So a few weeks ago I got me shiny new monitor but been having HDR issues in win 10....today I solved

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by mtrai, Dec 8, 2019.

1. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    So I got me an early Christmas gift.

Disclaimer: This is not just AMD actually but could apply to Nvidia as well as Intel.

I bought me a Samsung CRG90 the 49 inch beast. The 5120 x 1440 Freesync 2 HDR 1000 nit peak.

Anyhow with win 10 with HDR enabled games would be dimmed, washed out or insanely bright. And menus would be so dark you could not see them.

I earnestly started trying to work on these issues yesterday but I bit ago I had a eureka moment and decided to check a a few things.

Using CRU I looked up the colorimetry and metadata for my CRG9 shocked at what I found. My expensive Samsung 1150 USD monitor did not have any HDR metadata associated it with it. Well hell I can fix that with CRU though I am pretty pissed as should not have to fix such an issue with this expensive of a monitor.

So I tried MD0 which worked, then I tried MD1 which worked even better for me.

Now this is only part of the fixes that were needed. Some games require HDR to be toggled off in win 10 to work correctly for example Assassin's Creed Odyssey while Far Cry 5 requires HDR toggled enabled in win 10 to work correctly. So we kind of need a list of HDR games and if they require the toggle on or off in windows.

Lastly we need to adjust the SDR content appearance slider under windows HD color settings in display

All this fixed everything up for HDR and now I can even see youtube giving me HDR options as a display option as well.

While I should not of had to add the metadata type for this monitor, it did fix me right up and now everything looks great.

Jackalito and OnnA like this.
  2. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Nice one, thanks for sharing :p

mtrai likes this.
  3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  4. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Ma be you can ask mods to move the thread there.

6. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    Can do that too as this is not really am AMD issue but I believe a Win 10 issue in how it handles HDR plus some manufactuers errors. Believe me when I say AMD tested this thoroughly but could not reproduce and we started narrowing it down to certain panels. Then I slept on and started to slowly figure out what was going wrong.

7. zonanfrea

zonanfrea New Member

GPU:
    Rx580 Gaming X
    Hi mtrai, I have a problem with my HDR on my Samsung CRG9 Monitor When I turn on HDR the picture gets generally darker. Colors do not shine, the picture looks washed out. Black is not very black and white is not very white. It's like putting 0n sunglasses. Firmware of the Monitor is the latest one-1007.02. I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64bit MSI RX580 Gaming X Graphic Card on Desktop. When I switch to SDR everything is much better. Also when I set the HDR on the PS4 Pro after HDR adjustment I can see just for second the real colors of HDR in the PS4 menu..very rich colors, flowing blue to purple..and then goes as before..flat simple colors. I think I have tried almost everything and actually my last hope of working HDR was my PS4... Can you help me...?
    Or I have to send back the monitor for refund...?