Sapphire HD 4890 Temps and Noise

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by NemesisT103, May 26, 2009.

1. NemesisT103

NemesisT103 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Ati HD 5850
    Hey everyone well i recently bought a Sapphire Ati HD 4890, it runs idle at 44 - 48 Degrees and around 70 - 76 at Full load, so i think these temps are more than OK, the problem is that the damn stock cooler is so noisy, when its idle the fan is at 30% and i dont even hear it, but as soon as i start playing something it hits around 40 or 50% and damn its so loud its like a vacuum cleaner, so well i have decided to change the stock cooler, but i really need some help choosing one, i dont want to spend a lot, but my main goal here is to at least keep the same temps but bring the noise down.

If anyone can recommend me one, so far i saw this one, and its 38 euros, Zalman VF1000 Led but i dont know if it would fit on the Sapphire 4890, anyhow i hope anyone has any advice or tips, thanks in advance.

This is the One i have in mind.

[​IMG]

2. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    I saw that one, but couldn't go for it because I have a very similar cooler on my Asus Dark Knight 4870 and it really couldn't keep up with overclocked temperatures. And while that is a decent cooler for stock, I think, you might be better served expanding your horizons.

I've opted (as in, its on its way) for this cooler.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185081

It's big, but apparently it's very quiet and does a very good job keeping temps down, but most importantly, it's similarly priced to that Zalman there, from what I've found.

And while I give Zalman a big thumbs up for using copper in all their heatsinks...it never seems to translate to significantly better temperatures, just more expensive components.

3. NemesisT103

NemesisT103 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Ati HD 5850
    But does that zallman will fit into my 4890? and honestly i dont mind im not planning on OCing my 4890 as long as it can keep the same temps as i have with stock but with less noise im more than happy, where i live atm they dont have that cooler you linked only the zallman :/

4. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    Yes it will fit, and it seems like it's better than most of the reviews I read. Seems like a pretty decent cooler.

5. NemesisT103

NemesisT103 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Ati HD 5850
    thanks a lot ! i will buy it and test it and post :D the results,

6. 0pTicaL

0pTicaL Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4890 1GB
    I wouldn't recommend that cooler as many people on other overclocking forums reported the performance is no better than the stock cooler less the noise. All the VF1000 is is a VF900 with a bigger heatsink.

You'll want to get a Scythe Musashi:

[​IMG]

That is the one I'm currently using on my 4870 1GB and it works wonders. I replaced the stock 100mm "slim" fans with standard 100mm case fans that push more air at the same speed but a lower decibel level.

Here are some reviews:

Review 1

Review 2

7. NemesisT103

NemesisT103 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Ati HD 5850
    all right anyways, i couldnt find in any nearby stores, with neither of these coolers in stock, i was searching for any of these.

Zalman VF1000 Led
    AC Accelero Twin Turbo
    Scythe Musashi

But unfortunately for me, i couldnt find any of these 3 coolers in stock in any of the stores i went to :/ if anyone knows any store that has these coolers anywhere in Lisbon or Sintra in portugal please let me know, i think im out of luck these days,

8. NemesisT103

NemesisT103 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Ati HD 5850
    I finally bought a AC Accelero Twin Turbo, i should be getting my hands on it tomorrow, my main problem was not the temps, with the stock cooler they were perfect, the problem was the bloody noise. It gets annoying and my case is very silent. I will post pics when i install it, for anyone who is interested and i will also test it and compare it to the stock and post the info :D .

9. King4x4

King4x4 Guest

GPU:
    4xSapphire 290x@1200mhz
    I would keep a close on the Vram temps if you install a non-stock cooler.

Read that vrams might reach critical mass and fry themselves with a non-stock cooler on the 4890 so be careful. :wanker:

10. NemesisT103

NemesisT103 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Ati HD 5850
    I know mate, i will keep the red plate of the card that covers the ram and the VRMs and i will just install the Accelero for the GPU . I will report as soon as i install and test it, im waiting for the cooler to arrive

11. King4x4

King4x4 Guest

GPU:
    4xSapphire 290x@1200mhz
    Give some feedbacks then... thinking of doing the same to both of my cards.

12. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    I would o just locked the fan speed to 35%

13. NemesisT103

NemesisT103 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Ati HD 5850
    For anyone who is interested im going to do exactly this to my Sapphire 4890, Add the AC Accelero Twin Turbo, but keeping the red backplate to cool the memories and the VRMs and also add a ram sink to help, and believe me it seems it works wonders, in cooling it seems its not a big difference, but then again, the stock one was awesome, but noisy, and this one is awesome aswell but without the noise, in other words it is perfect xD.

Check this site mate, they explain what to do in case you dont know, it works like a charm, i do it myself tomorrow, i take pics and post all about it for everyone :D.

http://www.hardmac.com/articles/265/page1

14. jorismak

jorismak Member

GPU:
    XFX HD4890 Black Edition
    registered just to drop my 2cts here :).

Could you guys _PLEASE_ let us know in this thread how it worked out?

I have a brand new XFX HD4890 Black Edition. The same as the poster in this thread, the temps don't go over 74C in load (and that with an overclocked Q6600 near it) which is fine, but my fan reaches 65% during gaming, going up to 4500rpm some times. Unbearable.

I've ordered an Arctic Cooling Twin Turbo which can arrive any day now, but I just as easily will buy a Scythe Musashi if it works better according to reports here.

So what to do about the VRM's, please let me know. I haven't removed the stock cooler on my card yet, so I have no idea how it looks under there.
    (No newbie at all at computer hardware, but never modified a cooler on a modern VGA card before, so I'm newb at that :).

15. fasteddy

fasteddy Guest

GPU:
    2 x Asus HD6950oc

16. jorismak

jorismak Member

GPU:
    XFX HD4890 Black Edition
    with the red plate on, my AC Twin Turbo still doesn't wanna work!

I have a XFX HD4890 and with the AC Twin Turbo on a red led is lit on the card and I get no signal on my monitor, but my system is booting fine in the mean time.

When I put the stock cooler back on the card is working fine. AC Twin Turbo back on it, no signal again. Stock cooler -> working fine again.

Is the card detecting a problem with Fan speeds or something and refusing to work? What does the single red led mean btw? I know three red leds means power-problems.

Anybody who can give me tips?

17. NemesisT103

NemesisT103 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Ati HD 5850
    I really dont know mate because the actual physical change of a cooler shouldnt do anything to your graphic card unless you damage it but since its working fine when you change back to the stock, in my case i plug the accelero fan to the psu with the adaptor to molex that it brings and it didnt give me any problem, are you sure the card fits in the pci-e correctly and all when the accelero is installed? anyhow its very weird.

18. jorismak

jorismak Member

GPU:
    XFX HD4890 Black Edition
    Can I ask, what card do you have? Also a XFX one? Is the PCB board a reference design?

I'm thinking about flashing a stock Sapphire or ATI reference bios to at least see if the cooler will work then...

19. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    Technically, you need fans that apply more pressure — CFMs mean nothing for heatsink fans. Just felt like mentioning that lil' detail; anyhow, the fan you bought afterwards have to apply more pressure since they're thicker. One thing though: where did you find 100mm fans?

20. NemesisT103

NemesisT103 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Ati HD 5850
    I have a Sapphire HD 4890 and yes the PCB is board reference, check my other post here >> http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=298960 >> It has all about when i installed my AC Accelero Twin Turbo and its still working like a charm.