Sluggish Games on Radeon 9600xt

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Hiro1000, May 13, 2004.

?

Are you having trouble with a radeon 9600xt?

1. YES

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    34.8%
  3. Im a lucky bastardo and have a x800 or any other higher video card than a 9600.

12 vote(s)
    52.2%
  1. Hiro1000

Hiro1000 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    My games are running really slow, with either all settings in game/and in the ati control panel on "low". My fps is about 10. On "high" its about 5. It even is sluggish, when playing old games like, medal of honor, and runs really slow on bf 1942. Ati could not help me, was wondering if this fine board could?

2. Shadowsoldier

Shadowsoldier Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 ti
    hmmm. did u defragg? check for virususes, uninstall old drivers from prevoius card. check for spyware?

3. David

David Guest

did you install your motherboard drivers?

btw im a lucky bastardo. :D

4. brewskee78

brewskee78 Member Guru

GPU:
    Msi 7600GT 256MB w/ ViVo
    if all that doesnt work you prob need to consider a new cpu....

5. NAJMI ADNAN

NAJMI ADNAN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X TriX 4GB
    Yeah,upgrade.9600XT needs at least P4 1.8GHz to show its full potential.

6. Hiro1000

Hiro1000 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    I checked my mobo and it can support upto a althon xp 2200. And i found one on the internet for $67 retail so im considering. maybe i can find better deal.

7. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    sounds like a good deal, although really you would benifit from a more powerful CPU than that. Something around the 2500+ area. They are pretty cheap these days (£50-60) although i understand it means buying a new mobo. U could probably get one of those for about £60ish.
    However, if u dont have the cash for a motherboard, then it looks like the 2200+ is your best choice.

8. xankazo

xankazo Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    That's not the real performance of a 9600xt. Your CPU is stealing your joy man. Good thing about cosidering an upgrade.

9. brewskee78

brewskee78 Member Guru

GPU:
    Msi 7600GT 256MB w/ ViVo
    I would highly recomend the 2500 barton, has great Oc'ing potential and its the best cpu in its price range and class. considering the potential it has.... thats if you can put out enough money for the new mother board that is. which should be that expensive now adays.....

10. Hiro1000

Hiro1000 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    ok, if persay i had the money to buy a new mobo and proccessor, what would you recomend as a pair something under $150?

11. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    hmmm, not sure about dollars, but for £150 you can get an Abit NF7, or an Asus A7n8x and a 2500+ (u could consider a mobile one, they are £10 more but overclock better cos they r unlocked), with a bit of cash left over.

12. Diamond15

Diamond15 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 1900XT 512mb
    i dont have problems with my 9600xt but my system is a bit to slow for some games

13. KNIFE

KNIFE Master Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE X800 GTO2 16pipe
    its definately ur comp slowing u down my 9600xt is also sluggish and thats with a 1800xp(1533mhz) so i need to upgrade also.

u could try some things to increase ur performance such as overclocking your card abit which is easy, or overclocking ur cpu and ram abit aswell in ur bios or by maybe trying a programe like speed fan which is what i use but u need to be careful when doing so try to gain some knowlege first as u can kill ur computer doing these things if u dont know what ur doing. have u also tryed different drivers? different drivers can give better speed but u must completely remove the old drivers first to avoid conflicks. having certain features on in ur driver like antianlising and atmistropic filtering will slow performance alot. u could tweaked ur bios to run ur games as fast as u can like memory timeings? also unwanted programme that are running on ur comp can also slow it down a fare bit. so use control,alt and deleat and end any programes u dont need when u play a game. also a good idea to find your start up programe list and disabling things u dont need or use by clicking start, run,type msconfigthen enter and go to start up tab(look what the command is for winxp not sure if its the same)

yes virus cheaking and defraging is a good idea but ive never personally seen it have an effect on performance. another useful thing to get is a programme called adaware 6 its free and can get rid of spy ware that companies dump on ur computer when u enter the web. these programes run taking up cpu cycles and memory. another thing is u could deleat all ur cookies on ur computer i remember that on my old comp which was a 1gig it slowed right down after 5 months all coz there was so many many cookies on it. also try a winxp tweaker programme could help winxp is a resource hogger thats why i still use win me for the moment if u wanted it is possible to install windows me along with xp so u can use win me for games and gain like 7%performance but theyve stoped releasing drivers now for windows 9x which angers me.

