Television Discussion

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by stereoman, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
  2. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Anyone watch Devs? It's by the guy who made Ex Machina.

3. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
  4. Naw but can't believe I missed this... thanks for the mention I'm going to check this out!

I've been watching Westworld season 3 lately... watching the second episode at the moment. I was wondering how the hell they'd keep the benchmark going outside the park in this season and... well you have to see it for yourselves; it's - actually pretty good'

Season 3 has a very fresh, dystopian adventure feel to it. Here's a trailer.

5. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Yes season 3 is supposed to be much more linear than the maze that was season 2. Seems pretty decent so far, but it's hard not to see Jessie Pinkman whenever he is on screen.

Also really enjoying Devs. Very weird but grounded sci-fi is my thing.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  6. LOL - fair point... some roles really do "type cast" a person

It isn't grounded but it's very weird, been re-watching the Outer limits lately too... ever seen that one? Circa 90s kinda had a Black Mirror before black Mirror ring to it and bit of a Twilight Zone feel...

7. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Yeah grounded might not be the right word, I just mean not fantastical like Star Wars and the like. Like the machine, they kind of explain how it works and while it's preposterous, it does sort of make sense logically on the surface.
    But yeah it's no A Spacetime Odyssey(did you recognize the music?).

I don't recognize Outer Limits but it does remind me of some kind of show from back then, maybe American Gothic?

8. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    Recently started curb your enthusiasm great funny show during these times.

9. Heck yeah love Larry David, he cracks me up and being from New York he reminds me of my Uncle...

10. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF

11. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    This show got a pretty strong recommendation from a popular tv podcast here. It's been kind of flying under the radar as they hadn't heard about it but they got a tip from a listener. They say it's better than Narcos.
    It's based on a book by Roberto Saviano, who also wrote Gomorrah. Just note at times it's extremely violent.

Gonna give it a spin tonight :)

12. Heard it's good!

- Been meaning to throw Bosch Season 6 into the thread...

13. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    I should give Bosch a go again. Wasn't crazy about the first season but I keep seeing it show up on people's must-see lists.

14. I wasn't as crazy about the first two seasons - after that I enjoyed the show a lot more; so it is interesting you said that!

15. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

Yeah... It's no Gomorrah, not the show, let alone the movie. People call this show gritty WTF?? Gritty should mean hard hitting, unflinching realism. Yet this is so far from realism that I am thinking Saviano wrote it to please the Mafia. Because this is NOT how its done.

Tons of cocaine do not get shipped to Europe by a blonde American teenager, who is sabotaged by his own crew. And whose only redeeming qualities are that he has Huntington's disease and likes to cry.
    Nope, not even if HE'S NOW THE HEAD OF HIS FAMILY :socrigngey

16. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

A small part of me died seeing 'The Outer Limits' relegated to 'circa 1990's'.

The1 likes this.
  17. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Gave me a little chuckle and I shake my head. I was 10 in 63 and remember being scared watching lol.

18. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    He may not have intended it that way. You have get your your chuckles where you can. There's some fascinating Youtubes of Nimoy being interviewed and his take on some of the episodes. His favorites, of course, were the ones written by top writers like Harlan Ellison 'The City on the edge of forever' episode with a young Joan Collins. [​IMG]

19. Ah you got me there! yes I'd been rewatching the remake, pardon me gentlemen https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112111/