Seagate HD Failure **UPDATE**

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jamesy305, Jan 18, 2009.

1. jamesy305

jamesy305 Member

GPU:
    BFG GTX280 OCX
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  2. Messerschmitt

Messerschmitt Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 7970 DCU II
    Main article link is broken

3. jamesy305

jamesy305 Member

GPU:
    BFG GTX280 OCX
    Sorry about that, I've updated the link, should work now!

4. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Thanks for sharing :)

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Gee that's great... I just bought a 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 720.11 HDD a couple of weeks ago and it is one of the models listed as potentially affected by this issue. My computer has gone back for repairs though - the CPU runs too hot - so I cannot check the serial number until I get it back next week.

The good news is that it isn't my primary drive - that's an Hitachi... it just has Windows 7 beta and a copy of my backup data from my external Iomega HDD on it so I won't lose anything if it does fail. I won't be buying Seagate HDDs in future though...

6. Knox

Knox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX580 8GB
    Sweet! My drive is good. :banana:

Hope everything works out fine for the rest.

7. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    So, 7200.10 HDDs are not affected?

Of course, the Serial checker application only works on individual HDDs.

8. Knox

Knox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX580 8GB
    From what i understand no, the 7200.10's are unaffected. Also, Seagate offers a tool (software, at no charge) to check your serial number and firmware revision.

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Well, they offer a tool to check if my serial number is affected? How about they give me a tool in case my HDD is one of the bad ones? (just ordered a 500gb 7200.11 from aria yesterday and after reading this I emailed them about changing it but too late, it's shipped already).

10. The Chosen 1

The Chosen 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 6870 MSI TwinFrozer II
    Still not clear which firmware revision is affected ... i heard that the SD15 firmware is affected and my drive has that firmware but this online tool said that my drive isn't ...

Until they release the list of firmwares I'm not going to trust this...

11. subxero

subxero Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    I have a 500gb 7200.11 with firmware SD15 that is no longer seen in the bios. The serial tool said it was not effected. It also said my 1tb with firmware SD35 is not affected either.

I'm going to have to send the 500 back to seagate, I was just hoping to aviod having to do it over and over agian until they fix whatever issues are causing this.

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    How do you find out what firmware your HDD is? does it say something on the sticker?

Anyway, seems like Seagate treat their customers like crap and then release a tool that tells everyone that their HDD isn't affected to shut them up. I bet nobody yet got a negative reply from that checking tool...

13. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    You can download Seatools from the Seagate website.

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    cheers mate... I suppose that will tell me what firmware it is. I was hoping I can tell just by looking it up on the sticker, because if I could I'd send it straight back to Aria... I might still do that... But I wanted to install XP on that drive... Do you think It'll be a fair bit faster than my current Hitachi 250gb SATA 8mb cache? Because if not, I'll just install my OS on that and then RMA the Seagate and use that as a backup drive for all my songs and stuff...

15. Rootdown

Rootdown Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX670
    i copy and pasted every serial number in the serial checker in that chart for the barracuda section and they all came up as NOT affected...:3eyes:

16. Rootdown

Rootdown Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX670
    and not a single hard drive tool ever recongnizes any of my hard drives. i have a combonation of seagat and wd hard drives. seatools and drive detect just come up empty all the time.

17. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    I had a dead one from a client last week. 500GB

FWI - These drives are shipping in HP DX24x0 series machines at the moment.

Disk is seen by the BIOS, but as a 0MB disk.

I'm not really bothered about the RMA as I can get that from HP, but the data on the disk is a problem..... I presume you can't flash a failed disk.

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
  19. jamesy305

jamesy305 Member

GPU:
    BFG GTX280 OCX
    there is no new firmware yet. I've spoke to Seagate tech's a few times and they insist that a firmware will be released next week! I've also heard from people who's drives have failed and they say the online checker tells them their drive is NOT affected! So.... DONT TRUST THE ONLINE CHECKER!!!

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Yeah, I thought it was just a publicity stunt... to calm everyone down until they release a new firmware... So, jamesy, according to you a new firmware is out next week and it should be applied to all the drives and then they should be fine... Will we lose the data from those drives by applying the update? Coz if I install XP on it on tuesday, the last thing I want to do is having to do it again a few days later...