RTSS image stutter with stable frametimes?

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by Synoxia, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Synoxia

Synoxia Member Guru

GPU:
    Rog Vega 64
    I've been playing ac origins with a very strange behavior:
    Microstutter with stable frametime.

Monitor is freesync 144hz with 35hz initial range
    Gpu is Fury X, resolution is 1080p
    NO vram bottleneck: 3500gb max usage
    No cpu bottleneck: all cores are around 60%
    No GPU bottleneck ...
    RTSS 7.02, win 10 64 bit Adrenalin drivers 18.2.2

Vsync is off, both in AMD panel and in game.
    Using the in game 45 fps cap feels smoother.
    Why this happens?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    If you're capping to something other than your monitor's refresh rate (45 fps?), you will get stutter.
    No idea why in-game cap would be any better, maybe different implementation makes it feel better in your case.

3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Depending on games implementation of frame limitting, they can be superior to 3rd party.

RTSS is smooth enough; ingame can be slightly better and also have a reduction in inputlag over 3rd party.

4. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Allrighty.

5. Synoxia

Synoxia Member Guru

GPU:
    Rog Vega 64
    I'm capping to my monitor refresh rate. I forgot to mention my monitor is freesync monitor with 35-144hz range

RTSS is f***ed up in this game. In game framelimiter sucks with frametimes but no stuttering

6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Ok, that's different then. Maybe ingame framelimiter's frametimes are variable on purpose if it provides a smoother experience.
    Ie. as RTSS provides fixed frametimes -> stutter. If that makes sense.

Actually given how freesync works AFAIK (discards out of date frames from queue) some variation in frametimes is natural I think?
    So as RTSS bases its framelimiting to fixing frametime it doesn't give the best results with freesync if you're not capping to or near refresh rate limit?

Or is AC:O the only game where you have this issue?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  7. FAQU

FAQU Member

GPU:
    RX 480 8GB
    I've got a similar problem when using RivaTuner fps limiting + Vsync ON in-game . From my perspective it is some strange form of motion judder that normally shouldn't happen (my monitor has a 60Hz refresh rate , so every frame should normally be showed twice with Vsync ON and 30fps cap , not to be a juddery mess like it is right now) . If i use the in-game 30fps cap + Vsync ON , the frametimes are all over the place , but that motion judder is gone and it feels overall smoother. Also , without Vsync ON , the 30 fps cap in RivaTuner is smooth . It's like either you live with screen tearing , either with judder or micro-stuttering .

Note: This happens in every game !

For now , it seems like RivaTuner 7.1.0 simply conflicts with Vsync , which is sad considering that on Windows 10 you cannot go back to RivaTuner 6.6.0 , which worked fine with Vsync .

RIP console-like 30 fps smoothness on PC :(

8. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    You need to use 1/2 vsync. I don't know if this works anymore on AMD though. It's an option in Radeon Pro (it's called "Double VSync" I think.)

On NVidia, you use Inspector for this. Set vsync to "1/2" (you probably need to reboot for this to have an effect, even when setting it on the game's profile,) cap your FPS with RTSS to half your refresh - 0.01, and you get perfectly paced and reduced lag 30FPS.

9. FAQU

FAQU Member

GPU:
    RX 480 8GB
    Sadly Radeon Pro is outdated and it is not working with newer AMD graphics cards like mine (RX 480)

10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Sadly, double vsync is needed to get well-paced 30FPS on 60Hz :-/

Some games have an option for it (called "vsync interval") usually in ini files, but unfortunately that's rare.

Another option is to see if 30Hz works on your monitor. Usually it doesn't, but sometimes monitors support it through an internal double scanout. 24Hz for example is sometimes implemented in monitors by using 48Hz internally. Might be worth a try using CRU to add a 30Hz mode.

11. FAQU

FAQU Member

GPU:
    RX 480 8GB
    -If double/half Vsync is needed to get well-paced , tear-free 30fps on 60Hz , then why in-game 30 fps cap + normal Vsync doesn't give me that motion judder i am experiencing when using rivatuner for 30fps limit ? This makes me really confused .
    -My monitor only has a 30Hz Interlaced profile (which looks bad , since it is interlaced not progressive). I tried to create a custom 30Hz progressive profile within the AMD Driver , but unfortunately my monitor simply goes out of range if i switch to that profile (i tried with CRU as well , and the result stood the same)

12. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I don't know. What happens when you cap to 31FPS instead of 30? What happens when you force vsync off?

13. FAQU

FAQU Member

GPU:
    RX 480 8GB
    If i just turn Vsync off , and keep the 30 fps cap , then everything is smooth , but with major screen-tearing

For now i found two workarounds :
    1.Vsync On + 30fps in-game limiter + rivatuner 30 fps cap (I don't exactly know why , but if i use both in-game and rivatuner fps limiters , then vsync and rivatuner are not conflicting anymore , resulting in a smooth experience ; the only downside would be that not every game has an in-game fps limiter)
    2.Vsync On + rivatuner 31fps cap (There's some minor motion judder which is normal , but rivatuner and vsync are not conflicting anymore , resulting in an overall smooth experience)

14. Kamil950

Kamil950 Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 4GB
    Maybe Assassin’s Creed Origins uses 1/2 refresh rate V-sync if you use in-game 30FPS cap and in-game V-Sync together?