No AGP Texture Acceleration

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by griffin_t, Oct 19, 2003.

1. griffin_t

griffin_t New Member

GPU:
    BFG 7900GT OC @ 554/1600
    Help!

No matter what I do, I can't seem to get AGP Texture Acceleration enabled in DirectX without serious problems arising.

System Specs:

A7V600 motherboard - bios 1005
    Athlon XP 2000+ CPU
    2 x 256meg pc2700 DDR RAM
    Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
    Radeon 9500 non-pro 128meg
    Creative Labs Audigy 2
    DirectX 9.0b installed
    430W Power Supply

Now, I've done searches on many boards on this problem - so please don't tell me to use my search function

I've re-formatted and re-installed repeatedly. I've tried the Hyperion 4.48's the 4.49's and the 4.43's. I've tried Cat 3.6, 3.7, 3.8's. I've fiddled my AGP settings to x4/x8, with Fast Writes and without and all sorts of combinations in my BIOS settings and no matter what I do my system ends up being -very- unstable with -any- of the AGP drivers installed. I get blackscreens, random reboots, blue screens of death, lockups, you name it. The only way my system seems to be happy is if I leave the basic PCI drivers that Windoze installs. And oddly enough the ONLY way I seem to be able to get Texture Acceration enabled and my AGP functions to work is to either a) uninstall SMARTGART or b) uninstall the entire ATI control panel. If I do that, I get the AGP texture acceleration. For all the good it does me though, since if I do get it enabled my system pretty much becomes so unstable as to be unusable.

All my other drivers are up to date, I've applied the AMD/AGP/Windows 2k registry 'fix'. My CPU temperature doesn't go above 45c. I've checked for IRQ conflicts and there aren't any. I'm at witts end here. Anyone else had this problem and actually resolved it?

2. Altazimuth

Altazimuth Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X 5870
    Some peeps here with the same problem and some solutions : here

What do progs like Powerstrip, Sandra, etc say about your AGP setup?

3. biggestC

biggestC Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD M880G ATI Mobility
    have you installed the latest via 4in1's? i had the same prob with my A7V8X-X mobo and installed the 4in1's and voila, prob solved :D

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2

Last edited: Oct 20, 2003
  4. effenjee

effenjee Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9800xt
    I occasionally get this problem. All I do to fix the problem is uninstall all vid drivers and reinstall the drivers that came on the cd...

5. Demiurg

Demiurg Master Guru

GPU:
    Hightech Excalibur 9700
    yeah..just did that...i installed the 4.49 4in1´s AFTER installing the cats, no agp-acc.
    did it the other way around..WORKED!

6. griffin_t

griffin_t New Member

GPU:
    BFG 7900GT OC @ 554/1600
    Been there, done that...

Uh huh, thanks for the responses but do please read my message before suggesting that I use new 4in1's or anything of that sort - since I've done all this about 20-30 times. Saves both you and I time ;)

News from the front lines...

Installed XPsp1 to see if it was just a Win2k problem. No dice. XP craps out just like Win2k does.

Swapped out the Rad9500 and threw a Rad7000/VE AGP in. Exact same problems. Installed the 9500 in my Celeron 566/Apollo board using the 4.46's. Worked like a dream. I'm SO confused. At least it's not my card dying.

Tried 4.46 drivers on the Asus/AMD. *crash crash crash*

Tested (and still am testing) my memory. No errors as of yet.

Been able to get texture accel. activated, but only by uninstalling SMARTGART (is it really so smart? ;p) which then (according to Pstrip) allows AGP hardware transfers. Problem is, system is still very unstable. Even the splash screen for installing the ATI drivers will lock me up. It'll display about the first 3rd of the splash screen then end in a lockup with a line of corrupted texture where it's died ;p On 'fortunate' occasions I've been able to get the Direct3d tests to run. I'll get a corrupted band of texture about the waist of the spinning DX box in the DX7 test, but the DX 8 & 9 tests seem to run without corruption.

Back to the fight!

7. Aropredator

Aropredator Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RS 3090 OC 24G
    Ok. No need to uninstall smartgart. Just open advance smartgart utilities by run smartgart.exe. Make sure all those pci read/write and agp read/write option were on.

8. griffin_t

griffin_t New Member

GPU:
    BFG 7900GT OC @ 554/1600
    Done that...

Yup. I do that, I reboot to test the settings....

*crash*

Then it reboots and shows me the Adv. SmartGart panel before my desktop comes up and AGP Read/Write are -off-. It's obviously setting me back to what it rightfully considered stable settings.

9. MiNI

MiNI Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 6950 unlock 950/1400
    bad mobo maybe?