[WARNING] AMD Uninstall Utility is messed up even for win 7 ultimate x64

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by DM789, Feb 11, 2013.

1. DM789

DM789 Master Guru

GPU:
    NitroRX6800
    i was on 13.2 beta 3,

but because of the issues i'm experiencing with that beta version,

i decided that i'm gonna try switching first to 13.2 beta 5, then if beta 5 is a no go too, then i was gonna go back using 13.1 WHQL or 12.11 beta 11.

then when i was about to uninstall 13.2 beta 3, i decided to try AMD uninstall utiltiy, because i heard that people said that there is no issue for win 7 users.

but after i ran it, and then restarted my PC, suddenly i can't boot anymore, and my PC kept restart itself.

then windows asked me to run windows repair utility, and then i tried running it, but then it said that it cannot repair my windows installlation.

and then i was thinking "what a useless tool, that MS called it Win Repair Utility, but it can't even repair a damged win installation".

then i decided to try to enter safe mode, but i can't even enter it, it restarted it self, just like when i tried to enter normal mode.

i was already furious, because i think that i'm gonna have to reinstall my win installation.

then i saw "start windows with last known good configuration", and i thought that i might tried that first, and then i finally able to boot into my desktop.

i don't know what went wrong, but i try checking device manager, and it still said that my GPU is 7800 series, then i decided to uninstall it, and also uninstall the AMD HDMI audio, and then rescan it, then do the normal stuff (running driver sweeper).

and then i restart my pc and then installed 13.2 beta 5 (currently still on it).

then i decided to share my experience in this forum.

because AMD uninstall utility is dangerous, and its a lot safer using the usual method.

i know some hardcore AMD fanboy is gonna flame me for writing this down, but i just want to let people know that by using AMD uninstall utility, it can cause issue, heck i can't even boot to windows after using that utility.

i think that's all for now, i'm kinda glad that i don't have to hassle myself by reinstalling my windows, since i also haven't backup anything at all (all my steam, GOG, Desura games and all my music and stuff).

and i think AMD shouldn't release it, in its current state.

2. xacid0

xacid0 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti AMP! Omega
    good feedback, but it works fine for me. Win 7 64bit.

3. DM789

DM789 Master Guru

GPU:
    NitroRX6800
    thx, i know it works fine for some peoples,

that's why i try using it, everything seems fine at first, after it finished uninstalling it even asked me if i want to see the report, and everything in the report said success for everything and there is no error,

but after i restarted, i suddenly can't boot to desktop.

4. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    my guess is it deleted your AMD AHCI drivers...

try switching to IDE compatability mode in the BIOS.

5. DM789

DM789 Master Guru

GPU:
    NitroRX6800
    i haven't mess around with my BIOS in a long time, i don't even know if that option even exist on my BIOS, besides all my connection are SATA, why do i need to switch to IDE Compatibility mode ?

but for now everything seems fine, but i think i'm not gonna use that uninstall utility anymore.

and i hope AMD wont integrate it to their driver uninstaller, because if they gonna do that, then i hope they fix it, before integrating it.

6. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

I tried it, didn't help :/

7. pakoo

pakoo Member Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Red Devil EL
    I had exactly the same problem, but I could not recover S.O. Now just use the Atiman Uninstaller Only

8. WiFry

WiFry Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870 Directcu II
    I use the AMD uninstall utility for final clean up.
    So I still go to control panel, uninstall the CAP, restart, Unistall AMD drivers through the AMD install manager and then use the AMD clean up tool for remnants.

9. xacid0

xacid0 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti AMP! Omega
    So only happen to user with AMD proc?

