Really dissapointed at Thermaltake. Pictures inside.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Rurouni Kenshin, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Rurouni Kenshin

Rurouni Kenshin Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 6800GT AGP 256MB @416/1179
    When i bought my Thermaltake PSU silent purepower 560W, i bought it because i had read really good reviews about it and i was about to get a 6800GT. So anyway, the PSU lasted for a year, now its dead, it stopped giving sufficient power to the components or something like that.

I work as a part-time electrician so i got curious and opened it up, I could not beleive what i saw. MY god man, is this suppose to be the work of a company with such a reputation? For some reason i feel cheated when i saw this, so i took some pics for you all to see. Even I that i was shown how to solder only 2 times, i can solder better than that.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well i ended up buying a OCZ 520W PSU in the meantime.

2. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    That is truly shocking

How much solder do you wanna use?!

3. Rurouni Kenshin

GPU:
    indeed, not a good sight.

4. Altazimuth

Altazimuth Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X 5870
    They probably did it to cope with the heavy currents flowing there, but it's not done very well.

Btw, I hope you were aware of the dangers of opening up the PSU, especially with all those solder connections exposed. Even though the capacitors should be discharged, it's still a bit risky.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2005

5. S_Kinton

S_Kinton Ancient Guru

GPU:
    512mb 8800GT & 22" Samsung LCD
    That the worst soldering ive ever seen. I could solder better than that when i did electronics at school at the age of 14!!

Also, you might have a 3 year warranty with that psu. Ring thermaltake or look at the guarantee leaflet that comes in the box for more info

6. play2lose

play2lose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 X Diamond 7970's
    omg, looks like a lava flow ate the town, wtf....and i just bought a Thermaltake Tsunami case with a thermaltake 400w in it lol

7. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Apple M2 Pro
    omfg i hope my new antec truepower 480w performs better :O

8. NeTbLasT

NeTbLasT Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi Mobility Radeon 9700 64MB (OC)
    I think that is a quality control problem.. Most of the manufacturer these days cares nothing about quality... All they think about is quantity.. Its sad because we (consumers) spend lots of money and go for the best that money can buy, but what we get is poo poo crap s*it...

9. otaku

otaku Guest

GPU:
    8800,640gts sli
    all the solder has melted from its original point i doubt it started like that but you have to ask you self what kind of a fault would cause such heat?

10. Xaser04

Xaser04 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE UV
    warrenties on psu's are voided if they are opened, unless they are opened by one of their own people, but I know where you are coming from that is disgusting. Although are they soldered by machine?

11. NeTbLasT

NeTbLasT Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi Mobility Radeon 9700 64MB (OC)
    yup, no more warranty for that PSU..

12. nabelon

nabelon Maha Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor Radeon HD 4850
    bah let it go...dont think bout it so much..

13. Saeid

Saeid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Connect3D X800 PCI-Express 256MB
    Damn.... THAT THE MOST SOLDER I HAVE EVER SEEN on anything! ;)

Maybe they were thinking they were being generous and supplying people with extra solder... Hehehehe...

Why dont u RMA it, or SUE THEM! (Give me 20% cause i gave u the idea)...
    hehehe lame joke! :p

14. Rurouni Kenshin

GPU:
    well the thing is dead anyway, i dont think its worth pursuing anything now.

15. Inspired

Inspired Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA e-GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked
    I have to agree with otaku here.

16. SYSCLoK

SYSCLoK Member Guru

GPU:
    Sparkle GeForce 6 6600 128MB, 128 b
    I guess Thermaltake its going to fell bad(shame mostly...) when they know that ppl ar looking at this bad soldering...

If I were them, I would send you a new one to save my rep....:rolleyes: :eek:

But thats me...;)

17. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    The question was, whether it was like that before it went into your case, and whether anything you did effected it.

As in did the FAN stop because of dust, was it that your Overclocking could of been pushing it too far and possibly effecting the power supply more than it should have?

Everyone gets bad batch of things, some people just get it.

I doubt they sit there with 1000's of people all soldering it by hand either, it would be by machine and mass produced.

Theres probably quite a few factors to consider.

18. Rurouni Kenshin

GPU:
    It was a 560W PSU, the PSU fan always worked. I dont think, me overlocking CPU and GFX did that. Besides if heat caused that, the it would be all over the board, but it isnt.

19. dune2

dune2 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Oh please, what sort of heat do you need to generate solder? According to the pics, there simply was waaayyyy too much solder in place. Naturally, he could have melted some if he really pushed his sys, but the fact that there is that much in the first place reaaly shows that his psu was not a glowing gem of reputation. However, it might just have been a single bad item, I agree.
    If I was in his shoes, I'd RMA it ASAP, just to find out how that company responds to such hilarious work.

20. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    I've definately see power supplies get VERY Hot, seen computers run that the fan has completely stopped, and you can't even touch the case above where the Power Supply was, and that was with an Older PSU, these new ones would be even hotter.

Just thinking of possibilities, but yes, it's a very bad job if that's how you got it, and you've voided your warranty buy opening it, you could have at least RMA'd it possibly before you opened it.