Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Yep, I agree. I want the same. Unfortunately, The Fallen Order doesn't seem to be that kind of KOTOR good SW game. KOTOR also had no platforming, sliding or whatever... The whole game seems to follow this Disney's new Star Wars for kids era.

Honestly I want to be completely wrong here. I really want this game to be that good story-driven SW game. But from what I saw so far, I'm very, very skeptical.

jbscotchman likes this.
  2. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I hear what you're saying, but George Lucas did create Star Wars for kids originally. Guys like me in their 40's or older love the nostalgia, but you have to realize the franchise has evolved over time.

3. It's give and take far as dismemberment - KOTOR was being released along the same time as the Jedi Outcast/Academy games which did have full dismemberment modes yet it wasn't a negative for KOTOR.

I recall I spent many hours gleefully holding stormtroopers against my lightsabers mutilating them over valleys and canyons n such... ahhh... where have the good times gone' :cool:

4. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    Yeah but when KOTOR came out words weren't violent hate crimes like they are now. We can't have any limbs flying off, heaven forbid it might inspire someone.

5. Goodness no, after all a long time ago in a decade far far away serial killers like Ted Bundy must have really struggled for inspiration in a world without violent video games. Ah ... it was the Devil's Rock n Roll and Playboy!

jbscotchman and cerebus23 like this.
  6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    If someone could make a third person action adventure RPG in the style of this amazing trailer I would be pretty happy.

Also, if I could get a remake of this that would be nice.

Or... hey.. just more Star Wars games in general, since Disney have taken over there have been hardly any actual star wars video games.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  7. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Well, Jedi Knight Outcast and Academy did come from a studio that made one of it's main focuses... dismemberment. ;)

8. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    I can't say that chopping off limbs is such a fundamental part of SW that I absolutely require it in a game. Similarly, I don't think a lightsaber should cut people in half on a single strike. After all, we all play shooters where both you and enemies take several hits to go down. Although I would definitely prefer was an option to cut off limbs and I agree that it's just a Disney focus on kids. Maybe they could have made a "blood and gore DLC" that would be free and add the dismemberment. This way they could keep the same kid friendly rating.

9. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I'm pretty sure you had to use a cheat code to enable dismemberment. Without it, dismemberment was limited to hands only if I recall.

10. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Every time I see those videos, it makes me realize how "wasted" the potential of the Star Wars franchise has become; and this is even before Disney took over.

One of the greatest reasons why Game of Thrones is so popular is because the characters and the fantasy World itself are written in a very realistic manner. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for Star Wars. But that's not to say I think Game of Thrones and Star Wars are even remotely similar and that the latter could benefit from being more like the former. It's just that Star Wars has been crippled more or less by its "forced" appeal to children.

11. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Funny thing about that, "apparently" the directors of Game of Thrones, David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are creating the next trilogy in the Star Wars series.

12. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I was really referring to the books and not the HBO series. As someone that's read the entire Game of Thrones series, the HBO version was at the very least entertaining, but that's about all I could say.

13. God I hope they work on their ending first considering how long they rode on Martin's coattail's for the last series they worked on...

cerebus23 likes this.
  14. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X

I hear you, and i think we could be friend, but my copy of Jedi Knight 2 : Jedi Outcast , (sitting 15cm near my current mousepad i might add) disagrees.

On topic, think it's all been blown out of proportion, there's never been any dismemberment in Star Wars why should there be dismemberment in Star Wars games?...

15. lol there doesn't need to be ... I / we ... I don't even know where this got / went. I think I just brought up that cheat code mode as an example in a post where I was also being facetious.

More to the point - I was talking about darker elements to the old trilogy. Not R-rated or anything extreme just how, to an extent Disney has a tendency to really constrain properties to their brand-elements (at times) even if in their origin those properties did not start that way. Star Wars 1979 onward wasn't "codified" for lack of a term I find to articulate this as opposed to what Disney tends to do.

then dismemberment snuck in... I'd have to backtrack to find out where...

XenthorX likes this.

16. There is dismemberment in original StarWars movies made by Lucas. And ppl want it in games because it makes sense and feels more realistic.

XenthorX likes this.
  17. Hmm well...
    • cantina scene of original SW 1979
    • luke's hand,
    • anakin's
    • Kenobi against darth maul
    • jango fett (mace windu)
    • doesn't a sand person get dismembered at one point?
    • count dooku
    • General Grievous
    • Return of the Jedi scene above the sand pitt coulda sworn luke saber chopped a blaster off someone's hand and their hand with it
    • umm what else aaaa..... shiiiattt.... ummm .... well crap a bunch of the droids in the Phantom Menace!

18. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    The problem with dismemberment is that the film's adhere to the rules that lighsabers can cut almost anything and that being hit with one is an instant loss of limb/life.

For a game to adhere to that rule now you'd have to design the game around lighsabers being a one hit weapon.

If you could dismember troops with one sweeping slash, then why not this bigger enemy, why not creatures and bosses etc.
    The same would go for the player character, being hit with a single slash should be instant game over.

But then if lighsabers act how they should " realistically " should the player die from one single blaster hit or would a vibro blade kill instantly.

The dismemberment may fit the lore but it makes for poor gameplay.

Backstabak and XenthorX like this.
  19. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    If Respawn Entertainment sneaked complete dismemberment through a cheatcode ( like Jedi Outcast did) that would be great! The ESRB and ESA aren't doing their jobs anyways nowadays (e.g. Gambling and lootboxes). As long as the 2 minute powerpoint video they receive to rate the game doesn't have complete dismemberment, we're good. Someone let Respawn know before release.

XenthorX and cerebus23 like this.