SweetFX Shader Suite release and discussion thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by CeeJay.dk, Sep 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scorpio82Co

Scorpio82Co Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1070 G1 8GB
    could ask you how to make the technicolor in the game.. i had trying and ..guess what!!! nothing.. only the basic enb (btw, i fix the start problem)

2. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    It's entirely possible to clean up the ENB shader code and give it structure, neat formatting, easy to understand variable names and comment the entire things so it's clear what the code does.
    It's just a lot of work.

So when I had to choose what injector to base SweetFX around I went with the InjectSMAA injector, because it was much less messy and had better overall compatibility with games.
    The ENB injector on the other hand have more features.

You're very welcome to help out with SweetFX.

There is not that many thing I can't do myself given time, however time is something I have little of and so more minds to help is definitely appreciated as it would speed up development and bring new fresh ideas.

BTW have I said before how much I value all the help and input from the SweetFX community?
    All the ideas and feedback, the lovely presets, the GUI tools, the preset database and all the kind motivating words.
    You guys rock :rock:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  3. ochentay4

ochentay4 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 285 Dual-X OC
    Hey CeeJay I been useng SweetFX and I love it, really. Some games are difficult to set up (Syndicate) and others impossible (NFS: The Run), and when it works (Borderlands 2) I cant live without it. Thanks really.

I been fighting with "I Am Alive" with no luck, any help? Its using Unreal Engine.

4. qliphoth

qliphoth Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 1.5GB
    Have we ever said before how much we value the results of your hard work on SweetFX?

Seriously. SweetFX is dead simple to understand how to work with, works with 90% of DX9+ games, if not more, has given me no end of happiness in watching old games come back to life.... I don't care about ENB having more features, they're hard to tweak and generally contrary to each other in the worst ways. SweetFX has a bare minimum of clashing features, which I find often can be used together to moderate each other or, with the right values in the right places, even improve each other. More than that, though, you're open to suggestions, you help people with their own work on SweetFX wherever possible... Basically you're everything that certain others of similar community fame for graphics mods are not.

Thank you.

5. OrdinaryOregano

OrdinaryOregano Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    Now, I know this really doesn't have very much to do with the thread, but please bear with me :p

I made a config for Assassin's Creed III a while back and well I wasn't expecting that many people will like it. But this is like a milestone for me.

[​IMG]

Taken from download: https://lh.rs/2xwKcuG4Oky3

Thanks you for bearing with me.

We love you our miracle worker :banana:

6. qliphoth

qliphoth Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 1.5GB
    Quick question for an older DX9 game: Chaser. SweetFX loads (creates a log.log, at least) but doesn't initialize shader environment. It also shows no errors. Anyone have an idea?

The depressingly small full contents of said log.log consist of the game path. I doubt that helps.

EDIT: Okay, ****. Also, STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl. When I run it through the STALKER ENBSeries (for the blursharpshift effect.txt, maybe someday CeeJay will have multipass shader capability so I can toss ENB out an airlock) the game runs fine, but there's no SweetFX. When I run it without ENB, there is SERIOUS corruption -- just as an example, the GSC Game World logo video is intensely green, all the menu graphics are too dark (except the animated ones, also bright green) and the "Exit Game" dialog's warning symbol is bright glowing blowout red. I didn't dare enter the game like that, I imagine it'd be unplayable.

What to do, guys?

7. StixsmasterHD

StixsmasterHD Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240
    I made a new improved Dead Space 2 preset.

Hope yall all enjoy it.

Preview it here: http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/106/

P.S. I wont be posting images here anymore instead jest urls to my presets profiles on said site, due to the fact that my latest more advanced presets can be tuff to compare side by side like normal so on the site it has a more advanced improved way to compare that you may use.

8. qliphoth

qliphoth Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 1.5GB
    Okay, so while I'm waiting for word on my questions above, I've decided to try some other games -- this time, ones that need wrappers.

Silent Hill 4 PC is a no-go. It crashes on load every time, and the log.log shows a disturbing lack of errors. This crash is purely due to the ENB-based d3d8.dll wrapper, if anyone has other suggestions I'd like to hear them. (The crash report shows d3d8 caused the crash.) I assume this means Silent Hill 2 and 3 are off limits too: they all have similar requirements and engines.

