Star Citizen will be free to play November 23-30

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 16, 2018.

1. CDJay

CDJay Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 FE SLI
    Using this logic, Deadpool started filming in or before 2012 because there was a pitch video for Comicon that year

Prototyping some assets for a demo to BEGIN crowdfunding doesn't count as actual game development. Well, certainly not in this instance. As others have no doubt said, the initial team was tiny and their location changed to a "proper" office in Austin Q2 2013. Foundry 42 was announced later that year, and moved into new office in 2014. The Frankfurt office opened in 2015. During this entire period tools were being built, assets (largely for what we've see in the Hangar, Arena Commander, PU but also SQ42 which remains behind the curtain) created and underlying tech developed. Staffing has grown from 12 to ~ 500 in the past 5 years.

Why does this matter? Comparing development times to other AAA studios which (again as others have said ) started out with a full team and existing engine/assets/tech is disingenuous. Yes, the scope changed. Yes, directly as a result of increased funding and backer support.

There have been obvious missteps (the outsourced Star Marine stuff being a genuine debacle and waste of time) but it's only obvious because we SAW it. Such things happen behind closed doors at studios and publishers *ALL* the time.

How it actually pans out is entirely up for debate, but SQ42 could be in the nearish (I'd say a year or so) future and the PU will be a vastly different affair in terms of polish and scope within the same timeframe. I'd say you'd have to be a very Jaded gamer indeed not to be at all impressed if you loaded Star Citizen for the first time right now. It's clearly alpha, but the potential is VERY evident.

I've got a package and some ships, and I'll jump in once 3.3.5 hits the PU and play around a bit. I, like others, won't spend too long on it as so many systems will change not to mention that it will only get better. I don't see the problem tbh :/

2. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    What kind of practices?

3. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I will wait for the final release to see if is worth it. I'm not testing Alpha nor Beta games anymore as it is my choice. I hope it will be release some day complete as i like how the game looks.

Loobyluggs likes this.
  4. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Sadly, one of the few level-headed comments on the internet.

chispy likes this.

5. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Well, unless you were stuttering, 50-35 fps is not that bad--certainly not "horrible"--but of course 90-70 fps is indeed much better...!

I'm still thoroughly confused about what this "game" is supposed to be...! Right now, after years of development and the expenditure of many tens of millions of dollars, I have no idea *what* this game is supposed to be. Is it a simulator? A first-person shooter--a multiplayer game--or a single-player game with some kind of story arc? All of these things, or none? The only thing I know about the game thus far is that it is perpetually in Alpha status--after several *years* of development--which is more time of course than most *huge* games (Witcher 3, for instance) take to go from inception to shipping release! I'm not complaining, really--I just have no idea what this game is now supposed to be. Does anyone know? I've looked at the product flow development chart--all the way up through the projected shipping date--and I still have no idea what the game is supposed to be! I think it would behoove Roberts to get the basic engine up and running in a post-beta state and ship it--and *then* start adding in these extra ships and planets, etc., as the continuing interest in the released game makes such things possible! It seems they are trying to do everything imaginable, plus the kitchen sink, *before* the game ships. Seems sort of bass ackwards, to me, as it presents an image of something that will never leave alpha and may never actually "ship" as a cohesive product after all. I would hope this is not the case!

Do you feel you have a firm handle on what this game actually is? So far, the company has done an extremely poor job of actually explaining the game. What I would most like to see is a single-player, deep-space exploration game with some kind of story-arc to follow--some kind of mystery to unravel, etc. For instance, the detection of a beacon, perhaps a warning beacon,from deep space, that involves a deep story of exploration, danger, and all sorts of things I can think of. But I'm pretty sure the game is *not* going to follow that path, or is it?....;) Any comments are appreciated.

INSTG8R likes this.
  6. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
  7. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

How about you provide that list of "past failures"? It is up to you to back your claims...what can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. Alternatively, you could explain why a game, in which you have zero interest, generates such strong emotions in you. I will blame you for not trying.

yasamoka likes this.
  8. Who cares Hemi? Quite frankly everyone in this thread has high emotions rofl ... at this point it's such a clusterf*** does it really matter

- My comment: hey if it's a free trial *shrugs* why not - time I see what the fuss is about personal opinions aside.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    He'll get back to you when Derek smart lets him know.

10. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    Nope, you are incorrect. I'd love for this game to be a thing, but so far all they've done is proven to be scammers and money grabbers. You're hating on valid criticism because you invested in the game and it's still not out. I'd be salty too.

