Sony To offer Xperia smartphones with larger screens

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Over at the Mobile World Congress, Sony mader an announcement or two as well. They announced the XZ2 and XZ2 Compact. The phones offer a larger screen and thinner edges compared to their previous mode...

Sony To offer Xperia smartphones with larger screens

2. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    If i remember correctly, the xperia z3 from like 4 years ago actually recorded in 4k. though not HDR and after 5 to ten minutes,, the phone would overheat and the feature would get disabled.

3. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    It looks absolutely terrible. They completely ruined Sony's design for the whole world just for one country with it's dumb patent laws, USA. Looks like a crappy mid range phone now. Sticking to my z5 premium until this gets sorted out. Just look at that ugly curved back and weird fingerprint sensor placement. My z5 premium has the fingerprint sensor on the side power button where it belongs. Because of some patent preventing them from putting it there in the US, they are switching it to the back thinking that will improve sales in the US. Americans only care about Samsung and iPhone so good luck with that Sony.

You are correct. I still have my old z3. I don't think it even lasted 5 minutes sometimes. That has since been improved with the z5 and z5 premium and continued to improve on the xz series. Not only does the z5 premium have the ability to record 4k, it also has the worlds first 4k compatible smartphone screen. That's right, all photos and videos taken can be actually viewed in 4k on your phone. And this phone came out over 2 years ago. Sony has always been a step ahead hardware wise but for some reason never seems to catch on as much as it should.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  4. Pawel04

Pawel04 Active Member

GPU:
    HD 7950/3GB
    I actually dont mind the desing but atm i wouldnt buy one simply because it doesnt have a 3.5mm input, maybe ill accustom to bluetooth earphones in the future..

5. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Yeah, but you can just get a USB-C to Jack converter and slip that on the end of your earphones. Should be NP? I am looking forward to seeing reviews. My Z5 Compact is broken - due to a fall - and I've been considering a XZ1 compact... but why get a last-year's model?

6. sarsar

sarsar Guest

@Hilbert Hagedoorn: a Snapdragon 850 processor ? You mean a 845...

@tensai28: my first Smartphone was a Z1 and i loved it, i moved to S7 two years ago and i hoped Sony will release something awesome but i don't like this design with the sensor on the back. I skipped the S8 and i will skip the S9 because of that.

7. Hughesy

Hughesy Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr 980
    My Sony Z5 is still faster than I need it to be, so I’m not sure if I’m going to upgrade in a few months. I’m more than likely going to go for a sim only deal. It depends on if my battery degrades a lot, as smartphone batteries don’t hold charge very well as they get older, that’s only going to get worse with fast charging.

8. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Right now the most high tech and impressive phone from Sony is the xz premium. It's capable of watching Netflix 4k hdr and YouTube 4k and has a very impressive camera.

9. Pawel04

Pawel04 Active Member

GPU:
    HD 7950/3GB
    Yer i do see your point but i dnno i just like for things to work out the box without dongles etc. I've criticized Apple so much for it id feel wrong doing it myself. :p

10. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Hughesyy
    Keep the charge between 60-80 %(90 max), and you will get the most out of li based batteries.
    You rather wanna put cycles on them (charge 2-3 times a day if needed), than 0-100 % every day (or two).

11. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yeah, I don't get why the Sony phones aren't more popular, the hardware is very reliable, the Sony software is great compared to Samsung and Sony actually updates frequently. I currently own the Xperia X performance and love this phone. The curved edges feel really good in my hands, i'm not sure why Sony would curve the back of xz2 though, that's kind of weird. The X actually has a the fingerprint sensor on the side too.

I'm not sure why anyone would care about having a 4k display on a tiny phone screen, most these peasants are using a 1080p monitor but want a 4k screen on a freaking phone, it's ridiculous... that'll be the last thing i'll consider when getting a new phone. (i have an oculus rift)

Embra likes this.
  12. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    It's silly. If you stare at it really close, you can barely tell the difference. It's harder on the battery and utterly useless for most content.

It's the same with TVs. Across the room, you can't tell much difference between 4K content or the same displayed in 1080p. You either need to be close or have a massive TV.

But fear not, 8K phone screens are surely coming. :p

13. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    They changed it because of some stupid US patent preventing them from putting the fingerprint sensor on the side. We've always had it on the side outside of the US but now since they want to try to sell more in the states, they ruin it for everyone.
    I'm quite liking my 4k screen on my z5 premium and I am not a peasant with a 1080p monitor either, I game in 4k. Not sure what you are talking about. Also not sure what vr has to do with this but I have a vive.o_O

14. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    i didn't say that you're a peasant, i was speaking in general and was just joking. I mentioned the oculus because VR would be the only sensible reason why 4k on a 5.x inch display would make any sense.

15. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    My mistake. Still don't agree on the 4k thing. I can definitely see a difference viewing stuff in 4k even on this small screen.