OMFG (again) Which SUV?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Mr.Bigtime, Oct 17, 2009.

?

WHICH SUBV

1. HONDA CRV

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
  2. TOYOTA RAV-4

13 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. KIA SORENTO

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  4. JEEP COMPASS

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  5. JEEP PATRIOT

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  6. DODGE NITRO

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
  1. hawkeyefan

hawkeyefan Maha Guru

GPU:
    8800GT @ 787/1944/2244

Totally agree on all counts, and LOL @ the Raptor.

<<<< 4.0L Cherokee in the driveway. Third one I've owned.

2. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    I seen a lot of jeeps make it to 250k-300k before dying but I would assume that the owners took good care of it.

3. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    I've got a Suzuki Grant Vitara Prestige, I love my car personally =)

4. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    CRV or RAV-4 for my vote. I've rode in both of them before and they seem good. Friend had a CRV with 100k miles on it and it was still running like a champ haha.

5. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    imo 100k marker isn't much when judging how many more miles you will get. if it is still running good after 150k like the elcomino I had then it will probably go past the 200k marker which is good but doing routine maintenance on the engine is must for ensuring you get over 250k on the engine and a lot of people these days are too lazy to take care of their car's engine.

6. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    yeah you're right and depends on if its city miles or highway miles, constant maintenance is a must :D

7. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    I tell you what when I 1st got my car I pulled the spark plugs out of the engine the spark plug's igniter was pitch black and the air filter was black and I was amazed that the car made it to 132,0000 after seeing the looks of the spark plugs and air filter and I still need to put in new spark plug wires oh and when I got the car the transmission fluid was pretty low and I had to add some to it.the last owners took poor care of the engine imo and should own a car because I consider it a privilege to have one.

8. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Hi,

Lets see wats going on here..RAV-4?..and its vehicle tax is cheaper than NITRO too. i watched this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUTNIwEtr84

even commented 3 weeks ago lol. its quality scks bigtime.

*BMW x1..it will be overpriced and i think i cant GO for it :(

*Suzuki Grant Vitara Prestige, will look for that thanx for heads up.

*I forgot to POST VW Tiguan but its Manual Transmission and a bit small i guess.

*i take good care my cars..my BMW1 is still looks like new lol. so if i buy jeep i am going to care with it like my baby imoa.

*nm+, my selections sucks but u must consider that what can i go and buy in this country.. Do u all know we pay more TAX than u here to CARS? wats a 0Km bmw 1s money tehre? here it start from 26k euros..and its empty car interms of options..compass is 35.000 euros. Mercedes C is 45k euros..anyway..i cant find subaru or other stuff here..a few palces to sell. i need service in my city. thanx all..i think i will give a visit to TOYOTA and HONDA.

*and i forgot to post CHEVROLET CAPTIVA ..damn.

9. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    I know you can get a Jeep Cherokee there. Used. You obviously have Jeep dealers.
    --Wellington P Funk

10. hawkeyefan

hawkeyefan Maha Guru

GPU:
    8800GT @ 787/1944/2244
    Yeah, those things are freaking bombproof. I think they're based on the old 1950s era Dodge 218. One of the greatest engines ever. they always have valve noise even when they're new but just run like hell.

I had a 1989 Cherokee Laredo that went 385k before I sold it to a friend as a work vehicle (professional painter). He put another 90k on it, then got drunk and broke the front axle on a curb. Wasn't even burning oil at that point.

Hilarious read, nm+.

11. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    as of 2006, they sqeezed out only 190 hp and 312 nm out of a 6 cylinder 4 liter engine? :wanker:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  12. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    i had time to give a visit to Chevrolet captiva yesterday..not a bad suv interms of internal quality..couldbt test drive :(...

13. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    You forgot about the fact that it will last forever.
    Its a truck motor. It makes low end torque.

14. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    in this point may i ask u something, toque is important for? acceleration? the balance? the pulling power or what ever it is? u seem knowing things better than me. :) .iam such a noob and never been in cars in detail. thanx.

15. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    VW also made torquey diesels in 2006 like :

2.5 R5 TDI 2003- 2,460 cc (150.1 cu in) I5 Turbo 174 PS (128 kW; 172 bhp), 400 N·m (295 ft·lbf)

2,967 cc (2.967 L; 181.1 cu in) turbo V6 240 PS (180 kW; 240 hp), 550 N·m (410 lb·ft)@2000

ok so the last one is not relevant but the first one was made in 2003 and compare it to the one of the jeep 4l, to be honest i don't know what is so amazing about that engine, i think the 2.5 tdi on the touareg is more amazing , ok the reliability might not be the same like the jeep one but i know a guy who still has his touareg since 2004.

btw MrBigtime, i would go for a 2.5 TDI Touareg, might be more expensive but with the prices of second hand cars today, in Germany you can find good deals on it

16. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    i will let nm+ answer this, he is really good about this stuff, but from what i know, torque is the force applied by the wheels on the road, so it is used for pulling power. A high torque car with less HP will pull more weigh than a car with not enough torque but a lot of HP, that will just go really fast if it is really really light. Am i right? :-s

17. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    Horsepower= (torque*RPM)/5252
    However, when talking about torque, we are really referring to low end torque. Low end torque is grunt. It is what gets you going. It is good for off-road and towing in particular, but useful in everyday situations. Really, for daily driving, torque is what you feel.
    Lets compare two cars that I'm quite familiar with.
    In one corner, we have the 2005-2006 Subaru Legacy GT.
    It weights in at ~3350lbs.
    It has 250 hp at 6000rpms. This makes for a power to weight ratio of 13.4 lbs per hp.
    It has 250 ft-lbs at 3000rpm.
    The torque curve basically starts at 2500rpms when the boost kicks and runs fairly flat throughout the range.

The next corner we have the 2004+ RX-8
    It weighs about 3110.
    It has 232 hp at 8500 RPMs. This makes for a power to weight ratio of about 13.4. Strange. . . . :)
    It has a whopping 159 ft-lbs at 5500rpms. It basically has torque nowhere.

You can really tell the difference in power daily because, you're rarely going to 9 grand daily.

And it shows itself in performance numbers too. Road and track took both of these down the 1.4 mile.
    Legacy GT: 13.7@ 99.2mph
    RX-8: 14.8 sec @ 95.2 mph

However, the 4.0 HO isn't going to win any races (though it was the fastest SUV out there short of a GMC Typhoon when it came out in the early 90s). It has is substantial low end torque (225@3000 rpms to move 3300lbs). This allows it to haul lots of ****, crawl rocks, and those other things you're buying a truck for.

18. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    thanx dude ;)