Reviews: GeForce GTX 1660 Ti testing Galore - MSI, ASUS and Palit

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    There's quite a lot wrong with some of that order by just taking a quick glance at it, so people should not really trust this list you've created. For a start RTX 2060 isn't really anywhere near 1080ti, it's between GTX 1070ti and GTX 1080. Also, 1080ti is above RTX 2070 performance. I think Vega64 is above 1070ti, but less sure on that one. Haven't bothered checking the order of the lower end cards, but quite a bit wrong with that listing there.

2. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I know, it's a bit sad, but I've been waiting for Navi (7nm) for what seems like a lifetime and my MSI RX 580 Gaming X 8G's Twin Frozr VI fans have started to sound like a lawnmower and I need a replacement.

If there's one thing I've learned from my time being here is that prices fluctuate, but the 2070 would mean spending another $300 or up towards $400 for decent fans, money I much rather spend on my 2019 races.
    It's okay, no harm done. :D I could easily buy an RTX 2070 today, but why would I want to waste than kind of money on a replacement when 7nm might be around the corner; nvm it has been delayed. :p

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    airbud7 likes this.
  3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    The FE RTX2060 is just as quite under load as the STRIX and only like 6°C warmer. On that card there really is no reason to spend all that extra money on AIB top end coolers. Plus Nvidia seems to be keeping the best chips for their FE cards now.

If I were building a PC right now the only new card that I would even consider for the price/performance is the FE RTX2060. The 1660ti would be great IF it were $30 cheaper. $250 MSRP should have been the goal.

Robbo9999 and airbud7 like this.
  4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Depends on budget and what you're upgrading from.... Sure, we'd all love to have an RTX2060. Not everyone can afford it. While the $280 asking price is a bit high, it's not as bad as the price hike the "high-end" got... But, my 1660Ti just showed up today and I need to get this RX470 out of my system.... Damn this GTX1660Ti Ventus XS 6GB is a beautiful card...even with the plastic backplate....

Denial, airbud7 and RzrTrek like this.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Idk i still think you should've goten a 2060 even if you had to wait a little bit longer. This card is not the upgrade you are looking for.

And a plastic backplate?

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Yes, a plastic backplate..... Hilbert mentioned it in his review....but as I only skimmed through the game test results, I missed that part. The backplate is purely an aesthetic component on the card, so being plastic isn't really an issue.

In Hilbert's review, based on the games I'm most likely to play, this 1660Ti provides roughly a 50% performance improvement over my RX470. Nothing to be disappointed by there. Sure, I could have gained another 10% or so from a 2060, but not really necessary nor worth the cost for me. After shipping, I paid roughly $286 for this 1660Ti....whereas the 2060 would have cost me roughly $366. That extra 10% or so performance gain is not worth an additional $80 to me.

I haven't had a chance to stress the card yet, or even game at all due to other activities and responsibilities. I will manage to over the next couple days though. The card is quite heavy and feels as solid as a brick....lol

airbud7 and RzrTrek like this.
  7. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    The RTX 2060 has a whole 25% more shader cores than the 1660ti, as well as 17% greater VRAM bandwidth, so if both the RTX 2060 and GTX 1660ti are overclocked to their max stable frequency the RTX 2060 is likely to be winning by up to 25% difference. The only reason why the gap between 1660ti and RTX 2060 doesn't seem that great is because they are being compared at stock frequencies, and the 1660ti has a higher stock frequency - but both the RTX 2060 and the 1660ti should overclock to roughly the same frequency, so overclocked performance would show a bigger gap (also the RTX 2060 has less power restrictions than the 1660ti, so another winning factor when comparing overclocked performance). I think RTX 2060 is a no brainer given what I've talked about here considering the small price difference between 1660ti & RTX 2060, not to mention the RTX features & DLSS - I think it's hard to not see that all this is worth the $80 that you mention. 1660ti too expensive for what it offers. (But, if you've set yourself an absolute upper limit for a GPU spend that happens to be at 1660ti price, well then there is no argument to be had, but that would be unfortunate).

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  8. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    $80 is $80 Bro!.....had he got a 2060 you would then say....> should have got 2070! .an then you would say.....> should have got 2080!

Grrrrrrrr :D

Aura89 likes this.
  9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Overclocking potential only becomes a factor if there is intent to overclock. As I have no intent nor reason to overclock, any potential gains to be had from overclocking are moot. The absolute most taxing game I could possibly install would be BF5 or FarCry.... My RX470 easily ran BF4 at well over 100fps at my preferred settings, so I would suspect that this 1660Ti will do so as well.

As for the RTX and DLSS features, those are moot as well. None of the games I currently play support RayTracing, nor will they ever. They also don't support DLSS, nor will they ever. Unused or unusable features have no value. As I only play BF games for the multiplayer aspect, RayTracing would be a no-go anyway as framerates are more important than "realistic graphics".... Quite frankly, I loathe the idea that games need more "realistic" graphics.

The games I play are BF4, SimCity, DA:O, DA2, TL, TL2 and ME2. All of which were easily run by my RX470. The primary reason for the upgrade was the stock fans failing on the RX470 and it having no ability to control or monitor the fans on my Accelero TwinTurbo II. The secondary reason for upgrading was "glitches" within the aforementioned games that were getting worse with newer graphics drivers. I don't expect that a newer AMD card would solve the issues as the drivers would still be the same.

Robbo9999 likes this.
  10. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    That's why I wrote that last sentence in my post saying: "But, if you've set yourself an absolute upper limit for a GPU spend that happens to be at 1660ti price, well then there is no argument to be had, but that would be unfortunate.". Which is what you're getting at by saying $80 is $80, so we're on the same page about that. If he got a 2060 I most certainly wouldn't have said to get a 2070, I think the 2060 is the one that actually makes sense in this RTX lineup in terms of performance & price.
    Yeah, I see what you mean, if you're only playing games that have already launched and aren't interested in future games, then all you need is a GPU which will run your current ones - so yes "job done" with your GTX 1660ti choice then. For people buying a GPU in that rough price range and if they're more interested in being able to play future games and getting the most performance/features/value from their GPU choice, then the RTX 2060 is the more solid choice over the GTX 1660ti, given the small price difference between the two as well as all the other points I mentioned in my earlier post.

airbud7 and Undying like this.