Popular Half-Life mod Cry of Fear also fails to work, but not for the reasons you might expect. It's a notoriously finicky mod: it's unplayable outside of OpenGL due to a special dll for dynamic lighting lifted from the Russian mod PARANOIA, is extremely demanding, and doesn't even look physically possible in Half-Life's GoldSrc engine. Adding the Qindie wrapper suggested in the SweetFX readme -- good catch there CeeJay, by the way: my searches turned up zip until I remembered you had a suggestion -- causes a known bug in the game to trigger, namely freezing at "Parsing game data" while loading. This bug is notorious for being caused by damn near everything and anything. Such are the wages of pushing really old closed-source game engines to the limit.

But not all is lost: loading Afraid of Monsters, an older Half-Life mod by the same team, works perfectly. Oh. God. I did not even realize how ugly it was without SweetFX until I added it. It's still ugly with SweetFX, but SweetFX gives the brightly lit corridors of Markland Hospital prior to the power outage some much needed ominous atmosphere. I'm still using the Qindie wrapper for this, so I can say for sure that Qindie works very well with the Half-Life engine.

Next up I'm trying PARANOIA, the Russian mod I mentioned that uses a modified opengl32.dll -- the same file that Qindie has to replace -- to see if that works without issues. And after I check PARANOIA, I'm off to try Quake 1 source port DarkPlaces for the hell of it. (DarkPlaces includes many of the same exact settings right in the engine, including lift/gamma/gain, curves, sharpening, and true HDR. Adding SweetFX is kind of like hitting yourself with a hammer after getting slammed by a truck. But, well, SCIENCE!)

There will be screenshots, including, possibly, a teaser of my incomplete Pathologic and The Void presets -- which are both waiting on expanded color grading options. (I see no point adding presets for games other people have already done to death, especially since I enjoy heavy atmosphere and unrealistic colors for maximum atmospheric density and most people I've seen using SweetFX think such things are silly.) If I stumble on something truly inspired, I may even upload some presets to the database before I finish Pathologic and The Void!

9. StixsmasterHD

StixsmasterHD Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240
    Dude like everything you jest listed is related to opengl software.

Sweetfx is related to DirectX software. Completely different so of course the 2 will not be compatible.

P.S. I finely figured out how to get Sweetfx to work with L4D2...had to disable ingame AA. But I am now currently making a badass preset for it.

10. qliphoth

qliphoth Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 1.5GB
    Wrong and wrong. Silent Hill 4 is DirectX 8. Not everything is OpenGL.

And also: Wrappers. Half-Life 1 and most mods for it run SweetFX in OpenGL mode using the QindieGL wrapper. Pics included. I suggest you read the readme -- wrappers are suggested for games otherwise incompatible.

For the record: PARANOIA's modified opengl32.dll is actually using nifty hacks, not actual OGL calls, so the wrapper doesn't work for those effects. SweetFX does actually work for the game in question though -- but I find bumpmapping and dynamic lights more important.

Afraid of Monsters OGL Mode w/ Sweet FX splitscreen mini-gallery
    http://imageshack.us/g/402/screenshot1052.png/

11. StixsmasterHD

StixsmasterHD Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240
  12. Gembel

Gembel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU 2
    I really expect SSAO feature in next version :)

13. StixsmasterHD

StixsmasterHD Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240
    But keep the performance efficiency the same as it is in v1.3

That is what makes this so much better than enbseries for me. Is that it can practically do all that which it can do sept with practically 0 performance impact.

14. Marcel

Marcel Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    disable in game v_sync and Turn ON v_sync over drivers.

sexus

in some dx11 games sgssaa works but must be MSAA settings in_game and after turn ON sgssaa in Nvidia Inspector... without flags. Only set sgssaa, but in DX HR not work because in game is not MSAA settings. I use in game FXAA with downsampling under DX11 in DX HR.