to help u gayge the difference any changes make to ur comp u should use benchmarks such as 3dmarks2001 and 2003 and also aquamark3 which i think is the best, to me 3dmarks 2003 only really shows improvements made to ur gfx card rather than a system mark. for example theres people with much faster systems than mine with the same card but yet only getting the same score becoz its in most cases only marking the card even my overclocking the cpu doesnt increase my score but it does on the other 2 benchmarks.

hope some of that may help but an upgrade is definately needed

diamond i have exactly the same card as yours is urs overclocked atall? come as standard 500/325 but states on the box its fine at 532/325 and indeed it is i invested in a vga silencer which is only a tenner and i pused it all the way to 560 on the core but i keep it at 540 to be safe also the memory can but pushed a little mine is always at 328 or 330 rather than 325 i dont want to push it much higher coz i dont want to burn the memory chips im quite sure it will do 335 or even 340 but ill wait till i get extra cooling on the mem b4 i go that far.

14. Diamond15

Diamond15 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 1900XT 512mb
    mine runs at stock speeds 500 core 325 mem and it states on the box it s fine at 532/325 and i dont overclock the card as long as it works fine and if i whant to overclock i will need better cooling i only got a small fan on my core no memory heatsinks and stuff

15. brewskee78

brewskee78 Member Guru

GPU:
    Msi 7600GT 256MB w/ ViVo

16. KNIFE

KNIFE Master Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE X800 GTO2 16pipe
    i know the heat sink and fan is small but its very good u could easily have the core at 520 and that shouldnt make it overheat in the slightest as it states core is 532 rdy thats means its basically been tested with the core at those mhz with the current cooling and has been proven to not overheat or kill the card in anyway otherwise theyd definately not put it on the box. i dont have mem heats sinks either which id really like. i actually think the core can go to 550 with the poxie fan altho even if u didnt see artifacts which is how u tell if ur overclocking too much would probly be killing the card slowly, even read some getting 565. i was using it at 525 b4 i got the vga silenser which only cools the core i also tested it with the standard fan to 535 and worked fine but i like to keep on the safe side of the line. u should just clock it to 520 when u play those games u need a little extra boost in. i wasnt partiulary happy with the cards performance when i first got it but when its running at 540 it makes me happy and the game unreal2004demo went from choppy to smooth a big difference in that game.

obviously its ur choice tho:rolleyes:

17. Diamond15

Diamond15 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 1900XT 512mb
    if i enable overdrive it overclocks it to 526 mhz but that isn't needed cause everything runs fine and it keeps cool idd 35 idle to 45 while playing games and if if play realtime demos of the 9800 on it it gets 53 degrees

18. SIOC

SIOC Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GT OC2 512 @ 725/1800/2026
    HI!! For the MB your looking for, check Abit AN7, NF7-S older but made his proof. There is the Gigabyte 7N400Pr0, the ASUS A7n8 deluxe and the DFI Infinity II.

All the motherboards are NF2 Chipset platform and good overclocker. The NF2 is good platform for gamer. Some are more expensive because of the SOundstorm audio onboard interface (MCPT southbridge) and other extra.

Good shopping

The price is from 130$ to 160 $CAN currencies.

19. Hiro1000

Hiro1000 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    uhh well i can't over clock cause my bios is an hp bios so i can't overclock anything, and i've tried many times to speed up my fans with speed fan an lots of other programs but it does not work.

20. Alo

Alo Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 9600XT
    The AMD 2500 would be an excellent choice.