NVIDIA Sells Two SKUs of each Turing GPU (a normal and OC model)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Thunk_It likes this.
  2. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    This sounds like they're trying to artificially create premiums that they can charge more for which i'm not a fan of i hope the none OC version dies off and goes away forever as its unneeded and doesn't cost any more or less to produce.

GSDragoon, tunejunky and schmidtbag like this.
  3. blazngun

blazngun Guest

GPU:
    GTX 760
    Isn't the more likely scenario that both start life as the same chip, but once binned, the higher performing chips get an "A" designation. Makes perfect sense for reference cards to use the lower performing bins.

pharma likes this.
  4. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
    It would have to be the oc model that would die off otherwise nvidia would be throwing away a pile of otherwise usable gpu's
    You could still get your higher binned parts then as per usual.

Any word on how much of a difference there is between the 2 sku's

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Nvidia better look out - Intel might get upset that their ideas are being copied without permission.

tunejunky likes this.
  6. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Sounds like buying a locked versus unlocked CPU equivalent now. Just another reason to add a premium.

7. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    My disappointment with Nvidia is growing by the day, they are heading towards Apple levels.

Fox2232 and airbud7 like this.
  8. Pimpiklem

Pimpiklem Guest

GPU:
    amd
    They keep pushing into the board partners territory because they see lost $$$$
    This will only hurt MSI Asus Gainward Evga Zotac Gigabyte inno3d ect ect ect
    First these duel fan cards now this.
    Lets see if it back fires on them because these board partner are having to keep absorbing Nvidia greed, because now they will have to pay more.

H83 likes this.
  9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Honestly, I don't really have much of a problem with this. IMO, the market is over-saturated with AIB partners (for either Nvidia or AMD) anyway. From what I hear, profit margins are pretty minimal, where I'm sure these companies are cutting corners. Fewer competitors should help improve this situation (note, I said fewer, there should still be several competitors for a healthy market).

tunejunky likes this.
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    given the size of each chip, there are obviously going to be less yields of high asic quality end product, this makes sense.

it also quantifies opinion that 12nm will not be used long term.

11. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    And the squeeze-roo keeps going. I wish AMD was more competitive right now. Thankfully, from 2020 on, Intel will be too.

cryohellinc and Prince Valiant like this.
  12. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Well I guess this ok as long as there is a significant difference in the max achievable OC from an "A" die vs regular die. If this were the case then perhaps it's worth spending a bit more money on the better binned "A" version, but we'll have to see how much of a difference the price is compared to any max OC differences that may or may not be seen.

13. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    It makes some sense selling better chips at a (small) premium but i have a feeling that the difference between the two chips is going to be minimal. Not to mention that Nvidia has limits regarding higher overclocks so it´s possible both chips will OC almost the same, the biggest difference could be on the thermal profiles.

I disagree with this. I hate the fact that Nvidia is trying to compete directly against their AIB partners with their own cards, it´s like Nvidia is telling them directly to frack off at the same time it makes business with them... I really wish people would stop buying their FE cards because if those become to successful one day Nvidia may be tempted to cut ties with their AIBs and simply sell their cards directly...

14. Pimpiklem

Pimpiklem Guest

GPU:
    amd
    I find it confusing when people say i wish AMD was more competitive.
    My gaming experience is fantastic i can max all my games out so the statement is kind of nonsense to me.
    Its clear people dont own a VEGA because if they did they would realise how stupid that statement sounds.

XenthorX, tunejunky and Yogi like this.
  15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    They are talking about competitive in the market... it's pretty obvious they aren't competitive when Nvidia is selling out $1200 video cards. Whether that be due to performance, advertising, clout in the industry, whatever.. doesn't really matter.

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Problem is Vega only had competition with the 1080(which even then Vega 64 would still end up pulling behind the 1080), and not the Ti. HBM2 made it expensive and yields were low so availability sucked ontop of Miners buying them up when they were available. Vega is not bad, but just was not available to anyone and Pascal has it's place in the market too much for Vega to take down.

17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    As long as there are still several AIB competitors and prices aren't affected, why dies it matter? Sure, it sucks for some of the smaller partners, but like I said, the market is already over-saturated. The only thing to worry about is if Nvidia attempts to weed out all AIB partners.

That's because people have stupid logic that goes "if AMD can't create 1080Ti performance, none of their products are worth considering", even if they have a display that that doesn't warrant so much processing power.

carnivore, tunejunky and Yogi like this.
  18. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
    It's not even at the higher end of the market where nvidia has this superior mystique.
    I remember a few years ago a mate of mine was convinced that a gtx970 was an upgrade over his rx480.
    There's no doubt that in the highest tiers like the 1080ti/titan and the new 20xx series have no competition but at the lower tiers I would not recommend nvidia over amd or vice versa
    The only recommendation I would give would be based on performance/€

19. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    my hope is whatever intel shows up with in a year or two kicks nvidia's rear so hard they have to rush a thermi2.0 lineup to avoid bankruptcy

20. zig11727

zig11727 Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080 Ti
    No competition and this is what happens the price is just to high.