The GTX 1080 thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by bugsixx, May 7, 2016.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black

Newer drivers will stress it more, so like others said 350-500mhz+ wasn't 100% stable.

And I noticed v.high ram OC can break it too (by failed OC) and sometimes makes negative fps after, even at stock vram. It needs total power off reset + driver reinstall.

2. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    What case do you use and what ambient temps do you have?

Mine idles at 40c and gets up to 76c playing the division

3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Hey Jura.

Well, water seems like a great solution indeed but it's too costly and complicated for me though. Might perhaps one day buy an AIO for my next card, we'll see.

Interesting that this happens, drivers are supposed to improve things, not the other way around. Or they're simply better at knowing what is a stable OC and what isn't.

4. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Its not complicated to do so, just you will need bit more time to do so, expensive this depends, have look on EK X360 kit add there one GPU block and add one extra 240mm 60mm rad plus 4 fans and 8 extra G1/4 13/10 fittings and with this setup you will have for sure better temps

AIO/CLC on GPU is big no no for me, been there, learned that hard way, EVGA Hybrid failed, but at least no damage has happen

Only these aftermarket GPU coolers I would consider is Raijintek Morpheus or Accelero Xtreme IV

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

5. Thelmet

Thelmet Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Complete noob here.

I just got an EVGA 1080 SC and I am wondering if there is a water block that works with it. I am not looking to overclock. It just gets loud as is and its 70c in demanding games and its not even summer yet.

Thanks

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
  7. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Something is not right there. I had the FTW version and it was very quiet, even under load.

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Sorry Jura but I don't agree. I would never be able to buy a complete loop without reading up a whole lot and checking youtube tutorials. I don't even know exactly what type of components are needed other than a rad, a pump, blocks, tubes, fittings and finally a reservoir. I think there are different sizes of tubes which require specific fittings. I've read that the pump needs to have a certain power depending on the rad size. And so forth...

Not to mention the very high cost (I think the block for the 1080 costs at least 150€) and finally how to bend straight tubes (you need an open flame for it?).

9. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I thought so too same, but few months back my friend asked me to build for him custom water loop, this has been my first custom loop and I have done it without the problems and friend is very happy

If you will buy something like is EK X360 or their other DIY kits you have there everything for building basic custom loop, you need just add GPU block and extra rad if you wish

Yes they're several types of fittings, usually fittings are mostly used for soft tube is 13/10 or 16/10 and then if you will go route of the Acrylic, PETG or new Brosolicate glass then on these you need specific fittings, if you will go on some specific shops websites then you can search or filter there fittings for hard tubes(acrylic,PETG etc)

Regarding the pump power, this depends on how yours loop is restrictive and what flow are you expecting, if yours loop is restrictive then yours temps can be higher and you can end up to run fans at higher RPM, I'm running or using supplied EK DDC 3.2 PWM and seems everything is fine, flow seems is OK and temps are awesome, with 800-900RPM fans my GPU never break 40°C in rendering, with higher RPM(1100-1200RPM) my temps are on GPU are in 36°C

If you think yours loop will be restrictive then I would suggest D5 pump from Alphacool or EK with reservoir and these pumps are usually better than DDC

Restriction can cause like is some water blocks, radiators and QDC fittings, 45° or 90° fittings will not make any difference

Agree with water block for GTX1080 are expensive, but you can find them for £80-£100 as well, I paid for mine £85

How to bend straight tubes like acrylic or PETG, you need to get heat gun to bend tube plus few bits which you can find for £20,heat gun cost around £12 and if you don't want to bend these tubes you always can use 45° and 90° fittings with these, building the loop can be lot easier, just cost of fittings can be higher but at the end will looks awesome and cool pretty much great

People who water cool PC is usually down to several reasons, for me primary reason has been temps on GPU as I do render lots of per day and I like quiet PC :)

I have used soft tube G1/4 13/10 but will be redoing loop in couple of weeks and will be putting Brosolicate glass and will be using 45° and 90° fittings plus will add extra 240mm 30mm rad at front just need to find way how to fit this rad in Enthoo Primo with populated HDD cages :)

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

10. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    You can also use for the first time the predator series (like 360 or 280) complete kits + predator kit for 1080/titan pascal.

Super easy to use.

I think the old predator kit is end of life, but EK allready announced the new predator series.

Hope they dich the black ugly tubing. :D

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    My point was that I can't imagine you knew all this stuff before you started building your friends water loop :) I understood it like you meant building water loops was the easiest thing in the world and required little to no knowledge.

I'm not saying it's impossible but I dont think the total cost and time spent warrants the small benefit. I think custom water loops is a work of art meaning the aesthetic part is just as important as the functional part.

There are so many variations with different colors, components and so forth which is great since it's easy to make a build unique and personal. I really think decent loops look spectacular.

