Stranger of Paradise

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 14, 2021.

1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  2. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    So, this game is hilarious in dialogue and graphics, cutscenes are sometimes a video and other in-game, the videos are so low res they look outdated like an early ps3 game then the in-game scene starts and it looks 100 times cleaner

the aliasing is baaaad, even worse than Nioh 1

3. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    By the looks of it, it's like early Nioh 1 splinter (which by itself has still PS3 roots). I can't really imagine any other reason why it looks like it does but mechanically, just like nioh all i've heard is praise.
    Although it's pretty clear TN can't write to save their lives - story telling in Nioh 1 was barebones at best and even more chaotic in Nioh 2. This one takes the cake by a longshot.

Amusingly one of tracks i've heardin one of lets plays is a remix of a track from Final Fantasy 13 which may or may not imply on some roots of how and when the game was conceived.

4. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

5. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    the music got me nostalgia tripping, so many familiar stuff that i can't remember where i heard them

6. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    I'm incredibly amazed at how BADLY this game runs.
    The game uses same engine as Nioh games and whilst they were also relatively poorly optimized, Nioh 2 in 120 fps mode ran "relatively" close to said 120 fps on my rig.
    SOP runs literally at less than a half of that framerate, intro sequence runs at ~40'ish fps and literal empty field of tutorial struggles to even lock 60 (actually it never does).

Business as usual in island country of japan i see.

cerebus23 likes this.
  7. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  8. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    There's no way to lock 120 fps on RTX 2070 at 1440p regardless of settings. Actually dropping everything to low/off results in about 80-90 FPS in a small empty room. To get to 120 fps, not only would i have to turn everything off but also drop the resolution to ~60-70%.
    I'm amazed at how japan consistently sh*s on PC ports for over 10 years and how majority of that has belonged under square banner.

This also explains why PC had no demo - the company was fully aware at how atrocious this port is, and yet they had the audacity to milk people with early access to this borderline unplayable version as a preorder incentive.

This is above and beyond, new low - even for square.

9. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    the good thing is that Team Ninja patches their PC ports and fix them like what they did with Nioh, if it was up to SE boy we're not getting anything anytime soon

hopefully day1 patch come out after an hour if it wasn't out already for early access players

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    The pc Ports of Nioh game had issue consoles did not have like stutter and place the console verison didnt have, along with crashing issues i expect much the same pc port of this. my problem with game is how bad it looks compared to nioh and nioh 2 special compared to ps5 verisons of the game.

as for story ahhh yah i dont know what say about it dont look like final fatasy game, sure dont play like one not that there been final fatasy game made in last decade + that actual played like one. and Voice acting agh. i could even stomach to finish the demos (both) and the combat I think same of as i did sekiro which say i didnt like it.

I am convinced this was never "ment" to be final fantasy game and SQE was talking to to let them use the name certain references from orginal game

SE patching hahah it took them almost 2 to patch FF7R on ps4 which didnt actual fix anything other then add the function ps4 to import save to ps5 version? and some infuriating problems on ps4 verison appeared on ps5 verison. Like how long it take models to pop up on beastary info. frankly nioh game suffer from same thing even on ps5 make no sense consider the nvme drive ps5 uses. even then normal SSD loading model up in such instance should not take 2-4 seconds for just character model

I might try demo again at somepoint, but it unluckly FF game have been moving farther and farther away from what they are, to grab new fans why while leaving original fan who love how the game played ask the question why

GSDragoon likes this.

11. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    Here's one of most hilarious insights into why the game runs like it does:
    https://twitter.com/DeathChaos25/status/1505243871009247234

There essentially must've been no competent art lead or tech director on the project to not notice that artists are importing sculpted meshes right from Zbrush and trying to use them as final assets ingame. One, two or hell - even 10 assets over entire game library would've been an accident, but doing this consistently screams of unsupervised interns or extreme incompetence.

cerebus23 likes this.
  12. Archvile82

Archvile82 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX 4090 OC
    With all these tech issues in recent games this is likely the after effect of covid had on software development = a lot of f*** ups from working from home.

13. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    Finished the game - about 20 hours for first run on Action difficulty.
    Feels like streamlined Nioh, way more forgiving and takes less from soulslike formula than Nioh did. More of an action game with checkpoints and some progression that you don't ever lose.

Story actually is pretty good, the memes mostly come from first 40% which at face value is dumb as a bag of bricks but later on the game redeems itself and shows that it has been deliberately playing dumb.
    Shame it runs like utter ass and knowing Squares track record with PC ports, that'll likely not improve, i played 90% of the game in windowed mode, all low and at 1080 instead of 1440 while targetting 60 fps and it still failed to lock that value in many places , including worst of all - final bossfight.

Overall i'd give it a 5/10 i guess - 7 out of 10 if it ever gets properly fixed and price is reduced or someone can get it on sale. As genuinely fun as it is along with its story being surprisingly decent, it's not worth 60 bucks.

14. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Well, 5/10 issnt any good for a FF game i'd say. I played the game for a few minutes but several things annoyed me right at the beginning, especially when you have played Intergrade (where are also things i dont like) a few days earlier.
    I dont know if i have enough energy to play Origin. But i like Nioh a lot tho. Maybe i should give Origin another try?

15. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    On game terms it's pretty great. In technical aspects it goes from average at best to absolutely horrid, depending on what are you looking at.
    It's not something i would recommend buying if someone didn't do so already but if you already have it and enjoyed Nioh then besides the god awful performance which may or may not ever get fixed (since it's Square PC port), there's no other reason to NOT give it a good shot.

16. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    It seems that as of today, the game vanished from EGS without any notice in advance and is now absolutely unobtainable on PC.
    Curious whether it was some sort of Epics intervention due to horrendous port quality or something else. Can't imagine what would it be in such case knowing Square is pretty okay with shitty PC ports.

17. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    First DLC seems to be out a day early, at least in europe.
    Content wise it seems like a decent package however technically it seems literally zero effort was put to further optimize the game. Instead of DLSS the game received FSR 1.0 likely due to developers realizing inbetween promising DLSS following Nioh 2 implementation that their project is based on Nioh 1 engine branch that does not even utilize TAA to hook DLSS/FSR 2.0 onto.

Really sad how little technical care this project received.

18. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It's an outdated ps3 graphics game beefed up to PS4 level of graphics, no wonder