Review: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 Ti AMP Extreme

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 2, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    A new day, a new flagship graphics card, this time it's ZOTAC in da house with their massive GeForce GTX 1080 Ti AMP Extreme. This GTX 1080 Ti comes customized with an impressive cooler, RGB LEDs... ...

Review: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 Ti AMP Extreme

2. SaiBork

SaiBork Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 Ti / 4090
    Looks like a great card, but how does it perform in comparison to the Gigabyte AORUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition? It would be good to have both in the same table and not just in the noise table at the bottom.

Both are not easy to get in the UK at the moment, so I'm still in the market for either of these.

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Check Hilbert's "GPU Shootout" table, there are compared bechmark scores, for the Aorus Extreme too:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/zotac_geforce_gtx_1080_ti_amp_extreme_review,40.html

Thanks for the review Hilbert, was interested in this one. Yet it only looks like no matter what you do, getting above 2GHz is pretty much the end of 1080Ti overclocking under air.

4. slicer

slicer Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64
    We europeans get always the dirty end of a **** stick with the PC parts prices...
    hate ****ing EU and its politics!

5. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    Damn, 992,95 euro here and on amazondotcom it's 759.99 dollar, that's a huge difference.

6. SaiBork

SaiBork Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 Ti / 4090
    Ah, I see it now. I did look at that table, but it must have been too early for me to see the Gigabyte one in there. All I saw was comparisons to the normal 1080 Ti and previous models.

Think I'll just keep my pre-order up for the Gigabyte one as the cheapest I see the Zotac available at the moment is about £40 more expensive.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  7. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    What a BEAST! Would love to see a Powercooler Red Devil Vega go up against this! :D

8. Coexist

Coexist Guest

GPU:
    NV 1080Ti
    Fe

Could someone explain the boost clock philosophy to me. It seems these pascal cards boost way past their stated boost clocks.

I have the FE 1080Ti and despite throttling when it hits the 84deg thermal limit its boost clock is still ~1750 and have seen it go towards 1900 before it hits said 84deg. But the advertised boost clock is in the 1500s!

Also RIP my fingers, tried to unplug a second monitor after a long gaming session. That exhaust heated the cable plugs enough to burn :(

9. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Yeah it's just under 1000 euros here too, quite a bit more expensive than my already expensive MSI Gaming X lol. Nevertheless, monster card! :eek:

10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Boost 3.0 = puzzlebox. Nobody really knows how it works in detail I guess :D

Advertised boost clocks are a minimum the card has to reach to not get the vendors sued. It's a typical boost that depends on many things, and at times it's more than a moderate statement in comparison what the card clocks to out of the box. Actual boost clocks are dependant on power draw, temperatures of the card, inside the case, etc.

11. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    Holy Moly Batman ! Thats one serious card right there .

Great Review H :)

12. PCElite

PCElite Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Coil whine. Instant junk.

13. sephknite

sephknite Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1080 ti AMP Extreme
    Hi Hilbert. I have the Zotac 1080 ti Amp Extreme (ZT-P10810C-10P), and was wondering how you were able to adjust the voltage on MSI Afterburner. I'm running version 4.3.0.9267, and have been fiddling with the overclocking, and have not been able to move the core voltage meter.

One of the older titles I play is World of Warcraft. I tried these settings:

#1:
    Power: 120%
    GPU Clock: 25mhz
    Memory Clock: 575mhz

#2:
    Power: 110%
    GPU Clock: 25mhz
    Memory Clock 550mhz

Both attempts, I saw flickering, and on #1, my system slowed to a chug--it took 5-7 seconds to see my mouse click. After resetting my system, I quickly clicked MSI Afterburner back to default settings.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a reason why I'm locked out of being able to adjust the voltage? I went into Settings and checked "Unlock Voltage Control - Standard MSI' and still can't change it.

Thanks for any input!

14. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  15. Jawnys

Jawnys Master Guru

GPU:
    asus tuf oc 3090
    This card is awesome been owning one for two weeks now mine gets to 2012mhz out of the box, can get it to 2063 mhz in some games , with a custom fan curve gpu stays in the high 50 celsius or low 60, amazing looking cards as well awesome leds