Maybe one day when I really want to give this a go and invest those 500€ needed I'll do it properly. But if I only want a chilled GPU, I'll just buy an AIO like I did with my CPU. Install and run, couldn't be simpler. No need for leakage testing overnight, changing the fluid every year, fight bubbles and stuff like that :)

12. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I wouldn't compare AIO/CLC and custom water loop,you will never have such temps like on custom loop,just due you are have only one radiator and pump is OK,but not the strongest one

Agree is super to use,but is unreliable,have look over few threads about the leakage on these units,my friend have one and he is cooling both CPU and GPU,to the date,he went via 3 units,3 units has been replaced

This black tubing is ZMT which is probably best tubing and I wanted to use same tubing,but decided against this

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

Hi there

When I build first custom loop,I've read few threads and mainly I always have read reviews and been member few forums where Water cooling is more common than AIO/CLC or air cooling

Plus if you will buy kit from EK,you will get nice manual and there is everything what you need to know and my knowledge about the water cooling has been pretty much poor,I've always run my PC on air or AIO/CLC and I know which fans I would use

Custom water loop work of art,have look,its same as with tuning the cars,some cars have nice bodykits and lack power and some have lots of power and lack of beauty,this how it is with custom water loop,did you ever seen record breaking results on these "work of art",I've never seen and this how it is,they build them for one thing,show off on CES,PAX and other shows

Functional part is up to you how you do it and what is purpose of yours build,I've build mine to have good performance in rendering and be quiet under heavy load,I hate noisy PC and due this I always will be arguing against the CLC/AIO

Beauty part of water cooling,if you are not happy,is easy to swap for another part which is better,best water blocks are EK,Alphacool have good one,but they're restrictive due this I sold my GTX1080 AMP and got FE rather as on AMP edition I couldn't get any water block,only Alphacool have one and this one is so restrictive I would need probably two pumps or one stronger D5 pump

Different colors,you can use any dye or use Pastel from Mayhem which I use,personally I hate anything what is called RGB and making something unique,I don't disagree with you,but main purpose of water cooling are temperatures and quietness of whole PC and due this when I see some builds with Corsair fans then I know guy who build it,build it for look not for performance :)

AIO/CLC is good way for some people,been there and on my first H100i V2 failed and then EVGA Hybrid failed and getting again another AIO,no way,sorry,my EVGA AIO failed and started to leak after while...

Testing overnight,no way,I've leak tested for 1 hour and fight bubbles,if you done it correctly then bubbles will disappear after 1 hour or sooner,changing the fluid,depends on what fluid are you using,I will be changing fluid when I will be doing borosilicate glass as next and putting extra radiator at front,have look my friend running same fluid(distillate water only right now 2 years)

There are lots of untrue posted about the water cooling and how hard is it and how you need to change the fluid etc

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

13. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    I'd try a different fan curve first... the default fan curve keeps the fan turned off until it gets above 60c, then it ramps up pretty quickly. I found it actually ran hotter and louder with the default fan profile.

Install MSI Afterburner and create a custom fan curve so the fan always runs. Below 30c I have mine set to run at 10%, then ramps up to 50% at 60c, finally to 100% at 85c.

14. Thelmet

Thelmet Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    word is the latest firmware update increased fan speeds due to heat issues. FTW is not known as a quiet card any longer!

15. Thelmet

Thelmet Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I think this describes my issue very well. There is no fan noise at all til i play something demanding like BF1 and then the fan ramps up so quickly as I reach 70c that it is kind of worrying. The fan also makes some weird noises as it is rapidly winding down when I turn off the game.

I live in hot weather and have always had to keep a close eye on GPU temps. I would love to just get a water block and forget about it!

16. Thelmet

Thelmet Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
  17. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Have run EVGA Hybrid on my GTX Titan X and regarding the temps,in gaming I've saw 55-60°C under heavy load in hotter weather, in colder weather usual temps has been in 45-50°C

In my case this EVGA Hybrid has failed within 6 months and went with Raijintek Morpheus which has been best air cooler on GPU which I have used with temps never breaking 50°C, usually my temps had been in 42-45°C

Are you already running water loop, if not then you will need bit more than WB there:)

With EK waterblock on GTX1080 I've never saw higher temps than 36-38°C

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

18. Thelmet

Thelmet Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Thank for reply! I am not running a water loop and I never have before. I am not into overclocking and I really just want water cooling for the GPU. does EK have some sort of all inclusive GPU only water block?

19. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

If you don't have water loop,then EVGA Hybrid will be probably easiest way how to cool GPU,but not sure if you can use that on yours SC,as these kits are usually for stock GPU with stock cooler or Founders editions

EK do have that,but you will need extra EK Predator 280 or 360 with QDC and then you will need to get EK water block,something like this

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-w...qdc-graphics-card-block-bundle-bu-007-ek.html

Not sure where are you located and this depends on prices etc

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

20. Thelmet

Thelmet Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    That EVGA Hybrid is only 107 on amazon and it definitely fits the 1080 SC. I will regret it if it dies within 6 months like yours did but it seems to get good reviews and it is way cheaper. As my first step into the world of watercooling, I think it is a good option.