Slow site (main page and forum)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by bwx232, Sep 9, 2002.

1. bwx232

bwx232 Guest

For some reason for the last week or so your site has been very, very slow, both the forums and the main page. I have cleared my cookies and temp. internet files-- set everything back to defaults just to be sure it is not on my end. Your site is the only site that I regularly visit that is consistantly slow. It takes about 15 seconds for the main page to pop up after the status bar says "done". It just stays black, then when navigating back and forth through the different news articals it takes another 10 to 15 seconds between each click back and forth. sometimes the pages just pop right up, but only once in a while. Any ideas how I can get your pages to refresh faster?

All the bandwidth tests I go to say my download speed is roughly between 350 and 450 Kb/second- I can download a 1 megabyte file in about 2 seconds- but your pages take 10 to 15 seconds, I don't get it. ( I also ran Adware and Norton antivirus and everything came up clean)

2. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Yes weird stuff, this sometimes happens at random intervals. If it happens just relogon one hour later. Chances are that the lag is gone by then.

The admins are examining this issue.

3. Dave

Dave Don Fredo Corleone

I have found that if I'm clicking on a link, it's quick, but if I'm hitting the back button, it's slow as heck

4. Psychosematic

Psychosematic Guest

GPU:
    2xGTX 570 @ 800/1600/2000
    The entire forums have become very slow for me since the server change. A lot of times, pages will stop loading prematurely. I'm on the East Coast USA on an AT&T broadband connection. I'm one of the few people on my local node, I ALWAYS have 1500 / 275 so I know it's not local slowdowns.

5. GTa86

GTa86 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon 7850
    your not the only one, I get the same thing midday usually.....using roadrunner cable...

6. osama1234

osama1234 Guest

GPU:
    Asus MX-400 64mb
    same, i didn't mention it, but i thought that it would go away... i think it only affects at peak hours... ifind that most of the slowdown happens between 4 and 10 of my local times... (west coast) and then around 12 it all seems to speed up...

my situation is different... i have the background loaded (color) and the add (guy with glasses)(funny guys... just had to advertisement :D) and it takes at least 5- 10 seconds to load the main text and otuline of the forum... often i get pissed and refresh...not any quicker...

right now its pretty fast... can't wait to see how it is later in the evening.

7. fahad

fahad Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Albatron Geforce4 Ti4200 128MB/Hitachi CML174B
    yeah same with me it just stops loading and turns gray

8. Martys Web

Martys Web Don Santino Corleone

GPU:
    XFX 7600gt
    Yep it seems to be our add server causing the lag. It is realy bad today.

9. zodiac_hl

zodiac_hl Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 8800 GT
    i've stopped useing the back space,just takes too long.(w/.cable)
    when the speed of the server is good, i have to hit the back button three times,because of adflow being slow,but that is another problem.

10. bwx232

bwx232 Guest

Well at least I know it's not just me now.

(it is usually worth the wait, but sometimes i just don't have the time)

11. osama1234

osama1234 Guest

GPU:
    Asus MX-400 64mb
    20 seconds to load this... and its still not completed...

it takes forever or either it doesn't get into my cp...

anyways hope this speed problem is fixed asap... and if you guys are on it... GREAT Keep working... (i'm like homer... supposed to motivate you guys... )

:vader:

12. bwx232

bwx232 Guest

Well this is getting bad- it is midnight here, so I don't think that is considered "peak time" (could be wrong) and it took me 30 seconds for the forums pages to load-- Just unacceptable! I can't even get on the main page- it just sits there! What's going on? Is my favorite site even going to be here for much longer? If these problems don't get fixed I don't see that being good for this website, bummer. Really sad--

13. osama1234

osama1234 Guest

GPU:
    Asus MX-400 64mb
    found the problem... its the ad...

i'm just saying for the meantime... get ad killed from download.com

and my page loading time is instantaneous again... its nothing to do with poor hilbert, marty and dave... but the ads

14. bwx232

bwx232 Guest

OK, I keep hearing that everyone knows what the problem is- the ad server- SO what's the big deal? Why can't the problem be fixed? This site has always been a little slow, and that's no problem, I can live w/ it being a little slow- But when I don't even want to come here anymore because it takes 20 seconds for each time you navigate back and forth-- then that is a huge problem. I know it's not just me, so what's the hold up?

------------A concerned member

15. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We have tested the site without any ads and it still remains slow for about 3-4 hours a day each day at the same time-intrerval.

The ads by itself can 'sometimes' slow down the site. The ad-company placed a new server last week to divert this issue, so the ads are not an issue anymore.

Server remains slow at prime-time internet hours in Europe 16:00-20:00. Admins are still looking into this but have a very hard time finding the cause as it's not the server ..

Bare with us.

16. fahad

fahad Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Albatron Geforce4 Ti4200 128MB/Hitachi CML174B
    ha...i started using netscape awhile back and it caches almost everything and the site opens up like a have dsl:D

17. bwx232

bwx232 Guest

Ok, that's good enough for me, good luck.

18. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Looks like the lag issue has now been fixed 100%

Keeping my fingers crossed though.

19. bwx232

bwx232 Guest

Yup, it seems to be working great now. Cool.