Valve's SteamOS

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by scatman839, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Didn't Gabe say they were working on some sort of motion controlled wearable controller?

I have a 360 controller and already use a TV, so I will be fine but surely the UI will be garish on a monitor up close and the OS very hard to use with a mouse/kb, as i know Big Picture is.

2. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Doubt it, it wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a monitor and a tv anyway

3. WindtalkerCS

WindtalkerCS Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 280's
    Maybe if you are running terrible wifi but if you have a wired network we are talking about fractions of a millisecond.

4. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Number of the top of my head, I didn't look it up or have any other devices on to ping

5. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Am i the only one that previous to this was like "i just don´t change definitely to linux because of my games" and now is like "**** yeah i´m going steam OS" ?

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It's not the network that will produce the lag.

It won't be fractions of a ms to take a 1920x1080 game and encode that into I'm guessing will be a x264 1080 ******.
    Even 30fps will need a beefy PC on the other side.

7. AlexKidd5000

AlexKidd5000 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 280X
    I hope it gains alot of momentum within the next year or two, I already use Linux 99% of the time anyway, so this is good news.

8. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    [​IMG]

9. BABA-The Hacker

BABA-The Hacker Banned

GPU:
    PALIT GTX770 OC 2GB
    years ago...they demonstrated this: Free yourself

now i understand.....

10. kosh_neranek

kosh_neranek Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070@2101 Boost
    I like where this is going, can't wait for the next announcements. Nvidia's shield was quite interesting but this look like it's gonna work much better thanks to hardwired network.Now show me the box and controllers!

11. 007.SirBond

007.SirBond Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX Titan 6GB
    I wonder if the Steam OS will be able to devote more resources towards games. Say if you are only running the Steam OS operating system on a PC and using that PC as strictly gaming, that means you can run your steam games without the Windows OS as well, would that mean more CPU and GPU power towards the game itself? I'm thinking games that are CPU bottlenecked like Arma 3 might benefit, yes?

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Considering the market share of Windows, it's unlikely to gain any real momentum at all. It's a niche product at best...and an utter failure at worst. Game developers will go where the largest market share is....and that's DirectX and Windows. Running a UI designed by Valve overtop of Linux isn't going to be enough to convince most gamers to move to Linux. People already complain about the "learning curve" switching to Windows8....the "learning curve" for Linux is considerably worse and most users are too lazy to take the time to learn it (much like Windows8).

13. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    True however in this case, the learning curve is likely no more than it is using your Xbox UI, or more to the big screen UI, perhaps with a few more options and completely useable via a gamepad.

Valve is now a console wannabe. It's not a bad thing bringing in the benefits of consoles to the PC, especially with so many consumers buying laptops/tablets to replace desktops, I could see a much larger market for HTPC's or small Alienware X11 type PC's opening up if they can put up the marketing muscle. I think most hardcore graphics whores would like to get away from sitting at a computer desk if possible, though kb/mouse from couches don't typically work out too well.

14. Blackops_2

Blackops_2 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Since the OS is free and according to most can be used to ****** (why is s t r e a m blocked?) games through LAN to your den from your desktop..i like it. I'll be dual booting on my laptop to test it out for sure.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Now i'm sure some might want to test how well Linux runs games compared to Windows.....but if you don't care about that and don't want to dual boot and use SteamOS to do the game s t reaming thing.

"Four new Steam features focused on the living room.

Available soon in both SteamOS and the Steam client."

Unless i'm reading it wrong all four parts of this are being added to the Steam client, not intrested in the stre aming part myself as my PC is not up to encoding and sending high resolution/bitrate/framerate video and it still be playable.

16. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Not the best comparison for s t reaming video games, but I have splashtop on Ipad and can technically play games from my PC, it actually works really well, I'm sure there is some lag but it wasn't noticeable but I have a very expensive gaming router which probably helps. If it s t reams that well to an ipad I'm sure it could do just as good in the least.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    SteamOS is supposed to be limited in what it can run....which will limit it's usefulness greatly as an OS. However, for what it can run outside of the Steam software itself, the user will have to learn how to install manually if not found on Steam. Most users aren't going to want to go through that....

18. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I like the idea, I plan on getting a new pc next year and this one will be an xbmc box, be cool to run steam os and xbmc together for media playback and casual gaming (with my 360 controller).

19. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    A lot of people here are approaching this way to cynically. The thing is free.
    It's at least got a whole lot more purpose as an OS than Google's chromeOS does/did.

Operating systems are still needlessly too expensive, because let's face it anything that is not Windows or Mac simply does not have enough steam (no pun intended) to be anything but for a niche group of people, so if a big company like Valve can offer and support one for free that sounds good to me. Having it centered around gaming is just icing on the cake.
    I suspect after it comes out it will take a bit of time for it to gain enough momentum for myself to use, but I think in time little things like VOIP programs and benchmark programs (should be interesting on this OS promising better performance) start to add support I think at the very least it deserves a dual boot (with a HDD/partition with enough space to install your whole steam library + some).

20. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    I don't have a TV and no gaming family members. *sniff* So I have no use for a Steam OS. It's time to commit suicide. :p