The official MMA thread - everything Mixed Martial Arts!

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by DSparil, Jun 16, 2014.

1. brunopita

brunopita Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming R9 270X 2GB
    He showed up in UFC 162 if I'm not wrong. The first time Anderson Silva lost to Weidman. But he is not the same boxer of the first 50 fights.

2. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Royce Gracie was amazing but his older brother Rickson (pronouced as Hickson) was even better, much better in my opinion. Apparently he is undefeated in over 400 fights.

He will challenge any fighter of any style of any weight.

He teaches a wide range of the worlds Special forces in Mortal Combat to be applied for real in the Battlefield.

He is getting on now but he is definitely the best ground fighter that has ever lived that i know of and argubly the one of the greatest MMA fighters ever, for me anyhow:)

Check out his breathing techniques.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfFOSramzb4

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I don't like the image and spirit of UFC. It feels like reality TV, and you can tell that fighters are just doing their job instead of say living the bushido.
    Its all about the contracts :puke2:

Pride was my favorite (and early UFC lol), but since they are no more UFC is the next closest thing.

MMA has advanced tremendously in recent years (and this takes away some fun(!)).
    The sport is still relatively young and I'm pretty sure there is still room for theoretical improvements, but this is not so obvious due to it's complexity.

4. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Hmm, impressive. Aside from him and Royce, I don't recall too many Gracies having that level of success in MMA though. Didn't Renzo and Royler not fare too well? Perhaps I am getting some of them mixed up, as there are many in the Gracie family.

I'll tell you who I am a big fan of and have been since I started watching MMA - Dan Severn. He earned the name "The Beast" for a reason. Before there were rules governing the sport, he would drop knee guys on the head. I mean the guy s MMA record is 101-19! He was one hell of wrestler. The benchmark by which all wrestlers followed in my book. I know he lost to Royce in the early days, but who didn't lol.

Ahh, you must be talking primarily about The Ultimate Fighter reality show. I am not a fan of it anymore at all. I used to love it, but its way overplayed in my book and they do far too many of them. It lost its novelty over 5 years ago and doesn't have anything new to offer, aside from female bantamweight competitors.

I can definitely see where you're coming from when you say that's reality TV like.

5. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Did anyone catch the highlights to UFC 175? Here's all 16 seconds of Ronda Rousey's fight lol

[​IMG]

6. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Yeah, I saw the whole event. lol, Alexis Davis got smoked.... what a joke! Is there anyone in that ladies division that can even challenge Rousey? I'd like to see Cat Zigano give it a shot, but shes been injured.

How about that main event too, Machida gave it a good run! We now know Weidmans weakness is his cardio and that if you can get him into later rounds, you have a chance to win. I feel like one more round could have resulted in a Machida KO. Great fight though. The Uriah Hall fight was also impressive! That guy is tough as nails to fight all three rounds with a broken toe. I mean wow, that had to be painful. He still won it too!

Btw, anyone catch that BJ Penn vs Edgar fight on Sunday night? Wow did Penn look off! It is definitely time for him to retire. It's a shame because I was really hoping for a better performance from him there. I'm sorry to say, he looked uninspired, slow and washed up :hit:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  7. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    To be honest, I was not expecting the fight to go like that. I fully expected Rousey to win, but not like that. I expected Alexis Davis to give her a run for her money and take it the full 5 rounds. But as you know, anything can happen. The women's bantemweight division isn't really bursting with talent right now. I mean, there really were only 4 people who I thought could give Ronda Rousey a run for her belt and she's beaten 2 of them already (Sarah McMann and Alexis Davis). So that leaves Cat Zingano and Bethe Correia left. And those 2 gals are a force to be reckoned with. I would glady pay to see Rousey go against either one of them.

8. KCjoker

KCjoker Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460/w LG 24 LCD
    I don't think Weidman's cardio is bad at all. He was pushing the pace from the very start plus he took a lot of kicks to his chest/side that slowed him down later on. Still even then he was going toe to toe with Machida and showed he can take a punch. Only fighter that can stop Weidman is Silva IMO and he's already lost to him twice.

9. brunopita

brunopita Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming R9 270X 2GB
    Forgot to watch most of the first event and nothing of Penn x Edgar.

It's the first time Weidman fights for 5 rounds, don't think his cardio is bad but has room to improvement. Lyoto should had started more aggressive, which is something his style sometimes does not allow. Great win for Weidman, and Silva already said in a interview here in Brazil that he won't fight Weidman again. But you guys just wait for Ronaldo Jacaré in this category.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014