Rage 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, May 14, 2018.

1. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    I didn't like that they went and tried to add in a lot of "humour". Look, I get that the original RAGE wasn't 100% serious all the time, but it also didn't feel like it's a step away from the rather obnoxious Borderlands 2 meme humour. Sure, the end result is nowhere as infuriating as New Collosus (which made the game absolutely confusing tone-wise), or more recently Youngblood (which's "humour" can go die in a ditch), but I would have appreciated it more if it was a bit "rarer" to come across. In the og RAGE, I thought that the game's more lighthearted elements came from the artstyle of the characters, which were slightly cartoony, but grounded, and some of their more wacky personalities (not every character was a walking joke, and those that were, weren't turned to 11).

Shooting in RAGE 2 is fun, though. The car controls are rather stiff (I hoped that the cars would be a lot better than in RAGE 1, seeing how I liked the car combat in Mad Max). I'd still replay this game 10x, rather than ever touching Youngblood.

Kolt and angelgraves13 like this.
  2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I personally don't find the lack of interesting characters or better writing / story that bothersome.
    This is clearly meant to be B-movie schlock type set dressing or Saturday morning cartoons at best.

Also the somewhat barren open world fits the setting (a bustling metropolis wouldn't fit the barren wasteland post-apocalypse theme) and I for one find it refreshing that for a change an open world is just that, an open playground without map markers, objectives, quests and NPCs coming out of the woodwork all the time.

RAGE 2 is no different to RAGE in this regard and it works just as well. Both games are kind of middleground between linear and open world gameplay and I think it works in both games.

3. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    That's actually correct. Most writers will tell you that writing a good comedy is way harder than writing a good drama. You can laugh at a bad horror movie, or at an inept drama (though more often than not they end up boring, rather than funny), but a bad comedy is the just a facepalm/cinge fest. Now, RAGE 2 isn't on the level of Borderlands 2 or Youngblood (nowhere near Youngblood), but you can see that it lacks restraint. If the humor didn't try to go over the top all the time, and was a bit more grounded, you could still pull off a charming, fun shooting romp. It was mentioned here that the game can feel "corporate" at times, which I believe suits the chosen form of comedy. It never goes full obnoxious, but you can see that the form was chosen because it was identified as "popular" on some chart.

I still look forward to the next area dlc. Skins and other MTXs can be damned, however.

Kolt likes this.
  4. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    To each his own, I don't care if attempts at humour are unsuccesful if the game is fun to play.
    The game has its fair share of cringeworthy moments yes but that doesn't detract from the core gameplay experience (and perhaps even that cringe is by design).

I didn't really expect anything from the writing / characters, just as I don't expect demons in Doom to throw in smart social commentary every now and then.

For that, there are different games.

5. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Next RAGE 2 expansion has been announced.

RAGE 2: TerroMania

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Undying likes this.
  6. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    That's... an odd way to expand RAGE. The undead and magic don't really fit...

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    To be honest this looks more interesting then rage 2.

Witcher29 likes this.
  8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yeah pretty weird, starting to look like Far Cry 5 DLC *cough*

Guess it's Halloween themed then.

9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    The screenshots made me think of Sea of Thieves for some reason.....

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

11. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
  12. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Bought this on sale. This game is pretty fun especially the combat. There are a couple of annoying things though. 1. No toggle aim like Rage 1 but there was a mod for the latter. I prefer toggling to ADS and back. 2. Having to press a button to collect stuff or keep pressing a button to climb ladders and entering vehicles. Just unnecessary.

Edit: Actually there is a toggle for aim. Had missed it.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Agree, fun game. My gripe about it though was the lifeless environments, NPCs, general 'artificial feel' for the game. No sense of immersion whatsoever. But gameplay was fun and enjoyed it nonetheless.

MaCk0y likes this.
  14. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Bought this during one of those Bethesda sales and recently started playing.
    Contrary to the negative critics, I don't think this game is that bad. It's quite enjoyable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Archvile82 and Turanis like this.
  15. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I've really liked RAGE 2 since release.
    It's got id's first person combat, and feel great. And it's got Avalanche's open world design/feel and driving.

Story is a bit short, but I loved exploring the world and fighting the bandit hideouts.

Archvile82, jbscotchman and PowerK like this.

16. Rage2 is not a bad game... it's just extremely short and side activities are all the same. It simply lacks content.

Corrupt^ and cerebus23 like this.
  17. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    I couldn't agree more.

18. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    RAGE 2 isn't bad as far as the shooting is concerned - it's actually quite fun, even if the skills tend to overpower the player. The world is nice, but the driving feels awkward at times (a strange thing from Avalanche, since the driving in Mad Max was fun). The story is stupid, so its shortness didn't bother me much (although I don't get why they deviated so much from RAGE 1). The NPC's were mostly bad, though. The original game wasn't all doom and gloom, and the characters were quirky, but "reigned-in" quirky. Here, they are far too needlessly overblown to appear "cool&hip", I guess. The silent protagonist of RAGE 1 was a better choice.

In this, the game kinda deserves the mixed reception it got. It does lack content (the second "dlc" was a bad joke), and the world starts to feel empty once you clear it out, but the gameplay foundation is solid.

cerebus23 likes this.
  19. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Agreed also. I'm not finished yet but its a fun game and for free I can't say anything bad about it. Makes me wanna play Mad Max again.