Techland talks a bit about Ray Tracing in Dying Light 2

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Ghosty likes this.
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I wonder what kind of fps someone with RTX 2060/2070/2080 gets upon release.
    60fps does not cut it for action first person game.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  3. Lowice

Lowice Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 980ti OC
    60fps is more then enough for single player action fps.. More is better yes, but 60fps is enough.

4. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    Gygabite RTX3080
    Im sure their engine runs 10x better than DOOM Eternal so they can spend their time implementing these features because the base optimalization is just perfect...

Yes 60 fps is enough, too bad even 2080ti cant do that in Metro Exodus. But whatever, we all will have tons of cash to burn thru to upgrade our PCs so we can play games the way its ment to be.. LOL!

5. Cerb3rus

Cerb3rus Guest

GPU:
    gtx970 /4G
    Yes, today people pay alot of cash to avoid BSOD. ;)

6. Daytona675

Daytona675 Member

GPU:
    DEVIL13 7990
    How about making a good game instead of implementing a feature/gimmick that less than 5 percent of gamers have.

carnivore likes this.
  7. digitalforce

digitalforce Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980 Ti G1
    Better yet, let's drop this whole RTX/Ray Tracing Garbage for EVERY game and move on with something actually useful/noticeable. I have had a 2080 Ti since day 1 and have yet to stick with RTX settings on in any supported game because:

1 - It makes VERY little visual difference, if at all. Especially in FPS' where action is fast and you aren't looking at reflections in a puddle.
    2 - The FPS hit in 4K especially is so tremendously ridiculous, it's insane that this is still being touted in 2020. A 40-60% drop in FPS in unacceptable.

8. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    It will improve in the future. I don't think devs should stop including ray tracing, because it will help them learn how to use it going forward. Hardware grunt will catch up to developer ambitions in the next few gens.

I have a 2080 Ti as well, but I went in with the expectation that it was first gen in the pursuits of RTX. I didn't expect great frame rates when turned on, and 4K is just not a good mix with ray tracing for the current hardware power. Give it time. Doesn't help your current situation or disappointment, but if you bought it on release day thinking it was going to be the next big thing, then you fell for the marketing instead of waiting and doing benchmark research.

jbscotchman and Maddness like this.
  9. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black

You act like the first one sucked and they are banking on this to sell a game. Get over yourself.

10. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I settle for less than that with current games and my RX 480 and still have a blast. 60fps is just a number, nothing more.

11. Daytona675

Daytona675 Member

GPU:
    DEVIL13 7990
    I never the first one sucked you trailer park trash, I enjoyed the first game. I said they should focus on making the game good instead of fancy godrays that a ridiculously small population of gamers can even use. "Get over yourself" Who talks like that? Such a bird.

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Every next gen console, RDNA 2 and RTX of both this gen and next support it. Seems like a good feature to have to help push the game.

fantaskarsef, Undying and Maddness like this.
  13. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    It's truly amazing how naive people are who don't understand what raytracing is

Maddness likes this.
  14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Game is delayed over and over game again. How about you finish the game first then talk some features few percent gamers have/want.

15. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    "We are implementing it in cooperation with Nvidia" Yeah enough said...................................

16. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    And not push new technology? Personally I love seeing the evolution of video game visuals, I want games to keep getting better and better looking. I know RTX performance isn't the best right now, but it's gotta start somewhere.

Maddness, Yashiro and fantaskarsef like this.
  17. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I would wish that raytracing would be supported in both DXR and Vulkan at the dev's implementation side... but as everybody is cooking up their own brew we're again heading for a fragmented market and support environment. Just the way it's not supposed to be done...

MonstroMart likes this.
  18. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    It's enough if it is the minimum fps. If it's your average it's likely not enough anyway not in my book. If it's your average you'll likely drop to 40ish when there's lot of action and this i personally do not want.

19. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    I own a 2070 Super, the EVGA Gaming Black version.
    Got sick of the AMD driver problems when my 8gb RX 480 scrambled the desktop on December 2nd at boot.
    I do content creation (modeling, textures, assembling whole scenes, so-forth) as a hobby.
    I had to pay almost SIX HUNDRED dollars for this RTX 2070 Super. (!!!!) Yes, 572$ shipped, and only other option was 2070 (or 2070 Super) by Zotac, the mini model, which (as you may well EASILY guess) ran quite a bit hot and a tad loud - that one was 489$ shipped (not including sales tax of 10%).
    Sure I had a BLAST playing through Quake II RTX. I never finished the game in the 90's when it came out *cough* had a Cyrix processor *cough* ... and it was a hoot, definitely a good bonus having RTX, but turns out, that isn't the best reason for it.
    I certainly have a better use for spending just under 600$ than just having shinier puddles.
    Turns out it's a real hit in 3D rendering, and a real boon to texture design in Substance Designer. In Substance Designer I can get real-time previews of my texture bump mapping, reflection, etc, just like it looks in-game without a bother. That's REALLY handy and a BIG time saver when doing texture tweaking to get it 'just right'.
    Definitely needs MUCH more software support before I'd even say a EVGA 2060 KO model RTX card is worth it to the average consumer.
    I left the AMD camp for the green team, because despite my love and great performance on my Ryzen 3700x and x570 chipset, the graphics drivers were ATROCIOUS (to put it lightly), causing anything from black screens, not holding stable stock clocks (it would auto overclock and crash the application!) It was tolerable on Windows 7 (and didn't auto-overclock the core), but on Windows 10 it was absolutely unbearable and I'd lose hours worth of work each week to stupid driver bugs.
    I haven't had an issue since December when my RTX 2070 Super arrived. I'd say my biggest complaint is that I felt a bit shafted when the packaging AND the RTX card itself has clear stickers applied that say 'Super' on it, as if it was a quick knee-jerk reaction.
    Oh well - that's my only single complaint outside of price itself, it works great, I'd just love to have more support for it, hopefully not putting FPS in the trash in the process.

That said, if you're almost 40 like me, or even a bit older (or a lot!) and still want to find awesome games as good as they were in the 90's, RTX Quake II is worth every last cent of the 4.99$ USD they want for it, if you have the hardware for it (and possibly buyer's remorse). The performance is great though, I can't complain. I only have a 40" off-brand 60hz 1080p TV I bought at the cash and carry when my 19" 1280x1024 screen wasn't enough for content creation to any meaningful extent - so I can't vouch for high refresh rates, high fps beyond 60fps, or 4k this or that. The reflections and lighting on a scene though are pretty sweet. If you create content it I'd say it's more valuable than just playing games with.