Quake 2 with raytracing

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by dark_surge, Jan 22, 2019.

1. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    I searched the forums and couldn't find anything about this anywhere so I hope it hasn't already been posted and that I'm posting this in the right category. Somebody modded Quake 2 to support raytracing and it looks pretty good.

2. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Makes everything look like plastic.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I also hear its getting a vulkan support.

4. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    quake 2 needs a remaster.

Single player, multiplayer, co op, modding support and tools. And people still trying to improve the game to this day.

The game with its quirky code gave us pro mode movement. That people liked so much they modded it into quake 3 and gave the game extra skill ceiling.

Too bad i cant get berserk q2 to work properly with the gog quad damage version of the game fov wierdness.

5. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Nitpicking: they didn't mod it. They implemented new rendering from scratch.

6. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yeah... no thanks.
    Personally, Quake 2 should look like Quake 2. Not a fan of any of the ports that try to "update" the visuals.

7. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Quake > Quake 2
    Quake 4 > Quake 2

didn't like Quake 2 at all.

8. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE

Intel did this 9 years ago with Wolfenstein. Took 4 servers to do it at the horrible fps on screen. I thought they made a quake 1 demo too but I can't find it.

9. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    eh subjective but i finished sp for quake 4 and that was it what they did with the edge and those bouncy pad things ruined the map.

played more quake 3 than 4.

10. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    To each his own, but, personally... Quake 2 is the best one in the series.

I would rank them as...

Quake 2
    Quake 4
    Quake
    Quake 3

Enemy Territory Quake Wars
    Quake Champions

cerebus23 likes this.

11. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Sure but to me, Quake 2 was a big let down. It lost all of it's industrial/gothic feel that the original had. Quake on Voodoo was some of the best gaming I've ever experienced, it was mind blowing.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  12. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Quake always bored me. It started good, but the game just... sort of... meh. It just didn't do it for me.

13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Quake 3 Arena was the peak. Playing with your friends, blasting each other, that was fun. Didnt get much into the singleplayer and Quake 4 was big letdown for me.

14. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/quake-ii-rtx-june-6-release-date/

Neat, June 6th then and a number of updates to Quake 2 and of course RTX through Vulkan extensions and seemingly having the highest workload of any RTX enhanced game so far.

AsiJu likes this.
  15. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I.... feel like I'm the only person who thinks that looks bad.

I love Quake 2, it's my favorite of the series. But, I think that "RTX" makeover ruins the look of Quake II, the levels look overly bright and washed out. Removing the original atmosphere in favor of "ohh shiny".

16. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Stroggos having clear blue skies for a cyborg industrial planet and the atmosphere from the intro video was a bit of a clash plus the updated super shiny metal weaponry and against the original enemy models and lack of grime and dirt but I suppose it's all to highlight RTX reflections including water and then lighting overall, shadows and perhaps also the ambient occlusion tech RTX has.

It's a neat graphical showcase but it's probably going to be divisive similar to many other HD modifications though this goes a bit further than photographic textures or touching up NPC's or character and monster models.
    There's also the earlier path tracing attempt and we have Intel's former ray-tracing tech used in Quake Wars and Wolfenstein also being quite shiny as a showcase for the tech itself which yeah it's more of a tech demonstration I would say and less of a featured high-res re-release of the game itself though it looks like that is doable too using data from the full game albeit probably less extensive than the three demonstration levels for this version and a bit like a shareware showcase of old.

EDIT: Goofy as he was the Makron with a coat of shiny would have been to see though but from the video it does look like the monster models are untouched.

Goat-class warmech is one thing but then this jumps out.

[​IMG]

Sure it has a railgun and blasters but it's still comical almost. Well minor nitpick really. :D
    Technically it's just a brain in another type of mech suit.

I did like that implied progression though with enemy toughness going less and less cybernetic and more into fully robotic culminating with the Tank Daddy enemies (Well other than one memorable encounter I think it was just Tank and Tank Commander for the upgraded version.) and the bosses.

EDIT: This intro video seen partially in the RTX trailer above.

Looks like they're ready to missile strike the surface but nope those were drop pods and here's "Big Gun" and it's annoying EMP effect, well that's a bit of a whoops moment.

But Stroggos itself and it's aesthetics are also visible and then brought over to Quake 4 continuing the story with similar aesthetics but some overhauls to enemy and weapon designs.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Hey since this uses Vulkan then I guess it will work on earlier W10 versions than 1809 too? As it doesn't need DXR?

18. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Quake 2 was the only game they could get RTX on with stable frame rate ... :3

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    i wonder if this will run on GTX parts but without the path tracing stuff on, wouldn't mind a 'mostly' overhaul of Q2 XD.

20. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    You cant really call those matches against bots Singleplayer in Q3. (Tho its named SP)

Last edited: May 28, 2019