BangTail likes this.

11. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    Google. Not hard to find info on what I'm talking about. Cash grabbing. Changing their TOS screwing over a ton of people. I don't have an issue with the premise of the game, but the company and it's dodgy dealings

GTFO of here kid. You're devoid of any logic and clearly have blinkers on. I'm sorry for you, that you feel so salty about putting money into a vapor ware game, but the fact remains that they have charged thousands of dollars for what most games would give you free with the price of the game, have also changed their TOS a while back which many customers were very unhappy about. This was done in an attempt to make sure funds weren't pulled/refunded by existing customers, despite the game not being on track.

You are very uninformed and a fanboy. Go back to roblox kid.

BangTail likes this.
  12. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    On average it's still less than $100 funding per capita after six years of inventing things to help fund the game with. So ultimately, they'll probably end up having funded it for less than $10 per annum per backer :p

13. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Even the most jaded anti SC individual can see that the project is not a scam. The content they have released so far has taken too much time and effort for it to be a simple grab your cash and run scam but it doesn't mean that their aren't some serious issues and mis-managements with the way the project is being run.

- They reached the goal they said they needed a long time ago and as far as I am aware they haven't added any more stretch goals so by all means continue to charge for new players to gain access to the game but the stupid prices for all the add on DLC should have been pulled when the original goal was met.
    -Talking of DLC they have an amount at a price that would give some EA execs wet dreams and may even rival the total real world cost of games such as GTAO and that Train sim game with like 300 pieces of DLC
    - Still on that DLC, as I said anyone that thinks the amount of content combined with the real world cost attached to it isn't going to have some form of negative effect on the game play loop and in game market is simply kidding themselves
    - Being dicks with their EULA and returns policy.
    - Which all leads too. The whole idea behind CSI originally was this was some for the gamers game maker. A company created by a gamer to make a game that gamers wanted and the second the cash started flowing in they turned in to a full on triple A game creator sh*tty business practices and over priced DLC included

Not scam artists but just another triple A game maker, just with no previous game release history and only one game which may or may never get released, and with all the fun practices and issues that comes along with being yet another triple A game maker...

...and in many ways that's actually worse!

14. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    fixed

15. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Well I installed it again. Maybe the hanger hasn’t gotten any attention but it was an absolute slideshow even turning it down to Medium. I spawned my ship and even getting into it was a chore with the abysmal performance.
    All I want and all I bought into this game is for SQ42. They can bugger around with the rest of the game for a decade for all I care after I get SQ42.

16. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    I don't see this effort as a scam, necessarily. Roberts knows full well he'd be neck deep in lawsuits for the rest of his life if he fails to deliver something, eventually. He's also got to know that whatever he delivers he is going to get sued for it--by someone. Doesn't mean he will lose, of course, but getting sued is no picnic even if you win. Hard to understand, though, what adding ships and planets and other *objects* to the game has to do with the game engine itself still apparently being in alpha. The engine itself should be done already--long, long out of alpha status. Frankly, it should be out of beta and ready to go. There seems to be no separation between the engine and the state of the objects Roberts wants to fill the game with--and that is something else that has me scratching my head. But aside from all of this, I have no objection to people spending their money the way they want to spend it--marketing is often highly misleading, whether it's for automobiles or GPUs or what have you, and people have to learn about that aspect of our Caveat Emptor society at their own pace (it's the price we pay for a competitive marketplace crammed full of products and choice)--some learn more quickly than others, but everyone has to learn this through experience, unfortunately. I have certainly learned some very expensive lessons, myself. At any rate, the sooner Roberts gets the engine--or engines, if indeed there are two separate games here--finished, the better.

17. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Read this - was literally the first thing on my web search. Don't just read the article, read all of the citations - it's well researched.

Then, perhaps we can talk turkey to the rooster.

If it's tldr, then let me summarisificationate my point: He blames other people a lot.

I also love the Dilbert cartoon in the article:

[​IMG]

18. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    His practices are Wing Commander and Freelancer. Best space games series. And to make modern one it needs far more than $200 mln, so they have to deal with financial trolls.

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ps

what's the difference between star citizen and that squadron 42?

I thought it's one and the same thing..

20. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Squadron 42 is “story mode” it’s been planned since the beginning but the crazy feature creep has pushed it back many times now.

-Tj- likes this.