility, the ability to read and burn all type-s of CDs and DVDs, and offcourse, the burning speed. Reliability is the most important factor.

1. DVD+RW/-RW Pioneer DVR-108, Dual Layer, 16x, bulk
    2. DVD+RW/-RW NEC ND-3500A, 16x dual layer, bulk
    3. DVD+RW/-RW Liteon, DL, 16x, bulk
    4. DVD+RW/-RW/RAM LG GSA-4160BB, Dual Layer, 16x, bulk
    5. DVD+RW/-RW Gigabyte W1608A, Dual Layer, 16x, retail
    6. DVD+RW/-RW TEAC DV-W516D-002, 4xDL, 16x/16x, bulk

It would be best if you could make a "rang-list/top-list" of all these models based on your experience, and also because I'm not sure if all of these drives would be available in my country during the holiday season.

Thanx in forward!
    :)

2. pSicek24

pSicek24 Guest

3. nexusworks

nexusworks Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro with arctic cooling fan
    I recommend Pioneer and LG, I am using both of them and they are without any issues.

cheers!

4. MrOuija

MrOuija Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF2 MX 400 32MB/GF 7600 g
    I have a sony, i'm happy with it but i don't think dual layer is worth it, the discs aree still quite expensive and dual layer burns sloooooooow as hell

5. Evil-Taco

Evil-Taco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtec nVidia 6800 GT Pci-Express
    I would go for the lite on. They make drives for sony i believe , i also have 2 of ther optical drives, one just a normal dvd player and the other is the duel layer SOHW-832S.

6. xankazo

xankazo Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    I'm also planning on some DVD-RW 16X DL and DVD-Rom, and I think I will choose them LiteOn. whaddaya think?

7. xankazo

xankazo Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    BTW, what is SOHW-832S?

8. DboneU68

DboneU68 Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 9800 XT
    I have the LiteOn, and haven't had any problems. I haven't used any others, so the only one I can recommend is the LiteOn.

9. Evil-Taco

Evil-Taco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtec nVidia 6800 GT Pci-Express
    This is it. Newegg doesnt even sell them new it looks like anymore. Cant really go wrong with liteOn products.

10. nexusworks

nexusworks Master Guru

GPU:
    Lite-On is fine they have good firmware support, however I didnt like Sony's ROM they tend to be not so good on reading. Yes you probably saying but Lite -On and sony is the same.....well NO not really and Sony's firmware is strictly to Sony, so a Normal DVD writter from Sony cant be converted to Dual Layer unlike the Lite-on. My only main problem with sony now is that I have emailed for technical support and it took them 2 weeks to reply, and this was from the main website. Thats bad support.

I have heard NEC was good but several people here, LG has the most media support and Pioneer has one of the best performance in burning Dual Layer. and Lite On well you heard from above.

cheers!

11. xankazo

xankazo Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    that's right, I didn't like Sony CD-ROMs either. However, even being from the same manufacturer, LiteOn ones I can't complain about.

12. BeMyMonkey

BeMyMonkey Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 9300M GS
    yeah... i've had a sony dvd-rom drive and a sony cd-rw... both of them sucked... couldn't read so many discs that my lg dvd drive just sucked right in at top speed...

and Lite-ON rocks hehhe, i've got two different drives that have been working for over three years heheh...

so i'd say go for LG (because of the versatility - their writer supports almost every format that fits in a CD drive) or Lite-ON, simply because that brand is EXTREMELY reliable...

13. PhonyEye

PhonyEye Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7970
    me got the NEC and it's doing it's job, i haven't burned dual though, each media costs way too much...

14. xankazo

xankazo Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    ok, straight up, I'm a total n00b in the DVD world, so what's the difference between -DVD and +DVD (or something like it).

Dual Layer, I think it is when you can record up to 9GB, isn't it? please enlighten me up.

15. nexusworks

nexusworks Master Guru

GPU:
    DVD- is a older format mostly writting at slower speeds, however it is the most common format to use for burning movies etc... DVD+ is slightly better writting speeds and performace is indeed can be seen. Try using a DVD-RW and a DVD+RW you will know a big difference in writting speeds. Most people would just go for a 4X DVD- which is pretty cheap and may cost only 50cents in Australia or a dollar in Singapore. DVD+ cost maybe a dollar extra. There is not much difference and both works just as well.

Yes Dual Layer DVDs are different and can burn larger space in which most Original DVDs are using dual layer. Not that fantastic when the price is not affordable yet. Dual Layer will trigger a slight pause in movies durring layer change.

cheers!