Vista: "Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, has successfully recovered"

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by NeoElNino, Jun 30, 2007.

1. AdamK47

AdamK47 Banned

GPU:
    Verite V1000 & Voodoo 4MB
    It's still there.

2. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    Creative drivers are a leading cause of TDR errors.......

3. Silentspy

Silentspy Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5870 Vapor-X
    yep i can verify its still there, im getting windows seven RTM version any day now to verify if its fixed in last build

but i noticed much less crashes however

4. Amigafan35

Amigafan35 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1080TI FE
    I'm getting this nvlddmkm has stopped responding issue in windows 7, but only if I enable the print preview option in the epson printer settings, go to print something with the preview enabled & bam, screen blacks out for a few seconds & up pops the error!! It's never happened at all during gaming though, go figure! lol.

5. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    and all 3 of you are running Built by creative sound cards, while others saying its fixed are running onboard, built by auzentech or cmi based products.

6. Silentspy

Silentspy Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5870 Vapor-X
    trust me, removing the soundcard was my first idea. i completely took it out of the case and enabled back my supreme xfi(asus onboard)

7. tehalirigsho

tehalirigsho Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 SC
    well . . . its not showing up for me at all anymore.

everyone is running driver sweeper in safe mode right??

8. Garethporlest22

Garethporlest22 New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTS 240 1028 MB
    Okay well.

I just encountered a problem like this tonight. It happened at 1:35 am, even though I didn't find out about the error till 3:20 or so. I was watching TV on Hulu, 3 shows. First one was around the error. I was watching in full screen. Anyways, I can't remember 100% but the fullscreen might have minimized to regular size and I was like well what's going on and checked the quickbar to see if anything popped up and nothing did. So went back in. Anyways near the end of watching, I accidentally (while hulu was still running) minimized Firefox and got to the desktop, saw it was black and went "hmmm."

I figured it was just a quick thing because Hulu was still running. So I stop it and go to my home on Firefox and minimize again..and still black. So I try changing background picture, doesn't fix anything. Figuring something is going on I check event viewer to be sure and go down the list till I get to 1:35 am. I notice this error "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" and decide to look it up and that's how I got here.

My problem seems a bit different though, I go to Guild Wars and it runs fine for about 25 minutes. Go to Lord of the Rings online and it works fine, no BSOD's or freezes. Lord of the Rings Online makes my Windows theme, Win 7 basic instead of what I'm using.. anyways I close out of LOTRO and tadah! my background is back. Now I'm completely confused. Haven't gotten the error since then, but I'm also not gonna run Hulu anymore as that maybe what caused it.

What I'm guessing fixed it somehow was it having to switch the theme. (Even though I tried switching, it didn't work). So anyone have any clue here? I mean is this the same thing, did anyone else experience this at first before it got worse? Or is this as worse as it's gonna get?

I haven't updated to the latest nvidia drivers yet, I figure I'll wait before I start that hassle. I also noticed I haven't read anything recent about this problem happening, has it been fixed by a recent (4 month or so) update? The drivers for this PC date back to June of 09. Also my OS is updated completely and I don't have any Windows updated drivers for anything.

Just a note, I hadn't changed anything and everything is still stock.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  9. Silentspy

Silentspy Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5870 Vapor-X
    oh well just got my windows seven from amazon and i all i can say so far is i still got the issues, my bet its the grapich card that is defect.

guess i fix it next week and back to my old 8800gtx(will tell if i notice any issues)

10. AdamK47

AdamK47 Banned

GPU:
    Verite V1000 & Voodoo 4MB
    He was saying the file was gone. The file is still there. I don't have the problem of the driver stopping and restarting.

11. microsonic

microsonic Member

GPU:
    MSI 8800GT@700/1700/2000
  12. toyzruz

toyzruz Member Guru

GPU:
    Gtx280@sli
    what happened instead? reboot? Or does everything run fine now ... Where did you get the tdr problem? And now it has vanished?

13. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    disabling TDR just increases the risk of BSOD.

I'd rather find the fix for TDR's imo.

14. toyzruz

toyzruz Member Guru

GPU:
    Gtx280@sli
    think so , too

15. toyzruz

toyzruz Member Guru

GPU:
    Gtx280@sli
    ... where is this entry @win7?

16. microsonic

microsonic Member

GPU:
    MSI 8800GT@700/1700/2000
    i always was getting driver restart as soon as my gpu become 65-70c hot, this is not even peak temps for g92, and i'm sure its nvidia driver bug, coz it doesnt happen with 186.18 and lower, and always happens with higher drivers, so if u 100% sure everything in ur system working fine and that its driver/os or smth else bug u can safely disable it.

ps. No i'm not getting bsod or pc reboot with it disabled.

17. toyzruz

toyzruz Member Guru

GPU:
    Gtx280@sli
    where is this entry in win7registry?????

18. Mojak

Mojak Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470
    read this very carefully

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  19. Mojak

Mojak Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470
    To add to this fun.

I run windows 7 64 bit ultimate with a BFG GTX 285.

I ran driver version 182.50 for the longest time and it was stable. I updated to 191.07 and BAM I started seeing the nvlddmkm BSOD's. I downgraded back to 182.50 and still kept getting these BSOD's. I'd boot up into XP 64, to which I had made no changes and kept getting these BSOD's. So I started thinking it was a Hardware problem. Maybe running too hot or somtehing more evil.

I started noticing that this was only happening in World of Warcraft. I could run Furmark for hours without any problems etc.

I decided to try a fix someone had linked on the WoW forums which uses rivatuner to force 3d performance mode to always be on.

Since I did that I stopped having TDR's and Bluescreens.

The problem I have with this, it worked before upgrading to 191.07, and it worked in all OS's without a problem. It only happens in WoW. Other games are fine. Prototype, Unreal2, 3, ut2004, Quake4, Doom 3, Crysis... you name it, they run fine... Its just WoW that pukes.

Does the fact that it works with all other games I play, but only crashes with wow point to wow having a problem, or should I maybe return the card since I shouldnt have to set it to be in 3d performance mode all the time?

20. toyzruz

toyzruz Member Guru

GPU:
    Gtx280@sli
    "add"!! thats what it s all about ... thx mate. ;)