The "Godfather" of fps games?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by sAAdC, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    Quake 4 was by far the biggest waste of money I've ever seen. I was expecting something epic like Quake 3, and all I got was ... What the hell was it lol. Just random crap

2. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    Lol yeah, that's been going on for YEARS now though. :p

3. Calef

Calef Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD5850
    Anyone heard of Blob? :)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.U.R.L.
    I was pretty young back then (8 years) and so this game was just perfect for me. I enjoyed it really much :)

Later then came the first "real" shooters. Though I can't really say much about wolf3d and doom because I only played them years later and that defenitly isn't the same - I found UT and Half Life very very important for the genre, those were the first ones where I personally could identify with the environment because those games allready had the graphical power to make it look realistic enough. Not to say anything bad about the old "godfathers" like wolfenstein or doom, but they definitly didn't have this graphical power ;)

And btw. for those looking for the "first shooter ever" I found something very interesting on wikipedia that came in between maze and wolfenstein:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hovertank_3D

4. vipk

vipk Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4890 1 Gb
    Wolf3D is a legend but for me it was Doom that really hooked me in the FPS genre. I watched a friend play it and I was psyched to get it:)

As much as I loved Doom I think Duke Nukem 3D was also important and also a very awsome game. It was the first to bring more realistic environments, you could look up and down with your mouse, there was some destruction in the game aswell such as bulletholes and breakable bottles and the like.

5. Dahzeal33

Dahzeal33 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 275 SLI
    haha yeah. I always wondered why people called them quake sounds too. Also, when I want to play CS...I want to play, not sit, waiting to download all of your sh*tty server's stupid sound files. :bang:

6. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    You can disable them :D

7. .Rain

.Rain Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870
    Well, since i grew up playing hours of Soldier of FORTUNE 2 with my friends, I would say that game was the godfather of FPS in my case. Good times playing via LAN, not so great singleplayer though.

8. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    SP: Unreal
    MP: UT'99

Those from a bit newer game, ofc there are Wolf3D and Doom1 which started the fps genre or made it more popular.