Rumor: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 and 3080 Coming Q3 2020 + Specs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Very mature.

This isnt our consideration even though you want it to be.
    Have you declared an involvement with NVidia yet?

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Oh right, everyone that is pro people getting paid what they're worth is an employee, how did i forget.

Have you declared your allegiance to the ruling class yet?

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Obvious is obvious ;)

Dragam1337 likes this.
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    sorry to burst your bubble, but i'm neither an employee at nvidia, nor am i looking to be one.

It would get in the way of telling people they need to fix their toaster instead of blaming drivers for every single example of low grade silicon they bought and should seek replacement for.

If AMD's hiring though, i'd like to lead their software team, as long as i can use cattle prods and waterboarding to enforce stringent code standards.

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    "involvement"

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I think ATi/AMD had bad enough leadership in software divisions in past. Way to lead software teams is by having them happy and positively motivated.
    It is important to promote creativity. Negative encouragement and pressure is fast way to hell.

Maddness likes this.
  7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    NVIDIA seems to be doing pretty well from what we've seen and heard, AMD far as it sounds like just needs more staff for the GPU team and whoever will have to be doing the work putting together a team to go through what apparently back then from some ex-employee info years ago was a mass of code and apparently a good core at least but a lot of stuff added and changed over the years and however massive a overhaul of that would be and how much time it'd take. (The OGL thing they did for DOOM 3 ultimately fizzled out and took over a year far as I recall, NVIDIA spent around a year just for improving their earlier D3D11 code so the full driver code cleanup and overhaul would be massive much as it'd likely be a good thing if it succeeded.)

Looking forward to seeing the actual hardware from both once there's more info and what not available, maybe not so much looking forward to seeing the actual price tag though at least for the upper end models even if it's not the big enthusiast top products. :D

EDIT: Open source is likely impossible for the Windows code base too even if it would be partial, resources for that sort of work would probably involve a whole lot of people and investment over a long period of time with little immediate return if any until the new better and documented and all that code base could be the new driver base.

No idea if that'd be enough, would be interesting to have but it's all speculative for how much it could potentially do far as stability and performance goes although some API's kinda would sorely need a significant overhaul and the rest is probably also due a nice cleanup but it's probably nearly impossible with their current team size and situation just as a guess for how much work it'd involve and how much code there is over all these years that might not be documented or standard at all.

Or what to call it, both AMD and NVIDIA likely have their API specific or game/program specific near hack like workarounds or solutions but some of these are also sort-of required for things to work because some stuff is just kinda busted or broken or under performing without it and that's just a part of the whole thing.

Well that's more on the software side and this is more about the hardware, both kinda need to be in shape but I hope AMD and NVIDIA can have a bit of a more competitive thing going even if AMD will be a bit behind due to their smaller staff size and NVIDIA's current lead. (We'll see how it goes!)

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    Maddness likes this.
  8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    AMD should be hiring more software engineers, and less UX designers :p

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Very interesting. Especially how Nvidia is worried about AMDs ascendancy and how they've beat them in getting a bigger share of TSMCs manufacturing space. Still puzzles me why these tech companies are proceeding full steam ahead as if the markets will not be affected by the pandemic by end of 2020. Who is going to buy their cards when millions of prospective buyers may be out of work and with new priorities to contend with.

11. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    *cries in 572$ USD price 2070 Super*
    Ah well, it doesn't stay new forever, especially when you get sick of AMD video cards so bad they scrambled the [censored] desktop at boot 3 weeks prior to Chris's Mess.
    Sometimes you have to pay what you have to pay or go without. One play through of Quake II RTX made it entirely worth it though.
    Hopefully maybe we'll have more Ray-traced stuff out there. I mean, even solely for car headlights at night in driving games would be awesome. I don't care about the shiny puddles, but the lakes/rivers reflecting nice is a nice touch.

12. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    He says performance is he says 50%, but that's a fully unlocked card and the 3080Ti will be cut down a bit, so I would guess closer to 40%. Hence it's pretty well what you'd expect - turing + 40ish%, much faster RT, better DLSS and a bunch of new features.

The rest of it is just making conjecture to fill a video.

13. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Watched this earlier and while the truth is still tossed up in the air, the numbers don't sound unrealistic. Can't wait to see what 3060 can do, and I have also had a feeling that Ampere may produce 10gb Vram cards.

14. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    This leak makes more sense, specially the 3080Ti, but i find a little hard to believe it´s going to run circles around the 20xx series like they say. Can´t wait for the review of these puppies.

15. Halfmead

Halfmead Guest

GPU:
    GigaByte 2070 Super
    Sweet... now we can probably play minecraft at 60 fps with rtx on :p:p
    Only gonna cost us a measly 2k $

16. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    While this is correct, I'm not certain that RDNA 2.0 (supposedly) lacking hardware like that would be an advantage of any kind. We need to see the actual hardware performance it has in different scenarios. The only certain thing is that features that reduce traditional render overhead and effort are the future, and AMD better have them properly implemented in their driver.

Isn't this what they effectively did for their Ambient Occlusion injection (highjacking the engine on a per-case basis). They don't really need to be able to do everything, just the top 100 games and some boutique titles for reviewers.

That was the SSG card, and it's a real product. Seeing how long ago that was, I could see it as the basis of the systems used in the PS5 and, on a lesser extent, the Series X. I think he means something supporting DirectStorage, which might mean that the GPU would have similar access to NVMe storage, as it does to system memory.

All of this is speculation anyway.

17. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    The leaks I've seen suggest the 3060 will do that. The 3060 should beat the 2080ti with RTX on.

18. EngEd

EngEd Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    The "3080Ti" is most likely not true. I think that is the big QUADRO card used for rendering, AI machinelearning or other compute stuff.

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    best quadro is almost always an ungimped Ti.

20. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080

Noisiv likes this.