10. PF Prophet

PF Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Acer A770+1070AmpEx
    I will say this again, use revo if you really need to cleanup the driver mess, it can always revert changes it made if a problem comes up.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Its so handy i bought a lifetime license many years ago, and if it cant get rid of something, your only fix is reinstall windows in my exp....even managed to get a bugged uninstal of symantek corporate AV off the system(their own removal tool couldnt find it.....)

very handy little app :)

11. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    This tool uninstalls all amd software...but why this a problem? I have an AMD AHCI/ chipset device/drivers myself...it uninstalls it, but after reboot I just reinstall all drivers without an any issues. Besides, for the love of black baby Jesus, just how this tool can break something that it doesn't even touches?!! For real???..you guys don't even know what you talking about here, right?!..I believe the problem lies at the point that someone already have a @uckedup OS before he/she/it manage to do with it much greater incorrect actions which led to something of a "Oh, no!..this software kills my hamster somehow! - don't use it!" :LOL

I believe, this can might help the topic starter here...
    [​IMG]

PS. My guess is here - DO NOT touch msconfig (or any boot related cfg's) if you really don't know how to properly edit it. And if you are using placebos "increase your wondows speed by 300% with one click" tool which messed up your registry - it's your fault and your alone...

PPS. Official AMD Catalyst Un-install Utility - the great tool overall...especially for those of us who are NOT a @uckedup boot settings/ registry entries or OS in general...regardless :)

12. DM789

DM789 Master Guru

GPU:
    NitroRX6800
    @fr33jack : i did not touch anything on my msconfig, did not even modified anything, my OS is untouched, and don't insult people by saying that they need read win7 for dummies book, do you even f*cking know anything about me or other people that have issue using the installer ?

and if you think the tool is great then good for you, no need to insult other peoples, just because you didn't had issue using it.

13. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    @dm789,
    well, if you are insulted by a simple joke, than...WELCOME to EARTH!..it will be harsh for touchy characters here...cause it's kinda not a fluffy "pony-land" or something...nor a kindergarten XD

PS. And judging by your topic content: Yes, I know this - your need more read about OS/ hardware configuring and maintenance...perhaps even a book for "dummies" ;)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  14. Racetrack

Racetrack Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 7970M 2GB
    It messed up my Asmedia USB 3.0 ports on my Win 7 install. Reinstalling the drivers for them isn't working so I guess I'd need to reformat.

Other than that no issues though

15. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

No. I can guarantee my OS is in no way "broken" (unless my OS tweaks are considered "broken" by bad software).

95% of software works great on my computer. Then there's the 5% that somehow manages to break it (Atiman and AMD's Uninstall Utility are part of this 5%). I have no idea what either of those programs uninstall "exactly", but they both managed to make my OS unbootable.

AMD's Uninstall Utility made my Windows 8 BSOD with some error related to not being able to find the boot device, and I gather from that, that the utility uninstalled the SATA driver (the SATA driver being from AMD). What else would the utility touch in relationship to the HDD?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2013

16. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    @Espionage724,
    really? Windows 8?..but this tool for Windows 7 only :) ...they doesn't released winxp, win8 version yet

Official Description:
    This standalone uninstallation utility will clean your system of any existing AMD Catalystâ„¢ drivers to prepare your PC for the clean installation of a new driver version. Currently supports Windows 7 at this time.

After running the utility, a restart of the computer is required to fully remove driver files that may be in use during the uninstall process. Installing a new driver prior to a system restart may cause the operating system to not function properly.

17. Deckard

Deckard Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3090ti Gaming X
    This is a user help forum, I don't see any helpful constructive words in use by you here.

Either offer advice or share your experience of the Ops Q's or refrain from posting

Everyone's system is set up different, what works for one may not work for others, If a user posts his observation about a bit of software or experience, that does not give you a licence to insult there ability or understanding. (joking or not)

@OP have you tried sending your findings to the AMD feedback team ?

regards

SaL.

18. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Both 7 and 8, same exact result (BSOD on boot). I tried it on 8 before AMD actually gave the disclaimer (originally it wasn't stated).

I didn't do anything else with drivers afterwards either (I ran the tool, let it do its thing, and rebooted when it asked)

19. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    @Deckard,
    one man's trash is another man's treasure ;)
    I see plenty of useful and constructive info in my words. From "rtfm" to useful psychotherapeutic council regarding state of the mind and such... :lol

...but ok, I will refrain from this moment.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  20. Stalinizator

Stalinizator Guest

GPU:
    now I see what makes all my programms to be marked as 'already deleted' when I try to uninstall them.