The RTX 2080Ti thread (cont.)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Glidefan, Mar 31, 2019.

1. eon2000

eon2000 New Member

GPU:
    Patriot 16GIG
  2. darrensimmons

darrensimmons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX4090AMPEXT
    Been doing some testing on my 2080ti duke. Will boost to 2150 with +130 on core and 8000mhz on memory. The memory is samsung so got lucky there. Core will run at +150 but wanna make sure I keep this card for a while. Love this card sooooo much:)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  3. Dan Longman

Dan Longman Master Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    I think you mean 2145, 2150 isn't a step. :p

on water my card will sustain 2130/2115 under load dropping to 2100 when hitting power cap @ 120%, @ 39c

If I push it higher it will crash but super stable at these settings even with RTX titles such as control.
    factory OC on my card is 90mhz, then I have +150mhz core in AB and +800mhz memory I can go to 900 on memory but no performance increases over 800. (only micron memory in mine)

4. darrensimmons

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX4090AMPEXT
    Yeah sorry just rounding up :)

5. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Glad to hear that you got a nice card! After I got over the initial wow factor and OC testing, I started reducing voltage. I've since ended up with a totally stable 2070MHz core/8000MHz mem @ 1.000v

That has reduced power usage by anywhere from 10% to 17% depending on the game, so much less chance of bouncing off the power limiter when at full load. Maybe give it a try? In my case, 2100MHz+ @ 1.05v just isn't worth the extra heat and power compared to 2070MHz @1.000v :)

6. darrensimmons

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX4090AMPEXT
    Thanks. I haven't messed with the voltage at all its still locked in msi afterburner. I don't think i'd get much more upping the voltage plus don't want to limit the life of the card tbh.

7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Any of you guys had experience with both the ASUS Strix OC card and the MSI Gaming X Trio? Which would you recommend? I've RMAd my 2nd MSI card now and I'm thinking if I should ask them to give me the ASUS as replacement card instead of the MSI? I have a friend who has the ASUS and in his case it feels like the fan noise is pretty pleasant. This card does not OC too well but I guess it's the silicon lottery as always.

8. darrensimmons

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX4090AMPEXT
    Go for the Duke, it's mental :)

9. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Personally I would go with Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix, have one and very pleased with performance of this GPU, OC well and no issues

Best BIOS for this card is Matrix BIOS

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

10. lukas_1987_dion

lukas_1987_dion Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Phantom GS
    Is my card dying? I mean before I could OC it by 70mhz for core now it only accepts 20mhz before restarting my PC while playing (for example) Devil May Cry 5. Or it's other issue?
    I have 2080Ti Zotac AMP, latest drivers, DDU cleaned and installed.

11. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I don't think its yours GPU dying, it can be down to game too, in some games I'm running 2145-2160MHz in some 2115MHz as max and in RT enabled games 2085-2100MHz as max

Just double check in other games etc there

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Thanks for your inpuit but my RMA got denied so I'm stuck with my crappy card.

I've got the same problem as you man. I could OC fairly well before but after a few months I can hardly OC at all, also the card now gets quite hot. I don't get PC restarts, instead I get CTDs due to nVidia display driver crash.

Can't wait for Ampere and I'll also never touch MSI again.

lukas_1987_dion likes this.
  13. Driller_au

Driller_au Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Airo
    Hi Jura11, on my 2080Ti strix i used the galax 380w bios but lost a port ( i don't need it ) i was just wondering in what ways is the 360w matrix bios is better ? as you test these things a lot

14. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

With Galax 380W BIOS you will loose one DP port and HDMI port that's for sure on Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix because Galax 380W BIOS is more oriented for reference PCB not custom PCB like is Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix

Matrix BIOS is best for me because I have two monitors setup and 4k TV as well and can use all ports, difference in OC I would say XOC BIOS is best for OC, in good ambient temperature and low water temperature I can push my to 2190MHz but that's is absolutely max which I achieved only two times, stock Strix BIOS is poor one because low power limit as you know, OC is OK on this BIOS

With Matrix which I think is 360W my best OC is 2145-2160MHz with +800MHz on VRAM and no issues in gaming

Personally I would flash Matrix BIOS on Quiet switch BIOS and leave 380W like that, you will see with which you have better experience

I think abd I tested that, Matrix BIOS seems is better in results than Galax 380W BIOS because of Galax 380W BIOS does use or have loose VRAM timings if you comparing to Matrix or XOC BIOS

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

Driller_au likes this.
  15. Driller_au

Driller_au Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Airo
    Thanks Jura11 well explained, i think i will flash the matrix bios over the galax bios as i have had a few video scheduler error blue screens since i flashed the galax bios , it did seem better after i increased the VCCIO and SA in bios

16. Nastya

Nastya Member Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Since most of the experiences about flashing other BIOSes in this thread turned out positive, I went ahead and tried it out myself.
    Flashed the Strix 2080 Ti Matrix BIOS onto my Strix 2080 Ti OC BIOS, seemed fine at first, however Chrome would suddenly consist of a giant corrupted black window, and the OC Scanner would straight up quit after 30 Seconds, leaving the average OC at 0 Mhz.

Not sure what I did wrong, flashed back the old BIOS and everything is good again.

17. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Run CCleaner / bleachbit to clean out temp files, / reg clean, then reinstall chrome, usually fixes it, ive had it happen to me.
    Alternatively exit Chrome and remove the ''Google'' folder in C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local, & DDU your gpu drivers after a bios switch can sort it.
    Believe its to do with the hardware acceleration switch, as switching the bios, is pretty much like switching to a different GPU.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  18. Nastya

Nastya Member Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Thanks for the input, I did just that, although my user data folder got lost in the process, Chrome started up fine again. Tried DDUing the previous driver install to no avail.

Maybe I flashed the BIOS wrong? Downloaded the most recent nvflash, then just input nvflash64 -6 TU102.rom. Disabled the driver in the device manager beforehand.

EDIT: All OC Scanner problems were able to be fixed by an OS reinstall.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  19. Driller_au

Driller_au Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Airo
    I am new to this bios flashing to, every time i flashed chrome was a black screen after i flashed the galax and matrix bios i just used edge to download chrome and over wrote the install and all was good didn't lose anything that way, on techpowerup there are two matrix bios i used the one ending in C ( 90.02.30.00.4C ) which has been good for me though i didn't use OC scanner just put my overclocks back in manually

Some fun facts about the galax 380w and matrix 360w bios on my 2080 Ti strix
    time spy results
    galax bios 2175mhz 13892 score. 2200mhz 14543 score
    matrix bios 2175mhz 14655 score 2200mhz crash
    so for me the matrix bios is far better

jura11 likes this.
  20. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Its strange you have issues with Matrix BIOS because I flashed this BIOS on two other Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix which are friends ones and both perform pretty well, good OC although I didn't used MSI Afterburner OC Scanner

Stock base or boost clock for Asus RTX 2080Ti Matrix is 2070MHz and VRAM is usually running at higher speeds too I think 300-400MHz is higher than base clock on RTX 2080Ti due this I recommend try add +500MHz or you can try +700MHz if you have Samsung memory

I personally running +70-90MHz on core on Matrix BIOS, in some benchmarks I can run +110-125MHz on core

Best to date OC on Matrix BIOS is 2190Mhz and usual OC sits at 2145-2160MHz

This Chrome issue I never encountered there

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura