Vehicles of Guru3D thread #2

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Glidefan, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frohman0905

Frohman0905 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX680 2GB OC @ 1202/7000
    Having owned 2 BMW's (E90 and F31), I have to dissagree. Yes, they are expensive (so is Merc and Audi) but rock solid. With my E90, the only issue I had was the airconditioning making strange noises, which was fixed very quickly. I'm currently driving a F31 Touring and I'm very happy with it.

Did a road trip last week to Geneva with some friends and the ride was really comfortable. I spend a lot of time in my car for work purposes as well and I never get out of my car with a back that hurts.

Most of our managers are driving 5 series and I never hear them complain.

@Mr.Bigtime,

Reading your last 2 paragraphs, you already made up your mind it seems :)

You don't like a high fuel consumption => sell the freelander
    You want horse power and low fuel consumption => buy the BMW

2. ancientGHz

ancientGHz Guest

GPU:
    /
    ----

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  3. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    There is Audi A5 quadro 2.0 TFI something with 210 HP. a power machine with acceptable fuel economy. BUT facelift is so old hu?

4. ancientGHz

ancientGHz Guest

GPU:
    /
    ----

5. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Well said . And as bonus they take my freelander at normal price. As they r the same dealers.

6. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I was referring to an E90 (328i) as my most recent BMW experience. An $1800 water pump is not a normal cost for any car. That's ridiculous for a water pump. And at 61k miles, it shouldn't be breaking. That's what you get when you make an electronic water pump (to apparently gain an extra 2-3 HP). This is not an uncommon issue. (look it up)

I also hate the unreliable electronic dipstick in the E90. Having an electronic readout for oil level is fine but why did they remove the regular one under the hood altogether? Also not fond of electronic brake pad sensors which do little more than contribute to more costly brake jobs.

Look up a BMW forum and/or research the car you are wanting to buy thoroughly. They are great cars when they are working but a total nightmare when they aren't. I've owned a lot of cars and I will personally never touch BMW again. You can drive cars just as nice and just as fast without all the headaches.

Doesn't sound like you'll be swayed away though so I hope yours works out better than mine (and the ones my family have owned). :)

7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Think I'll correct some misinformation. Mercedes in the 90s until about 2002 is top notch quality, I've had R129 SL500, a w124 e320(94) and a e420 (95) quality is is excellent.. It wasn't until the acquisition of Chrysler in 2002 that quality went down. Daimler Chryslers fault. 2010 e63, 2009 e350, and current 2013 cls550 are much better quality then when Chrysler was in the picture. I haven't personally had any issues with them, though.

8. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    And I must add that my previous Honda CRV was rock solid than this freelander 2. Even my dad range rover 2011 had several errors and break downs. Don't know why these happens.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I'll continue where Agent left off, and clean up the rest of the BS. First off, BMW parts may be expensive however claiming $1800 for a waterpump is ridiculous. Brand new genuine OEM units from BMW are $400 USD, there's always aftermarket parts anyway which are a lot cheaper.

And the 328i experience doesn't equate to a 5xx or 7xx. An E90 is what my mum would take to the supermarket, they aren't meant for road trips. I know cause my old flatmate has a 320; my friend a 728i; and my brother's last ride was a 740i. The 7's are more like the old Cadillac Fleetwood I had in USA which was a wallowing tank. The Legacy GTB my bro has now is hard, maybe the Bilstien shocks have frozen....I don't remember my Legacy being that bad....

Fwiw, the E39 5 series ('97-'03) is one of the most successful cars ever produced..... After that they went downhill though I admit.....

Edit;

As this is the car thread I may as well post a pic...;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  10. ancientGHz

ancientGHz Guest

GPU:
    /
    ----

11. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    I have heard of far fewer issues with the e39 than the e90, I admit.

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Do I?

[​IMG]

http://www.caranddriver.com/bmw/5-series

13. ancientGHz

ancientGHz Guest

GPU:
    /
    ----

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Who's 530i do you think is in that photo? It's mine.

15. ancientGHz

ancientGHz Guest

GPU:
    /
    ----

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Are you kidding I love that car, power, luxury, ride and handling all in one package. Unfortunately though in NZ the speed limit is 100km/h, not 240km/h.

I'd love to be back in the USA, they have 80-85mph limits out west now. When I was there it was 75.

Still, speed isn't everything...ride and handling is more useful on crap roads like we have anyway..

17. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    The part was $1200. Called around. By all means find me an E90 water pump for under $1000 locally. Besides, you actually think $400 is a good price for a water pump? For most cars we're talking $30-$100, max for a water pump. And seeing an E90 is about as common as seeing a Ford Focus so it's not like some rare part for a rare model... Hence my point with the BMW way. I understand paying more to drive/maintain nicer cars. My current car costs more than a typical car to fix but not outlandishly more. It also doesn't break much so it doesn't seem to matter.

The E90 is en entry level, clearly. We're also talking about the newer BMWs. The older ones are fine (well, better). The new ones are not something I would ever consider again.

I still love a good BMW, I love the way they drive, I just won't own one again unless it's a 2nd/3rd vehicle. Myself, I've moved onto Japanese luxury sedans. Far less headaches and just as fast, more comfy (I think BMWs are just too stiff of a ride). I can live without the greatest handling as I never have reason (or good roads) to push the car to the limit anyways and it's not like my current Infiniti is a dog on the corners. Overall, it can absolutely hang with an S-class or 7 series (I'd keep mine over either).

We obviously all like some fantastic cars and won't settle for something pedestrian. :)

18. ancientGHz

ancientGHz Guest

GPU:
    /
    ----

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah, all 6yrs I worked states I only ever had one car, a '92 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham.
    That thing handled like a drunk pig, sucked gas like a $2 whore giving head and managed to do 0-60 in about 5mins flat thanks to the 5.0 V8 Chev cowering under the hood. :D

But man did that thing ride..... work and back was 150miles each day on the interstate and tbh I loved every minute of it.
    I really loved that Caddy.....prob my most favorite ride ever. Course they're built for the smooth interstates, not windy 2 lane UK/Australian/NZ roads...lol

Coincidentally I'm hunting for an E39 M-Tech, hope to import one from Japan.
    They're so unbelievably cheap there that even after $2500 added on for shipping we save $5000 vs buying one locally.

Never done it before so if anyone has suggestions I'm listening. :)

Example: Japan 2003 M5 w/ 58Km's on the clock. After all expenses paid will cost around 6k for to import.

[​IMG]

vs

the exact same car 530i 2003 with 128km's for sale in New Zealand. Only this one is 13K.

[​IMG]

Dunno how things are in the US now but get shafted here in NZ.

Btw Who sold you the waterpump for $1200? There's heaps of them on ebay for $350, brand new OEM.

Here's one...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-OEM-E90...-Pump-WITH-Bolt-Kit-11517586925-/321322187690

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  20. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    hey guys i was in a little holiday out of city.

i wish i can afford Q7 but i cant :( .and even if i was able, i would go for Range Rover Sport for that money :D

i will go for 520i which is 1.6 Engine and 170 HP. bye bye Freelander 2. i went oput of city this weekend with that. and really Tiring me while driving :(

edit: the bigger the engine the more the tax here.

3.0 engine eats 148% tax. can u imagine!! crazy. this is why i go for 5 20i . it is 1.6 . and fuel economy is great.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.