what's a good dvd rw?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 3080 Ti
    someone's recommended the nec dvd-rw nd3500.

is this any good? or are there any others i should look at?

thx

2. DboneU68

DboneU68 Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 9800 XT
    I have the Lite On 16X Dual Layer burner, and I love it. Got it for $85 US bucks too.

3. nexusworks

nexusworks Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro with arctic cooling fan
    You can get LG 4102b dual layer whcih is cheap and good or alternatively Pioneer A08 or 108 which was recommended by magazines the best which I find it work as well as the LG.

4. mcnabb311

mcnabb311 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2X ATI 4870 512MB X-Fired
    Here ya go!!! Pioneer 108 for 79.99+free shipping!! http://www.buyxg.com/store/item.asp?id=3&catID=158

Here are it's specs, notice the DL Disc write speed (4X) and single layer (16X) not bad eh?

Write Support
    DVD DVD-R 4.7GB, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
    CD CD-R 700 (type 80), 650MB (type 74), CD-RW, Highspeed CD-RW, Ultraspeed CD-RW
    Read Support
    DVD DVD-ROM, DVD-VIDEO (Single & Dual layer), DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+r, DVD+RW & DVD-RAM
    CD CD-ROM(Mode1&2), CD-ROM XA, CD-DA (CD Audio), Video CD, PhotoCD (single/multi-session), CD EXTRA, CD-Text, CD-R, CD-RW
    Interface
    ATAPI Interface ATA/ATAPI-5
    IDE Data Transfer Mode PIO Mode 4, Multi Word DMA Mode 2, Ultra DMA Mode 4 (Ultra DMA 66
    Auto Interface Analog Audio Output
    Write Speed
    DVD-R 16x, 12x, 8x, 6x, 4x, 2x, 1x
    DVD - RW 4x*4, 2x, 1x
    DVD + R 16x, 12x, 8x, 6x, 4x. 2.4x
    DVD + RW 4x, 2.4x
    DVD+R DL*2 4x, 2.4x
    CD - R 32x, 24x , 16x, 10x, 4x
    CD - RW 24x, 20x, 16x, 10x, 4x
    Read Speed
    DVD-ROM (Single) Max 16x CAV
    DVD-ROM (Dual) Max 12x CAV
    DVD+R, DVD-R Max 12x CAV
    DVD+RW, DVD-RW Max 8x CAV
    DVD+R DL*2 Max 8x CAV
    DVD-RAM 2x CLV
    CD-ROM Max 40x CAV
    CD-R Max 40x CAV
    CD-RW Max 32x CAV
    CD-DA (DAE) Max 40x CAV
    CD-DA Max 9.3x CAV
    Video-CD Max 9.3x CAV
    Access Time (random average)
    CD-ROM 130 msec
    DVD-ROM 140 msec
    Seek Time (random average)
    CD-ROM 120 msec
    DVD-ROM 130 msec
    Other Specifications
    Data Buffer 2 MBytes
    Mounting Orientation Horizontal and Vertical
    Maximum Power Consumption 25.25W
    Dimensions (W x H x D) 148 x 42.3 x 198mm, 5-13/16” x 1-11/16” x 7-13/16”
    Net Weight 1.1 kg, 2.42lbs

Last edited: Nov 16, 2004

5. nexusworks

nexusworks Master Guru

GPU:
    Just a note though, if you are burning a DVD movie make sure the player is able to play at 4X as my old pioneer dvd player could only play at 2X. So burn the correct speeds for the players.

For most data DVD 4X is good enough.

Pioneer DVR-108 is pretty good as you can see, check your local shops if they are cheap, else ebay are pretty cheap for those as well.

6. Diamond15

Diamond15 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 1900XT 512mb
    I use the nec 3500 atm it's quiet and fast. I can burn at 8x on 4x dvd's and it's cheap i got it for 75€

7. Inspired

Inspired Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA e-GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked
    For things like CD/DVD drives, I don't mind about the brand. As long as they burns and read at decent speed, I am happy :). Of course, this applies only to CD/DVD drives.

8. nexusworks

nexusworks Master Guru

GPU:
    How true, however certain brands dont seem to work well, and in any case they dont read DVD or CD properly. I do not want to say names, brands of DVD writters that I encountered bad experiences, some in here might have known.

Which is why I am recommending LG and Pioneer, but of the 2, Pioneer had very good reviews from mags and people in the forum here like it also. I had no problem with LG but doesnt mean it has better performance. The LG can read and write most formats including DVD-RAM, and is considered one of the cheapest Dual Layer writter in the market.

Pioneer would be the first choice as they are good in laser products.

9. Inspired

Inspired Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA e-GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked
    I have LG CD-RW and DVD-RAM drives. I am satisfied with the price and the performance. All I'm saying is that there is no really point to buy a really expensive CD/DVD drive thinking that it would be better because the price is high.

10. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 3080 Ti
    wow. i posted this before and got no replies and now...

sorry for my ignorance but i don't understand most of the lingo. when you say 8x,4x or 16x do you mean that you can recod at that multiple of real time? also i thought the nec model i mentioned is the first 'dual layer' which i thought meant i could record twice as much as normal.

and, does cheap media mean cheap dvds?

thx

11. nexusworks

nexusworks Master Guru

GPU:
    kekeke firstly I agree with Inspired, wasnt disagree on anything that you have posted. Cheap DVD writters doesnt mean they are no good and we do not need to buy expensive ones to think that they are good. I was just indicating that SOME brands are bad in laser products especially when comes to read and write, and those brands are to be avoided if not carefull.

Ok for Halloween Jack

1. Media refers to the CD, DVD DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW,etc....

2. 2X ,4X, 8X, etc refers to reading and writting speeds as indicated.

To be honest, most people dont even bother about the Dual Layer at the moment as it is expensive. But this is a good feature to have.

Pioneer DVD A08 or the 108 is slightly more expensive then most other brands. However as if you do a search and review on the DVD writter, you can see that it earned 4/5 stars rating. According to most magazines it is a very good performance writter, in which I have it and I find it no difference to my LG 4102B dvd writter.

The LG 4102B seems to be very cheap and reliable, look for some shops, they might have the OEM version around and can be sold at low prices. The Pioneer one is normally $10.00 more than most DVD writters. Its up to you to decide.

I didnt mentioned about NEC as I have not tried it.

But here are a brand list of writters that failed on me:

Samsung
    Sony
    MSI

Failed as it spoiled within 6 months, so think about it.

12. stanleyding

stanleyding Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek nVidia Ti-4200 with AGP 8X 128MB
    In my opinion, I would like to recommend Pioneer A08, because it supports booktype for DVD ROM automatically. You don't have to adjust this function with software configuration, and it would support booktype automatically.

Please visit here at http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20041102/index.html, and it will show you the full details about the comparison of current models you can have.....:)

13. At3c $yd

At3c $yd Master Guru

GPU:
    Tornado Geforce FX 5700 Ultra 128MB
    sorry for breakin in but can any tell wats DVD-RAM drive.
    and is it true that through dual layer drive we can get 15 GB on normal (single layer DVD disk).
    thanks in advance

14. mcnabb311

mcnabb311 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2X ATI 4870 512MB X-Fired
    Yep, I've had 2 sony drives that have failed on me. All of the other good stuff they make, but their DVD drives are ass.

DVD-RAM is very similar in function to DVD-RW, but I wouldn't look for that capability in a writer. Would be nice to read DVD-Ram but thats about it. But to answer your question, no Dual layer drives cannot burn 15Gig's onto a single-layer disc, just the standard 4.7 However if you use a Dual-Layer disc, you can record 8.5Gigs.

15. At3c $yd

At3c $yd Master Guru

GPU:
    Tornado Geforce FX 5700 Ultra 128MB
    well somewhere i read that dual layer dvd can store 30 gigs
    or is it double sided dvd
    and still unclear abt DVD-RAM

16. nexusworks

nexusworks Master Guru

GPU:
    nope Dual Layer is basically 4.5GB X 2 or if I am wrong is only 7.9 as indicated above, now they got the blue ray thing coming I dunno what other media is coming.

Facts:

1. Dual Layer Dvd writter can write single and dual layer disc. BUT not a single layer as dual layer, you are over burning in which may spoil the writter and media, anyway software should prevent you from doing so.

2. DVD-RAM this is where by as I record, I can view at the same time. You see this on Panasonic DVD-recorder player,. doesnt matter if LG writer can write DVD-RAM there is no software to view and write same time.

3. Dont buy sony DVD writter kekeke (joke) however its true their reading capabilities is not good and so mine failed on me.

17. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    I recommened NEC ND-3500A or Pioneer DVR-108/A08... (DVR-108/A08 uses the NEC Chipset)

I personally have Pioneer DVR-108, bought me a pack of Ritada (Ritek) 8x DVD+R and they burned perfectly @12x... (checked with sfv)

12x = 5-6min/DVD (full burn 4.37gigs)

Single Layer DVDs = DVD5 = 4.7 (4.3gigs)

Dual Layer DVDs = DVD9 = 8.5 (8.1gigs)

18. chali borg

chali borg Member

GPU:
    Soon to get GeForce FX6800GT with 256 MB of DDR 3
    I'm perfectly happy with my ASUS DVD-Rw drive.