Shadowplay recording video output stutters

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Phroster, Jan 16, 2014.

1. tyRant.594

tyRant.594 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 280x
  2. hazochun

hazochun Guest

GPU:
    MSI Vega 56 OC Air
    I had the video playback problems if i play the video with k-lite and hardware decodeing on. (The guide from thsi forum. something talked about play video at 60fps with nvidia HW decoding. It works with other video, but not mp4 from shadowplay)
    If i turn off hardware decoding, no problems but it was few months ago when shadowplay 1st beta release.

Shadowplay actually eat some cpu and FPS.
    My 660 cant handle it on BF4. it can run at 60fps 1080p med setting but with shadowplay, it became unstable 40-60fps

and i recorded this few months ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkeuH2-b8fc

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  3. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Guys,

I know you have got stuttering and yes there is some talk out there for shadowplay files having some stuttering, but I do not get this.

When playing the files back, I can see quite clearly zero stuttering BUT I will concede I can see the frame rate peaks and troughs.

My thoughts on this are no different than Fraps (which I have beta-tested since 2005) and DxTory (using a variety of Codecs over the years) in that all recording software will highlight drops in frame rate due to the game engine not showing a consistent frame rate.

Fraps does lock the framerate while recording (if you tick the box) but I have found this to desync the audio files and get stuttering whilst playing @ 60fps (or 59 as the case may be) so I have never used it and it has an overall detrimental effect on gaming.

If you want to remove stuttering of any kind from the files you have got, all I can suggest is to run it through a post production software like Adobe After Effects and interpolate the individual frames. This will effectively create brand new frames, but, depending on the amount of motion between the affected frames; will cause graphical artifacting. There is a way to manually go through the footage frame by frame to decide the speed and voracity of predictability the motion vectors use, but it's a slow and laborious task.

Before uploading to YouTube, I generally run an edited MP4 through the process I use below:

[​IMG]

As mentioned, I personally believe the stuttering you are seeing is simply the frame rate fluctuation and nothing more than this. Yes, I know you are saying there is not any frame drops, but there is definitely something occurring to get frame drops.

By no means an expert on the MP4 chip nVidia have put into the cards, but I think whatever you are experiencing is either a fault of the software you are using to play these files back or your own interpretation of what is being recorded.

Can nVidia make an MP4 file which takes the frame rate peaks and troughs into consideration whilst still being able to interleave the audio @ a consistent frame rate? I think that's a very tall order and something which Beepa have been trying to do for years, but for an AVI codec and using the video information going through the frame buffer and not MP4 via an onboard chip.

In terms of the quality & file size, I am 'satisfied' at present with Shadowplay and can only pray for a time when we can get 4-4-4 files from ShadowPlay and not the lower quality ones we are currently getting. My limited understanding is they would need to either put a new chip on the cards or change the design of the chip at the BIOS level and alter the RGB channels it gathers and then encodes to the 4-2-0.

The 4-2-0 is (yes) what YouTube use for the videos we watch on there (which is utterly horrid) - but the problem with this is the extra step I have to take to get a 4-2-0 file into another 4-2-0 file, by having a 4-4-4 file intermediate prior to the final encode. If Shadowplay was 4-4-4 (total dream right now anno 2014) then I could run a direct encode into a 4-2-0 file without worrying about losing anything, thanks to YouTube or any other streaming service doing their own encode and effectively adding more artifacting and quality loss by doing their encoding. The only reason I create a 1440P project is because if you upload this resolution (I believe it is anything above 1200p, might be wrong on that) YouTube will provide more or a higher bitrate for streaming for the file, but only @ 1440p when selected.

Simply put, if you took a file from shadowplay, editied it and output to the same colorspace, and then uploaded the file - it would have been encoded 3 times; once by the nVidia chip, once by you and the final encode by YouTube. This means it has been 'crushed' 3 times and the high and low end of the RGB channels would have taken a crazy beating by then.

meh, rant over.

4. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    To get totally smooth recording I need to record the video to a drive that the game I am playing is not installed on. If you haven't tried this then give it a go. I have both folders "shadowplay temp files" folder and the main video folder on a non gaming drive.

5. Lucifer

Lucifer Guest

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 2060S
    I have the same problem, but with older version of shadowplay is fine though

6. JohnnyUSA

JohnnyUSA Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 660 Ti
    This ^^

7. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    why are you converting a 59.94fps video up to 60fps? that is likely what is causing your framerate jitters.

leave it at 59.94fps or if you must down-convert it to 29.97fps. If you try to convert it to 60fps or 30fps you'll end up with jitters.

8. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Because 60 is 59.94 in Prem pro, and converting a 60 to 30 minus frame blending is fine - if you were referring to me.

9. Phroster

Phroster Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 4080 RTX
    The original output stutters, the issue is not about editing the video with premiere and then stuttering.

10. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Don't take this the wrong way, but if the edited video is fine - what's the problem?

11. mordax

mordax Guest

GPU:
    fdsa
    Hi. first of, i think that this stutter is because your hardware is not good enough (HDD for example is too slow). i had this problem with Fraps when recording onto a 5400rpm HDD.

anyway, i post here because i have problem with the game stutter. framerate stays stable and almost no drop, but some games stutter, not all tho.
    CSGO is having serious issues, i cant aim for ****, it skips 1-2 frames every few frames, its really annoying.
    Game itself runs at like 170-200fps without vsync and obviously with vsync its 60fps, no matter what my vsync is, game stutters real bad with shadowplay recording.
    I also get same in Far Cry 3, while BF4, Watch Dogs, Arma3, Dayz ...etc have no effect at all.

I had it with GTX 680 and now i have 680 SLI and still exact same, so clearly it is not hardware. I've had this since the beginning of shadowplay. I contacted their support, but they cant say much.

WELLLLL .. to be more specific, it's my mouse movement / aim that stutters, if i move with arrow keys, i don't see any stutter, but when aiming i feel my mouse just skipping frames.
    I've tried 2 different mice (3600dpi and 5600dpi) and even tried lowering the dpi, but still same. it's just some games do that stutter.

anyone has any ideas?
    personally i think it is due shadowplays live compression, since it makes really tiny files compared to fraps and similar programs.

12. JohnnyUSA

JohnnyUSA Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 660 Ti
    I have a 10.000 RPM Hdd so that's not the case.

13. No4h Am1n

No4h Am1n Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX680 TWINFROZR
    For me, changing the frame rate to 30 in shadowplay settings solved this annoying issue.

Grtz :cheers:

14. rinn

rinn Guest

:--)

15. BadDriver

BadDriver Guest

GPU:
    STRIX-GTX1070-8G

16. basagre28

basagre28 Guest

GPU:
    AORUS GTX 1080 TI
    any fix? cause im having a empty folder after recording pls help me anyone?

17. Klementh

Klementh Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1060 3GB
    Have you tried lowering the bitrate instead?
    In my experience any bitrate except the minimun allowed by the program is still good for 60 FPS 1080p.

18. LyrickCZE

LyrickCZE Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW @1282Mhz
    Hi Shadowplayers!

Today I came across same problem with Shadowplay's footage dropping frames, having incosistent FPS and from time to time even some audio jerkiness.

I've recorded quite a few games in the past using Shadowplay, including some heavier ones like GTA5 or Shadow of Mordor and videos were nice and smooth even though the games were set to ultra or almost ultra (i5-4690k + gtx 970)

I always record 1080p 60FPS 50Mbits (highest bitrate because I usually bring it to video editing software)

Today I started recording AC: Unity and I started experiment what you describe. None of the solutions I found on the net helped (lowering FPS to 30, resolution to 720p, turn off vsync, parking cores, moving temp folders, disabling shadow recording,...). But then I also started noticing people talking about Unity saying it's very CPU heavy. Immediatelly I though - hey, maybe my i5 can't handle it both!

And so I went to the Task Manager and set the High priority to the nVidia Capture Server (nvspcaps64.exe). The result were amazing. The videos again looked like I would expect. There were still some minor FPS fluctations but hardly noticable, but most importantly - no dropped frames and no audio issues. I lowered the game settings a bit anyways and now it's buttery smooth again. Strangely enough, it didn't affect my Unity's in-game performance as I would expect. Well, at least not by an amount that I could notice.

Even though my GTA5 videos were perfect without changing anything, AC: Unity seems to be a different kind of beast... so my computer simply wasn't powerful enough and Shadowplay wasn't keeping up. Now the Shadowplay gets all the CPU power it needs and when it's not enough to handle both the recording and the game, my game FPS just lowers a bit instead of destroying my videos. I may think about getting me one of those nifty external recording boxes... Any recommendations?

Sooo.. maybe see if it helps for you as well?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  19. VAlbomb

VAlbomb Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia G1 Gaming GTX 970
    You should file a report to Nvidia if setting the process to High priority fixed your problem.

20. LyrickCZE

LyrickCZE Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW @1282Mhz
    So I was just setting the priority again (Prio doesn't work for me, have yet to find a working alternative) and guess what I noticed - Unity by default has priority set to High. That explains quite a lot..