*Official* 6600K & 6700K Owners Experience Thread

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Mr Terry Turnip, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Coolerking

Coolerking Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX5700 XT
    Howdy, I have a pile of parts here and one of them is an i5 6600k, so I guess this is my new home..haha.
    I'm making the switch after being an amd cpu guy for decades. no real reason, just thought it was time to try something new.
    I'm putting it in a MSI Z170A-M5, 212 evo cooler..HAF case, TX750 PSU, win 10/64.
    I also grabbed 16Gb of Vengeance LPX 3200 DDR4 (2x8)
    My first world problem is that I have a freesync 4k monitor, so I'm going to give the R9 Fury X a shot...who knows what will happen, but that's the point when you get older...
    Anyhow hope all is well with you all, and I"ll report back when I get it all up and running...Peace!

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Enjoy your new PC! :pc1:

3. Coolerking

Coolerking Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX5700 XT
    Thank you sir!
    It's been a while since I made a huge upgrade, feels good...:banana:

4. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    Yeah buddy! I bet you are loving it! What do you have your cpu at right now? Im sure you have hit 4.5 ghz fairly easily, seems to be the sweet spot for these processors.

Enjoy your new #firstworldproblems toy!

Something I have been doing lately is replaying older games (2012-ish) and downsampling 4k. It looks amazing. You have a native 4k monitor which will look even better.

Whatever you do, I am sure you will have fun!

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    My experience so far...

A year ago I got a 6600K and some Corsair Vengeance LPX 30000MHz 4x4GB.
    In 2 different mobos (around £130) I got 4.7GHz with the 6600K but couldnt get the ram stable at anything more than 2800MHz using particular BIOS versions.
    A friend bought my CPU and mobo, I got a 6700K and Asus Maximus VIII Hero mobo (£180) using the same ram.
    Custom water cooler for the CPU.

Initially the ram worked at its rated speed (3000MHz) yahoo, but wouldnt go any faster.
    I got the 6700K to 4.6GHz with Adaptive +0.05v (cant remember the LLC) but the temps of each core were quite different to each other, I didnt know why.
    CPU cache 4.4GHz.
    6 months later I delidded the 6700K, temps dropped by about 15C initially but it wasnt truly stable at anything faster.

A lot of bios updates had passed and I hadnt tried overclocking the ram since I bought it so gave it a go.
    Amazingly it was stable at 3600MHz, 1.405V and remained cool to the touch.
    XMP timings were 15,17,17,35. These were upped to 17,18,18,41 and tRFC = 480.

Over a week or so my CPU core temps changed though.
    A few cores were rising in temp until they were 15 to 30C higher than the starting temp, some reaching 90C !!
    It took a lot of investigation and MX3 paste to work out that I was over tightening my waterblock which was designed for socket 775 and 1155.
    Stripping it down I noticed that the CPU core had paste on the outside of the core but not in the center.
    I realised the core was bending!
    *The solution was to tighten the cooler only slightly*

For the first time my core temps became close to each other.
    This shows that with the stock chip (not delidded), coolers not designed for socked 1151 can bend a stock skylake chip enough to cause some cores to get much hotter.
    The 1151 socket bends too, its not just down to the weak CPU substrate.

After fixing this with vastly reduced cooler tightening, I was able to get 4.7GHz stable for the first time on my 6700K!
    Temps dropped 10 to 20C depending on the core.

My overclocks:
    adaptive, -0.07V, LLC level 5 @ 4.6GHz. Voltage shows as 1.1408V using Asus AI suite, the only thing that shows voltage used correctly.
    adaptive, -0.06V, LLC level 6 @ 4.7GHz. Voltage shows as 1.475V

Lesson is, dont tighten older coolers on Skylake chips much at all.
    If you notice your CPU core temps differ a lot, this might be why.
    I got lucky my chip didnt break, I was locking down my cooler hard at first!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Welcome back Mufflore :)

And congrats on new rig :nerd:

7. Coolerking

Coolerking Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX5700 XT
    I'm liking it so far, haven't really messed with it other than to set it @4.5.
    So far so good, temps are never above 58 or so.
    I'm still having a hard time playing games, mainly because they look so freaking amazing on the new fury x and 4k monitor, its hard to concentrate, I find myself just looking around.
    Coming from a 7950 and a 965...its a pretty big jump...
    I also read about the coolers busting the skylake chips at times, so careful is the word.!

8. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    @Mufflore your isn't the first time i've read about intel 6th gen cpus bending under pressure from old coolers/blocks , there were certain manufacturers that released updated brackets for there old stock to stop the over tightening and thus bending the pcb the silicon is on .

I noted this when i first got my 6700k and compared the thickness of the pcb with my old ivy bridge which was much thicker.

so be aware anyone that's using old cpu coolers with the new 14nm chips , don't over tighten folks ,and i sure this will be the same with the next 7th Generation to

9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Cheers Tj.
    Thats what I like about Guru3D, its friendly here :)

+1
    Its really easy to do.

I still have a slight problem with it, looks like I need to slack off a bit more.
    Over the past few days 2 cores (no doubt 1 core and its HT core) have risen by 10C. This is much better than before when 4 or 6 cores would jump, in temp. Its also a lot less of a rise than 15 to 30C, so I'm definitely on the right track.
    The downer is I'm running low on paste cos each time it happens I have to re-apply paste to the core+lid and lid+heatsink.

With the extra 10C on those cores I'm back down to 4.6GHz, 4.7GHz isnt fully stable.

A potential issue for those that delid.
    If you do have a proper socket 1151 cooler, it might not make good enough contact once you delid.
    Delidding places the lid closer to the core, effectively resting on it.
    The much lighter locking of a 1151 cooler might become too light.
    I cant confirm this happens, its food for thought.

I'm considering trying a direct die contact with my water block.
    The lid is quite thick though, I'm not sure the block can cover the gap.
    Also the CPU clamp acts on the lid.
    Once the lid is removed the pressure holding the CPU in place will come from the core/heatsink contact only.
    Not sure if thats safe.

To be clear, my lid currently floats on the CPU core, the lid has no contact with the CPUs PCB.
    The pressure from the CPU lever mechanism clamps the CPU in place through the core only.
    My concern is that this contact pressure will be much lower with only the heatsink providing pressure.
    A bad connection on a high current power connection could cause a burn out.

10. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Welcome back Mufflore!

Indeed its been a... while. :p

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I'm still running my 6600K at only 4.2ghz. Don't really see a reason to push it any further yet. A recent UEFI update finally allowed me to run my memory at 2666 while overclocked.

12. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    i have a non k, can i join the club?

13. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    New BIOS update for Asus Z170 boards. For mine it seems to have a microcode update (probably for KBL), management engine bumped from 11 to 11.6, and intel speed shift is also enabled by default. Probably some other stuff too because there are some changes to the settings.

One cosmetic bug though, task manager reports RAM speed as 2133Mhz but any other program will report it correctly (aida, hwinfo, etc).

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  14. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I've just noticed that, at least for the Maximus VIII Hero, the bios was taken down from their website. And in true Asus fashion, no reason was stated.

15. eGGroLLiO

eGGroLLiO Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080ti FTW3
    I just joined the club!

16. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    Welcome aboard!

Post your oc so we can so how well your chip does :)

17. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUFF 3080 12Gb
  18. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    since i have had my Asus Z170M-Plus motherboard , and i was one of the very first to buy with a i7-6700K cpu, there have been numerous bios updates, some worked but with penalties, i.e, no adaptive .... I am in the process of getting my 3rd Asus Z170M-Plus motherboard. Booting probs!

Is it me or Asus? I have definitely not been lucky with that brand over the yrs. For the last 10 or more years Giga has been my mainstay . I only got this poxy board as giga had not released a micro at the time :bang:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  19. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    What's the common voltage for 4.5GHz?
    I've set it to 1.255v in the bios but it goes to 1.280v vcore (not vid) and I'll take the latter as the effective voltage. I've it stable for the time being @ 4.5GHz 1.28v. Is this normal, low, or high for the 6700k? I run stock 4.2Ghz + HT at 1.20v. Should I disable CPU SVID (the external voltage regulator)?
    Setting the multiplier to 46 quickly fails in the aida64 stress test. No bsod's but it's obviously not stable at that voltage. I'm running my RAM at 3000Mhz if it makes any difference.

20. G-lad21

G-lad21 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1070@ACX3.0
    your RAM could limit your OC. give some more juice to VCCIO and VCCSA, about 0.1V+ to each of them.

disable XMP and auto voltage and time your self according to your ram.
    i managed to get Stable 4.6Ghz at 1.35Vcore Steady, youll need a good cooler aswell

EDIT: i saw you have a msi 1070, does it coil whine? thanks

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017