WD My Book Live Duo acces issue .

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by dbogss, Dec 22, 2019.

1. dbogss

dbogss Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix-RTX-2080
    Hi guys, I need some help with my wd NAS drive(My Book Live Duo-4tb)
    , I can not access it anymore as a simple storage device from win 10 built 1909. I can access only the dashboard from the browser but that does not help me with the data. I have used it strictly as a storage device no other functions ... I have tried numerous things but I can not manage to open it in the explorer and I can not find any installation software anymore on the wd page. Any ideas.Thank you.

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Samba and files share services could be dodgy.
    Can you boot a live Linux and try your luck, just to rule out the NAS? PopOS is ok.

3. dbogss

dbogss Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix-RTX-2080
    ...never worked with Linux :(.. I am checking it online now.

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Don't worry.
    Download the ISO and Rufus. Create the USB, insert in the computer and choose to boot from it..
    Once in live mode, open a browser and test
    And sorry Linux Mint is easier, as PopOS will start with the installation, which you can cancel it, but it's something that may or may not occur to you.
    Mint will land you on the desktop, and the starting of the installation it's decided by the user.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    386SX likes this.

5. dbogss

dbogss Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix-RTX-2080
    Thank you, I managed to access it from Control Panel, windows futures SMB1.0 file sharing support.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Glad that you have it sorted out.
    You're welcome here, and know that Guru3D is about best reviews, sharing information and helping others.
    Best way to thank someone is giving back to the community.

386SX likes this.
  7. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Hmm. Is there no way to use anything higher than smb 1.0? This version is deactivated because of Wannacry and others which use this protocol to sneak into your system. I would only use smb 1.0 as the ultimate last resort. For a successful infection AFAIK it is sufficient to just enable the functionality.

See here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-by-default-in-windows

Just for your information. ;)

8. Can always pull it apart and remove the drive......a bit drastic, i know, but i've had to do that before on wd nas.

9. dbogss

dbogss Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix-RTX-2080
    Thanks for the reply, it's active only for the file transfer, I am deactivating it when I do not use the drive, the strange thing is I am losing internet connection since I activated it o_O
    Question?is SMB v2 already installed in win 10 ?...if it is it means that is not working with my WD drive(firmware is up to date) which will leave me with the only solution to use SMBv1 till I pull out all files from the drive about 2/5 TB.
    I

10. dbogss

dbogss Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix-RTX-2080
    If you are suggesting to pull the drives out from the enclosure, I can not do that; yes if I would like to use them internally is still an option(slow one 5400rpm) ,but they are set in expanded mod so 2+2 to give a total of 4 TB of storage , so its no go till I pull all data out.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019

11. dbogss

dbogss Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix-RTX-2080
    Just look at this https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4155 ... the same thing I did(id not know about the security issue:p), they give a solution by mapping the drive as well, I will try that to see how it works, thanks for the info and Merry Christmas.
    [​IMG] Important: The change is not limited to WD Products.

For more details, please refer to Microsoft Article SMBv1 is not installed by default in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and Windows Server, version 1709

Enabling the "Network Browse" feature on a Windows 10 v1709 and higher requires enabling "CIFS SMB v1.0 and File Sharing" which is disabled by default due to security risk. Mapping the network drive is recommended over enabling the "Network Browse" feature. For instructions, please refer to Answer ID 25436: How To Map a WD Network Drive on Windows 10

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  12. Not really a no go, just requires a raid card (when you say expanded mode do you mean jbod or raid 0?). Its a last ditch option, for sure....but it does work. Anyways, as long as you got into it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2019
  13. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Yes, it is. And I wonder why you did it otherwise? ;)
    Mapping a drive is much easier than browsing.

Code:
    NET USE <LETTER TO MAP>: \\SERVER\NAME-OF-SHARE /PERSISTENT:YES

EXAMPLE:
    NET USE F: \\NAS\DATASTORE /PERSISTENT:YES

The example will map the share DATASTORE from server NAS to drive F: as a persistent share, means it survives reboot and can only be deleted manually. Otherwise the mapped drive is gone again after a reboot.
    Run this from an elevated cmd OR use the "map network drive" button from within COMPUTER and follow the on-screen instructions.
    If you need separate login details to access the share on your NAS, you may check a checkbook there to use different login details than your current Windows one to login to.
    For the CMD you may add:
    Code:
    /USER:yourusername yourpassword

Example:
    NET USE F: \\NAS\DATASTORE /PERSISTENT:YES /USER:386sx test1234 
    Hope this helps. :)

EDIT: Windows 10 is capable of running anything from smb 1.x to 3.x afaik. Just fyi.

14. dbogss

dbogss Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix-RTX-2080
    Thanks,i will try.

386SX likes this.