15. sexus

sexus Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GF GTX 680 sli
    i see well thanks for clearing that up i might aswell go and play dx hr in dx9 then since it is so much better with 8x sgssaa compared to without and not to mention this prefix

http://enbdev.com/enbseries/forum/v...4&sid=313af33dbb9a980042926adc58fe7604#p17724

an interesting question i have , do you guys generally use downsampling plus 4 or 8x sgssaa or not since ive heard downsampling is only required where sgssaa isnt possible and only ingame aa if any is selectable , plus hud items etc become very small , is this true :3eyes:

16. Marcel

Marcel Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    try my SweetFx settings for RE5. maybe you like it maybe not :)

http://forum.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4470290&postcount=1952

17. jim2point0

jim2point0 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2080TI
    Don't know why you would when he already said he can't do it.

You heard wrong. Downsampling has benefits beyond just getting AA in games that don't have it. I typically downsample + SGSSAA if I can. But only really if you can handle it with your hardware.

There isnt a single game I play @ 1080p anymore. I just can't... even in games where my HUD is smaller (I actually like that in Planetside 2).

18. Boulotaur2024

Boulotaur2024 Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD7950
    I might be getting close to the result I want, by appling s-curves (in this example Curve 2) not only to luma but to all 3 rgb channel separately instead :

Original :

[​IMG]

SweetFX Curve 2 (Curve_Contrast = 1.0) :

[​IMG]

SweetFX Curve 2 applied to all 3 RGB channels separately :

[​IMG]

Technicolor CineStyle profile applied in GIMP/Photoshop :

[​IMG]

Here is the code I used in MPC-HC to get the SweetFX Curve 2 applied to all 3 RGB channels separately pic above (paste this into MPC Shader editor) :

Code:
    sampler s0 : register(s0);
    float4 p0 :  register(c0);
    float4 p1 :  register(c1);

#define width   (p0[0])
    #define height  (p0[1])
    #define counter (p0[2])
    #define clock   (p0[3])
    #define one_over_width  (p1[0])
    #define one_over_height (p1[1])
    #define PI acos(-1)

#define Curves_contrast 1.0
    #define Curves_formula 2

float4 main(float2 tex : TEXCOORD0) : COLOR {
      float4 c0 = tex2D(s0, tex);

float3 color = c0.rgb; //original input color
      float3 lumCoeff = float3(0.2126, 0.7154, 0.0721);  //Values to calculate luma with
      float Curves_contrast_blend = Curves_contrast;

float redChannel = color.r;
      float greenChannel = color.g;
      float blueChannel = color.b;

// -- Curve 2 --
      #if Curves_formula == 2
        // Applies Curve to all 3 individual channels
        redChannel = ( (redChannel - 0.5) / (0.5 + abs(redChannel-0.5)) ) + 0.5; // 717 amd fps
        greenChannel = ( (greenChannel - 0.5) / (0.5 + abs(greenChannel-0.5)) ) + 0.5; // 717 amd fps
        blueChannel = ( (blueChannel - 0.5) / (0.5 + abs(blueChannel-0.5)) ) + 0.5; // 717 amd fps	
      #endif

// Blends the original color with the new processed colors
      float3 newColor = lerp(color, float3(redChannel, greenChannel, blueChannel), Curves_contrast_blend);

//Blend by Curves_contrast
      c0.rgb = lerp(c0.rgb, newColor, Curves_contrast_blend);

return c0;
    }
    (Hope the code is correct)

Now if only I could get the CineStyle curve to fit the 0..1 HLSL color range so we can apply it in realtime with SweetFX...
    But like I said my math skills are awfully bad, I wish someone could help me with this someday (see here and here to get the full story)

Narcel, not bad indeed, -I like your work in general by the way- you managed to remove some of the yellowish tone, it's still a bit "greenish" in the first pic imo... That's the problem with the filter they designed for this game, it's hard to build anything on top of that even with Sweetfx, it's like cooking with poor quality ingredients, you can hardly make a great meal out of them :)

19. Gembel

Gembel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU 2
    Should i read the whole 100 pages? :bang:

20. Gembel

Gembel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU 2
    The second pic looks great Boulotaur2024 :banana:

Thread Status: