What do you all think of the Frostbite 2 engine?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by zhengzhoudave, Nov 5, 2011.

1. zhengzhoudave

zhengzhoudave Guest

GPU:
    4GB EVGA GTX680 FTW 2xSLI
    I've recently been playing Battlefield three as I'm sure many of you have and I have come to conclude that whatever people think about the game the Frostbite 2 engine is really very good! It looks awesome - it's very efficient as I have a pretty standard mid-range system and it runs better than anything that looks this good.

What do you think?

Pls try to be objective and remember this is not a battlefield 3 thread I'm trying to start, it's more of a Frostbite 2 appreciation/complaints??? thread. (apologies if someone has already started one, I had a glance to look for it first)!

I thank you

2. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    needs more destruction, seems be lacking compared to original engine

3. krpetrov

krpetrov Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7950 at 1135/6000
    Very nice. Looking better than Cryengine 3!

4. Stev0

Stev0 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX TITAN Sc SLI
    Leaves all other games including call of duty way behind.
    Just a shame they did'nt follow up on their promise of a 64 bit version as Im sure it would have handle'd better and possibly allowed for larger maps with more complex layouts.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011

5. NiukNiuk

NiukNiuk Guest

GPU:
    MSI R6950 twin frozr II
    [​IMG]
    Apart from that, I can't to see it in action in Mirrors Edge 2 :)

6. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

^Lol, nice try :)

I am actually amazed by frostbite 2, at first glance you don't really see how well it's been implemented but the more you play the game the more amazing it gets and the real outstanding part of the engine is the lighting, absolutely breathtaking.

Also I'd like to point out that, even though i'm an avid supporter of the anti-post AA argument due to blurring, due to the lighting being the main stand out point for frostbite 2 post AA actually complements it enormously and after recently noticing this I turned post AA to high and some of the lighting effects especially with HBAO enabled were absolutely fantastic. Given the almost non existant performance penalty associated with post AA in fb2 I'm actually going to try to play the game with post AA at High.

7. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    i like it. bravo for DICE on this one.

more is always good but yea, in certain areas its definitely lacking.

it is possible they could implement one in a future patch.

8. painter

painter Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    It's a great engine... looks stunning, and has run without a hitch or glitch for me in BF3 with mostly 'Ultra' settings... so far anyway. Cryengine3 is pretty fine too, but this may have more than an edge... can't wait to see some other games use it.

9. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    It's a good engine, just shame the art director is a douchebag for over tinting, over saturating and over grading everything.. never mind the god damn lens flares.

10. Aioras

Aioras Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti ***937;
    It is the best pc gameĀ“s engine right now so far.

11. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    It needs volumetric lights. I expected to see some but instead there were those transparent sprites. It was pretty well done at least, since the sprites faded out as you approached them, in the other games the thing just clips with the camera (DE HR, FONV, any CoD, and every game since Splinter Cell i think, exept STALKER Clear Sky of course).

It has some very nice pre baked indirect lighting around. And SSAO is very high quality, one of the best that i've seen. Smoke its pretty well done. I didnt saw if particles where affected by illumination as i saw in some trailers. Still, there is a lot of pre baked lighting around so dynamic lights arent that much, so hard to test.

12. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    improved over the frostbite 1 so its good.

13. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Cryengine modded is still better then the others imo

14. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    The engine needs a rediculous amount of vRAM to work properly and you're pretty much screwed if you have a slow hard drive, cos it needs rediculous amounts of memory too.

For the rest it's pretty awesome. Highly optimized and great looking, this is the way to properly use DX11.

15. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    The sunlight is annoying...

16. LogiTekkers

LogiTekkers Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 980 STRIX SLi
    I agree with their being too much lens flare/sunlight etc, but other than that I think visually it looks amazing, and runs smooth as hell so far and im only half way through the campaign. I look forward to any patches or res packs they bring out, also games to come in the future :)

17. jgomez7238

jgomez7238 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I think the Frostbite engine 2 is absolutely amazing. I think it beats out the cryengine 3 which is saying alot. Played on a proper pc with Ultra settings, this is what future games will start to look like on next generation consoles.

18. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Frostbite 2...

It makes BF3 look more like a Rainbow Warrior 3: A TreeHugger reunion, then a war game.

It's mushy and without a single sharp, well defined object on the whole screen,
    and that's even without FXAA.

Underlying technicals may or may not be good,
    (AA is certainly one of the crappiest)
    but the looks is extremly tiring, non-precise and so fuzzy it hurts my eyes.

19. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4152375&postcount=7807

screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/92506

20. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    I agree with most here, great engine, perfectly done, very efficient. I also agree it's too harsh on the eyes, but thats just how DICE wants BF3 to look - IMHO they've overdone it to make screenshots look cool.