Unwinder announced removal of AMD GPU support for RTSS yesterday

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by mtrai, Sep 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
  2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Is that actually Unwinder? Doesn't sound like him tbh, joined 1 year ago and only 27 karma?

fantaskarsef likes this.
  3. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    I believe it is him, as has never posted much at all on reddit the older posts also carry his same tone at times from him posting here. But yeah he is one and the same.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    English sounds pretty broken on the reddit post, not on G3D, and I would have thought something like that (Which I find hard to believe is true tbh) would have been announced here rather than a 2 line post on reddit

Calling fake on this one

5. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    I am sure we will find out if this is true or not...hence why I posted it in the a sub forum vs news.

6. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    From my personal observation Unwinder likes to throw odd, controversial claims and to change his mind later. Even if he will remove support for amd cards, which i doubt he will do, he will bring it back sooner or later.

mtrai likes this.
  7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    You know guys you can send him a notification for this @Unwinder ;)

Extraordinary likes this.
  8. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Yes, that’s my account and I also declared the same in RTSS development thread: RTSS OSD support for Vulkan applications presenting frames from compute queue on AMD cards (i.e. id Tech 6 engine based games: Doom and Wolfenstein 2) will be removed from the next version of RTSS. Amount of lie about product, which I’m seeing from Vega cards owners last couple months is beyond the limits, it is boring and time consuming to waste work time on addressing endless false statements generated by some youtubers. It is time consuming to continue explaining people that OSD performance penalty on AMD cards in those 2 games is not a part of GPP, that it is independent software product and both NV nor AMD have zero chances to add ANY marketing tricks to it, that performance penalty is documented since day one, that nobody is slowing down AMD cards to make NV cards look better in benchmarks, that is not a terrible bug that stupid developer is not seeing, that it is not a result of bad programming, that RTSS is not killing AMD cards performance in any other applications etc etc etc. Experienced AMD users understanding specifics of using RTSS OSD in those 2 applications will still be able to force it via profiles. So people able to think will not lose anything. And youtube “reviewers” using this hype to generate new clicks will simply lose the chance to continue doing that.

shaga, AsiJu, blitz72 and 14 others like this.
  9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Ah that makes more sense, and fair enough, still being able to force it via profiles is good, tbh mate you shouldn't waste time explaining yourself, release your application with disclaimer and let people complain, happens with everything anyway

And to be fair, the only feedback you want to hear is from those who understand how it works anyway ;)

10. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    Thanks @Unwinder for the explanation. While I do not use AB anylonger, I do appreciate all the work you put into it. It is also why I posted this here in the AMD driver section as most here tend to have calmer heads to discuss things before it spiraled downward, so you could respond easily and early.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018

11. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Im not using AB, only RTSS for FPS cap in some titles.

But i need to point that we are Happy to have AB & RTSS for Radeons.
    Just don't worry about misbehaviour, make AB for those who using it (For the ones in need, period) :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    PrMinisterGR, Maddness and AlleyViper like this.
  12. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    THE TOPIC NAME IS MISLEADING

mirh and AlleyViper like this.
  13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    @mtrai : Can you place Unwinder's reply here as quote to OP?

And name of topic should contain: "Vulkan OSD disabled by default."
    Not that horrid name which looks like click bait/doomsday for AMD.

14. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    I can't change the title but if another can please feel free...his reply here and his linking to his statement has clarified the matter which was all I was looking for. I have always appreciated all the work he has done. No it was not click bait...

His post yesterday on reddit stated this as I linked in the OP. So the title was fitting until he responded or pointed to more information.

"
    AlexUnwinder

0 points 1 day ago
    Some users have massive bug inside their knowledge. You did you "job", I'm removing support for AMD cards from RTSS, providing free tools for AMD community gives nothing but disappointment."

15. Seren

Seren Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX570
    Disabling RTSS on Vulkan titles for AMD won't solve the issue until well after the release version has been released as benchmarkers often use old versions and obviously never beta versions. By then, whatever is causing the conflict might be resolved?

16. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Sadly I cannot fix education of some users with software update. Use search please, I invested _days_ of my work time on discussing and explaining it over, over and over again.

plywood99 likes this.
  17. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    Then here comes a tip: just do not, take a break from discussions, this will be definitely way better than removing any functionality from a software. From personal experience i know communities can be harsh and dealing with them can be pain in the ass which will end with questioning sense of developing a software. I can see that's what just has happened to you. Just ignore the community and do your thing. Afterburner is wonderful piece of software and everybody loves it, even if on forum someone would say something like "ab is crap", that's totally not true and such person has no idea what is talking about. Do not remove anything, do a break from communities and do your tasks which you have to do on afterburner.

user1 and OnnA like this.
  18. Kaerar

Kaerar Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    As a Vega64 user the complaints from other V64 users seems a little odd. It works pretty well for me. Much better than other software. Would rather not have to fuss around with profiles to get the OSD back :(

EDIT: Just looking through the posts and the inaccurate FPS representation in Vulkan games, it's more just a knowledge thing. Some outlets presenting something as fact when not knowing what's causing the slow down. The users report what they are seeing and the immediate problem is seen as RTSS, it's not technically correct but using RTSS does cause the perceived performance loss. Not through any fault of it's own though.

Removing it is a little OTT IMO as it's a knee jerk to people being misinformed which isn't the same as lying.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  19. Xzess

Xzess Member

GPU:
    R9 380 4gb
    I am sorry about what you say. But Be reasonable, why to punish every RTTS user because 4 high voice trolls? Be patient, I think you sould see the whole picture, I am sure there are many (more) others that are very proud and thank you a lot your work!

20. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Afterburner already has some of the most extensive readmes and tooltips in the program than anything I've used. If people can't spend the time to read and stop thinking they know everything then sorry but that's their problem.
    I would have jumped off a building by now if I had to answer the same questions day in and day out by people who refuse to read the readmes

shaga and AsiJu like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.