The Expanse

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by The Laughing Ma, Jun 29, 2018.

1. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    So who's watching it, who's read the books and what do you think about this frankly amazing show? Loving seeing the events of the book appear in live action and yeah they have tweaked the order of events some of the characters and the way some of the stuff happens vs in the books but so far it's doing things very well.

End of season 3, anyone who watched it and has read the books knows some exciting stuff is coming up and honestly can't wait to see how the show handles it, really stocked to see Amazon pick the show up as Syfy being the total morons they are opted to drop the show right as stuff starts to get exciting.

Also loved an interview they did with the guy who plays Alex Kamal in the show, when asked what he thought would change between being on network vs a streaming service his answer was 'they will finally be able to let Avasarala off the leash' lol can't wait.

Icanium likes this.
  2. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    I think we had a thread here before, cannot find it though.

Not read the books, was thinking about it when it was cancelled but i'll keep going with the TV show for now until then.

S2 is fantastic, episode 5 is some of the best tv i've seen in ages. S3 really picks it up too, I like how it's not afraid to just jump forward months, we don't need to see every minute detail that the book will cover.

Only 3 out of 8+ books have been adapted so far so hopefully amazon keep it going for a long time.

Also, I really liked Klaes Ashford in this season, he's not in the next stuff though so that's a shame (actually that might change, the books kill him)

Brasky likes this.
  3. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    Never read the books. love the show and so glad amazon picked it up. Love Amazon, ordered some red miso and it was delivered in 90 minutes lol.

4. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Yeah the show has taken a different route with the command structure of The Behemoth and opted to ditch a key character Carlos Baca 'Bull' although they have reused some of his story line with Drummer and then juggled Ashford, Drummer and Naomi's stories around to sort of fill in the gaps. The Ashford in the show is also a different person to the one in the book. While I don;t think we will see him come to the same end as the book version I suspect he will get shuffled out when The Behemoth becomes Medina. Won't be surprised to see the next series start with a two or three years later caption.

Love Amos in the show.

5. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    So yeah i happen to start wiht it about a week ago, and i have just finished season 2 :D

I totally love it, actors are great, camera work and details are great. a lot of morality comes to mind :D It becomes very addicting to see what happens next at the end of a episode.

DL-ing season 3 now :D

6. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    I felt the CGI took a hit in early S3 though, quite clearly put the budget into later episodes for good reason

7. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Yeah some of the gate transition effects looked a bit 'weird' then again it is possible they wanted avoid being compared to

of course the gate in The Expanse is vast in comparison.

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    After 1st Episode of Expanse came out, I had to go and read books. So good. But I think they canned show.

Only thing I dislike is how weak they made Bobbie in series. In books she is twice as tough and smart. And 10 times as self confident.

9. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    HawaiianBrian and Fox2232 like this.
  10. mindaz3

mindaz3 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX
    Didn't read the books, but I fell in love with this show. Finally a proper Sci-Fi show in a long time.

11. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    well i just seen episode 13 (last one of season3)

I cant believe how well this is done , it shows the proper people are creating it , how many times sci-fi movies (with way larger budget) suck , not just because of the movie, but also the details.
    everything just felt right here for me (well the medical arm) seems quite weird, but i got used to it.
    they had really great suits, armor, and i loved how the martians deploy themselves,
    I kinda wish there was more in the sphere inside the ring though, it was already cool he went in though.

gets 10/10 from met, DO WANT MORE!

12. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Ahhh but that's the mystery isn't it. No machinery, no screens, no flashy stuff going on just this great big mystery thing in the middle that also happens to be playing with the very laws of physics, in a very basic way, if it doesn't like you it will slap you down hard and then kill you, Is capable of replicating a pretty damn convincing representation of a dead guy, is monitoring activity inside the ring space as well as the rings themselves and is also capable of burning an entire solar system connected to it and seems to be some sort of central communication hub for all the systems connected to it.

13. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Damn you I have now binge watched 2 seasons not quite all at once mind you but close. Love it.

14. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    Does the book give her height and weight? IMDb list the height of the actress playing the character as 6'.

15. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Bobbie from the books always gave put me in mind of Gwendline Christie, GOT Brienne of Tarth not just in looks and size but general attitude. The TV version of Bobbie defiantly is different in quite a few respects she just seems to be a lot smaller than I imagined her but the actress is meant to be 6' even then her general attitude is leading me to wonder how a certain fight with a certain someone is going to play out on the TV version (anyone who's read the latest book knows what I am talking about.) Then again the TV show has introduced her to the crew a lot sooner than in the books so guess we shall see if she changes some.

Icanium likes this.

16. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Currently re-watching this and loving it even more. What hacks me off though is this...

IMDB - 8.4/10 rating
    Rotten Tomatoes - 90% rating
    TV.com - 9/10 rating
    Google user rating - 97% liked this show

Just to name a few and what does SyFy do ? Cancels the damn thing. I've said this before and I will say it again. SyFy Channel is a boil on the arse cheek of television. They are only capable of cancelling shows. Whoever runs the channel needs to be fired off a capital ship sized laser cannon into the sun.

Ffs everytime I switch SyFy on they got f***ing Buffy the Vampire Slayer reruns on. Wow thats some legit sci-fi you got going there bro's! No disrespect to Buffy fans, just felt like ranting a bit.

Also I really quite enjoyed Helix, didnt bother with season 2 because... yep you guessed it! SyFy cancelled the damn thing...

17. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    Would be interesting to know if Amazon has the same deal as Syfy had.

"The cancellation decision by Syfy is said to be linked to the nature of its agreement for the series, which only gives the cable network first-run linear rights in the U.S. That puts an extraordinary amount of emphasis on live, linear viewing, which is inherently challenging for sci-fi/genre series that tend to draw the lion’s share of their audiences from digital/streaming."
    https://deadline.com/2018/05/the-expanse-canceled-syfy-after-three-seasons-to-be-shopped-1202388026/

18. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
  19. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Thought I would update this topic with a little project I've been working on for the last few weeks on and off.

Ever since I saw the Roci brought to life in the TV show I've been looking out for a model of this fantastic hero ship. However unlike more popular hero ships such as those in Star Trek it seems no one actually does any decent sized, decent detail models with the only one that I could find being some rather expensive rather small, low detailed model given away in some lootbox affair.

My next alternative was looking in to using some other medium to build the ship, lego was a potential good choice but I am not what you would call a skilled builder besides the expense involved in building a decent detailed MOC of the ship.

So after a few months of searching on and off I happened upon this

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheExpanse/comments/8m56sk/rocinante_paper_model

as I said I've spent the last few weeks here and there working on the model and thought I would share the progress so far.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

a few things that have struck me with the model

First the level of detail is amazing, a side effect of this is that the model does contain quite a few very fiddly detail pieces. In my youth I was did spend a fair bit of time making various models so have a bit of skill, I certainly wouldn't class this as a model that someone who has never done this sort of thing before should attempt. As you can no doubt see the model still has some details to be added but it is far enough along that you can tell it is the Rocinante. The only issue is that the details that are left to be added are probably some of the more fiddly parts to work on and then I'll just need to tidy up some of the more untidy parts of the model.

Valken, INSTG8R, Repo Man and 3 others like this.
  20. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    saw the trailer on Netflix and thought it didn't look much better than other stuff out there, but I'll give it a try, seeing how my fellow gurus are saying its good.

*late night ninja edit

I remember now: I had tried watching this before and got about ten minutes in and stopped it. It was just not my thing, sorry.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018